“great hotel”

Mountain Chalet Aspen
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed 31 December 2007

My wife and I stayed here over Christmas. For Aspen its very well priced, but that still means its expensive!

Very freindly and helpful check in and front desk. large, well appointed rooms - the bathrooms actually have tile heaters in the floor!. The underground garage is heated and a welcome relief not to have to dig your car out of a snow drift in the morning. While I didn't try the pool several other did - even though its was snowing at the time!

Breakfast was nice and the all day tea/coffee in the lobby was a good touch when coming back in from the outside. Excellent location as well.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AussieinDC

Reviewed 9 November 2007

I have been going to Aspen since I was 7, I have stayed at the hotel since I was 7, this hotel ROX!! They are so great there, you feel at home even though you aren't home and it is so confortable! Its the best hotel ever and no one can argue! it is on the base of Ajax I mean really! Its awesome! the hotel owners, the manager, and employees are great there so nice and you everyone who stays there are great company if its sitting by the fire, or breakfast before a long day on the mountain, whatever it is it is the best!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank MountainChaletRox
Reviewed 12 September 2007

We found ourselves with a night to kill in Aspen, awaiting the birth of our grandbaby. We didn't want to spend a lot, so looked into the Mountain Chalet. With a AARP discount, we got a very charming, queen room overlooking Ajax mountain (and the St Regis...), for about $75, including a very nice cont bkfst and free garage parking. This is the first ski lodge in Aspen, substantially enlarged and remodeled. It's right on Wagner Park, site of the Food & Wine Festival and, this week, rugby tournaments. You couldn't ask for a better location. It's not fancy, but it's like what most of us look for in small, charming European lodges. There's always free coffee, and cookies in the cozy lobby. We loved it and will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChefGeorge
Reviewed 25 February 2007

Cold Turkey over the phone, I booked at the Chalet for my first trip to Aspen with Steve. He was friendly & accommodating. Because there were no one room for all 5 nights, I agreed to switch rooms as they became available. He discounted the original room rates for me. This was a great booking experience to somewhere I did not know. Yes, the check-in experience was anxiety ridden for various reasons. The problem was a room availabilty, and there was question of a refund needed. Craig said he would check the facts with Steve, and he would get back to me. Would I have preferred an immediate answer to the refund? Yes, but I was staying for several days. So I decided to enjoy my stay, and I trusted Steve to follow through with the refund. Craig and his staff did respond quickly to getting a room ready. Craig touched base with me each day, and he and Steve resolved the refund issue with me. It was to my satisfaction, and it was told to me before check-out day. Their location in Aspen was very convenient, but I feel there were two other features I was pleased with. First, the front desk, cleaning & breakfast staffs were very friendly & accommodating to me. After all, I left tips for all. Laurie requires extra mention for her friendly, patient & stick-to-it-ness for getting my first time sleigh ride when all avenues seemed blocked. Boy, did I enjoy that whole ride experience! The casualness & home-like atmosphere of their front sitting rooms were very relaxing & pleasing as were the other guests all sharing the rooms each evening. Would I stay there again? Yes, I would. I just hope I get the chance to return to Aspen.

Stayed: November 2006
4  Thank LadyMaggie
Reviewed 13 January 2007

We stayed here over the NYE holiday. The requirement was a 5 night stay and for the 30th and 31st the only room was a 2 bedroom apt. A deposit was required for half the cost of the stay. Unfortunately the airline messed up and made me miss my flight to Aspen which was the last flight out. I still had to pay for the night at the hotel so I was really upset. I called the hotel and told them what happened and told them I was taking the first flight in early the next morning.
When I arrived exhausted (I stayed up all night at the airport) at 9:30 am to find that the hotel had let someone check in early to my room. They didn't have another room for me to check in to right away. They said they will have the 2 bedroom apt. available around noon. I was very upset since I had to pay for the room anyways but did not get a room. I asked if there was some way they could compensate me for this since I was not getting the room I was being charged. They said that was not their policy. I went around and around with the general manager named Craig. He was not very accommodating. He said he would have to talk to the person I talked to the night before to verify that I had called the night before. I found this to be extremely poor service. I should not have had to defend myself. I was being charged for the room and not being given the room. Since I am paying for the room I should have a room to stay until check out time that day ( I was changing rooms to the 2 bedroom apt. after the first night). I had to wait 3 days before the employee came to work to verify I had called. He was very nice and helpful, but the general manager was awful. He got nasty during the initial debate and offered to find me and my friends another place to stay.
I would never stay at this hotel again. There are so many hotels in Aspen and if you can avoid this one, do. The rooms were like a mountain cabin. Nothing special. Any decent hotel would have rectified the situation immediately without getting nasty and having to verify my story with the clerk (as if I was lying).

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank skytravelgal
MCAInnkeeper, General Manager / Owner at Mountain Chalet Aspen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2008

This guest was to be in a room for one night (as she stated) and at 9:00 the next morning, as they had not arrived, we allowed the guest who was staying in that room following them to check in. This guest then arrived at 9:30 wanting to get into the room. We would have been checking them in at 9:30 and back out an hour and a half later.

To accommodate them, we had their apartment ready half an hour later. In the end, because of this half hour inconvenience, we credited them $130.

We could have, as they wanted, told the new guest they could not go in the room until 11:00 even though it was vacant and clean, but that seemed unkind. Could you imagine if I told this guest that they could not get into a vacant and clean room until the official check-in time of 2:00 how they would complain?

Our goal every day is to be fair and to offer all our guests the best service we can.

Reviewed 1 December 2006

My friend and I only stayed one night in Aspen, but we stayed at the Mountain Chalet.... It was a great place for the price (esp. since most of the hotels in Aspen are very expensive). Yes, the bathroom could use some updating, but other than that it was a nice place. It is walking distance to pretty much everything in downtown Aspen which is great, including they have a parking lot under the building. Aspen doesn't have alot of parking, so this is a bonus. Breakfast was nice and I heard that the owners usually come down and visit with the guests. They have alot of amenities which is nice.... unfortunately we only used the hot tub, which is actually quite large, but it was a little too hot. All in all we had a great stay. The staff seemed very helpful and nice. I would stay here again if I come back to Aspen. PS - The horseback riding at T Lazy 7 Ranch (I think that is what it's name was) offered horseback riding (Sam was a great guide) - definately go out, the trails offer beautiful views of Maroon Bells.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank sunshinevt
Reviewed 10 September 2006

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful Colorado vacation. In Aspen, we chose the Mountain Chalet because of its location and very reasonable price in September. We enjoyed our stay very much and the free breakfast was great. You can't beat the location of the Mountain Chalet. It is within one block of the downtown, Aspen Mountain gondola, and the buses. The bathroom was in need of updating, but everything was very clean. One thing we didn't like was the street noise. We had to keep our window closed because of the traffic and buses going past. The outside is very cute with lots of flowers and there are some cute floral designs and murals painted on the building itself. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple