“Posh without being stuffy, central Aspen location, dog friendly digs”

The Limelight Hotel
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Limelight is a great 4-star Aspen hotel. It offers a classy luxury experience without feeling too stuffy. With only four floors, it is doesn't feel to large and many of the rooms have stunning views -- try to book a room facing Aspen Mountain. Rooms are updated and the sheets were high quality, the beds comfortable. I also liked the microwave in room, so I could heat up my leftovers. The location, right in the center of town, is also great. It isn't true ski-in/ski-out but they will shuttle guests to Aspen mountain on a moment's notice and also run shuttles to the other resorts.

Best of all if you are traveling with dogs, this hotel is very dog friendly. The staff goes out of their way to remember your pups names and there are no restrictions on size of dog or breed, as long as they are well behaved. The Limelight has a lobby area where meals are served and they have a few tables far enough removed from the main dining room where you can eat with your dog inside -- and get full service. This is a cool feature as so many hotels don't have this option at all.

For a laid-back but still posh sleeping experience in Aspen this hotel is hard to beat in the mid-range bracket. Please note this isn't a five star hotel, so if you want that experience, I suggest booking their sister property, the Little Nell.

Oh and they also have one of the best happy hours in Aspen and a great apres ski scene. The hotel is popular with athletes -- when I was there the entire Red Bull pro team was also staying.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Aspen mountain for stellar views. Some, but not all, rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PlanetBlond
There are newer reviews for The Limelight Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2014

My family and I spent closing weekend in Aspen to ski and visit with friends.
Staying at the Limelight was the best choice we had made for the whole weekend. The room was incredible (beautiful, comfortable, and upscale), the complimentary breakfast was great for the whole family and we were just steps away from Aspen Highland mountain. We spent some nights hanging out at the hotel restaurant visiting friends with a roaring fire, live music, and great food (try the personal pizzas and their signature cocktails - amazing!!!), not to mention the apres-ski time spent in the hot tub and watching the kids swim. I would recommend the Limelight for any family and for a romantic get-away as well! Enjoy :)

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a view (3rd floor or up) - so nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CGGAScott
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The rooms are nice (microwave, fridge, dishes are a plus) and clean, but bathtubs average. Staff are pretty good, but not always top-notch; the ski concierge is very disorganized (lost my skis the 1st day, my friend's the next). The breakfast has a lot of variety, but the cooked dishes (eggs) and coffee are below average. Location is close to shopping/dining, about a 4 block walk to Aspen mountain, shuttle service is good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
TheLimelightHotel, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

L H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at the Limelight. It is not okay for our team to have misplaced your skis and your friend's skis. I am glad that it was quickly rectified, but it should have never happened and please accept my apologies.

I also understand that you were not fully satisfied with the egg dishes and coffee. I personally inspect these items daily and if they are not up to our standards they are changed out. We do have a lot of guests that stay with us and with that we have a lot of different preferences for how the eggs should be cooked and the type of coffee that people prefer. If you do choose to come back please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss your exact preferences so that we can work with you to make that happen. My email is rstettner@limelighthotel.com.

Thank you again for coming to Aspen and staying with us at the Limelight.

All the best,

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We loved the hotel, it's location, the staff and many of the amenities. The hotel is located centrally in the middle of town with access both to the slopes, restaurants nearby and a free shuttle to any of the other mountains or the airport. The hotel and its staff does a wonderful job of catering to its guests and making their stay as enjoyable as possible.

The only issue we had was that our inbound flight was canceled due to weather at the Aspen airport and were stuck in Denver for the night. The hotel would not credit us back that first night stay and so we were stuck with having to pay for a room that we didn't stay in. This is hotel policy but a free drink at the bar would have been nice to compensate. So I would buy trip insurance if flying into Aspen airport, particularly since cancellations and delays into that airport are apparently extremely common.

Aside from that hiccup, our stay was fantastic and I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to have a nice, relaxing stay in Aspen.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
TheLimelightHotel, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Will M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Limelight. It seems as though you really enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and the services that we provide.

You are right on the money about purchasing trip insurance as flying into Aspen is a challenge at times given our weather in the winter. This small detail can become a huge life saver for people when flights do get cancelled. I am truly sorry that this affected your overall perception of your visit to Aspen. I hope that you choose to come back and please feel free to contact me directly to assist with your reservation. My email address is rstettner@limelighthotel.com.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights. Wow. What a beautiful property. Breakfast was delicious, so much variety. We had room service 3 nights in a row, because the food was so very good!! We didn't use all of the amenities, so I can't comment on them. I can give my highest compliments to the housekeeping staff. The place is spotless, and they are like ninjas, basically invisible. And powerful!!! This is by far the best 4 star property I've ever stayed at. Love love love the Limelight.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eliza P
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Our 5-day stay in Aspen was augmented positively by our Limelight experience. Our room (a deluxe with 2 queen-sized beds) was spacious, fully stocked with high quality amenities, and very comfortable. The hotel services were the equivalent of a 5-star hotel. Transportation, food, equipment and equipment care, entertainment, booking advice and services, and staff friendliness made for a carefree and comfortable vacation. Access to nearby ski and snowshoe areas is virtually unlimited. Great restaurants, events, and shopping are all in walking distance. This hotel should be a model for all others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I can't think of any other superlatives. The Limelight provided my wife and I just a perfect stay for 5 days in early March. They have large SUV;'s and vans and luxury cars with the nicest and most courteous drivers. They just don't say "no". The front desk staff is very efficient and knowledgeable. The room (#415 I think) was huge with views of Ajax and downtown Wagner park from the spacious shared 4th floor balcony. The bathroom was well done and elegant. The bed was not over-stuffed but very comfortable. It was so quiet at night you thought you were out at a country ranch. Better yet there was a kitchen with a full-sized fridge/freezer. We walked a block to a liquor store and stocked up for bloody Mary's in the am! But I must repeat the mantra seen in previous reviews: The breakfast buffet is unique and robust. So much for every palate. I really appreciated this pre-ski. Of course we were there to ski, and we had previously stayed up in Snow Mass at the venerable Viceroy. (The Viceroy pampered us with ski-in/out and I was not sure we were going to like having to walk to Ajax or get a shuttle out to snowmass or buttermilk or highlands). But this being our 2nd ski trip to the Aspen/Snowmass 4 mountain area, we decided to stay in Aspen, close to all of the nightlife and fine dining and shopping. If you rent your equipment from 4-Mountain sports and just turn it back in every day, you don't have to lug all that gear around-which is nice. The hotel was always there to drop you off and pick you up at whichever resort you ended up that day. And the apres-ski scene at Limelight is one of the best in town. Just a great atmosphere with gourmet pizza aplenty. Location is superior as you are short walks to everything the little town has to offer. The only thing that was disappointing (and this is not Limelight's fault) is that Aspen Mountain is just a short walk, and I thought that we would be doing most of our turns there, until I realized that Ajax is a bit much for a Novice-Intermediate couple of skiers from the deep south!
But I assure you you cannot go wrong with the LimeLight. I probably left out a lot but feel free to email if any questions.

Room Tip: It looked like almost all levels above the ground floor had some type of balcony-either private or s...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
TheLimelightHotel, General Manager at The Limelight Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear ramolon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very thorough review of your recent stay with us. You hit on a couple great points such as the views from the rooms and the overall care/concern of our staff. The staff here will truly give you the best local insight into town, the mountains and anything you ask them about. They really do want to help make sure you create amazing memories of Aspen and your time here.

I hope that you get the opportunity to return and maybe take part in our Inside Tracks program which can help orient you to all of the mountains so that you can find the type of runs that you are most comfortable on.

Warm regards,