“Great service and amenities but...”

Mountain Chalet Aspen
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Staff: Other than the desk and breakfast staff, the rest were rarely seen but were efficient. The daily room service was noticeably good. At breakfast they made sure the breakfast bar (the best in town) was kept stocked and clean. We had a minor room problem which was taken care of right away. The lobby always had coffee, hot cider, tea and hot chocolate choices. From the afternoon to the evening there was a tray of cookies. Local papers were there each morning. Although we didn't use it, the four lane pool always looked clean. The spacious hot tub, adjacent locker rooms, sauna, exercise room and pool table were great amenities. Why not a rating of 5??

On Sunday, Mountain Chalet hosted a wedding event. The festivities ran into the evening. At first it was the screaming children chasing up and down the stairways. We called the desk but it didn't quiet down. Then the adults decided to bring the bar scene down to the pool area. The raucous crowd screamed like they were at a sporting event...followed by multiple people ending up in the pool...followed by even more noise! This ran on for almost two hours.

What a disappointment that the management did not prepare for the predictable finale after hours of alcohol...pool dunking. We selected this lodging because it is located away from the noisy bars. It is a great place to stay but be forewarned that this could happen to you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Aspen-Snowmass remains my favorite mountain destination after decades of skiing around the Rockies. Mountain Chalet (MCA)adds tremendously to the charm, convienence and affordability of every visit. I used to bring the family out for 2 one week trips yearly and stay at high end condos/homes or the Little Nell. Prices for those beds went north of $ 1500 a night.That is the price for the entire stay at MCA. The cleanliness of my rooms has always been amazing, The 5 Star hotels and property managers housekeeping honestly do not come close. The warmth and Old scholl ambiance of the Lobby/Lounge and breakfast area allow you meet meet people from around the globe in a wonderful atmosphere. This is not a Glitzy, over the top, in your face place where you can declare your need to spend your children's inheritance foolishly. There is no finer location in all of Aspen, Rooms are wonderfully adequate to very nice. Full hot breakfast included is a old mountain tradition thats still alive here. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Reservations folks will explain exactly what they have available. You can also use their website.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Steven G
TravellingT002, Public Relations Manager at Mountain Chalet Aspen, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

SteveG,
Thank you for the great review of your visit to the Mountain Chalet. We are glad you appreciate our kind of hospitality and that you enjoyed your stay with us in Aspen. We always say that our guests are our best investment! We hope to host you again soon! Best, The MCA Team

Reviewed 11 March 2014

It was my first time staying at this hotel and I just loved it! Great breakfast and the hotel lends itself to folks meeting each other around the Cookies and Tea bar.
Convenient location - just 100 yds. to the Gondola!

Doug

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Doug K

Dear Doug K,
Thanks so much for the 5 star review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope we've won you over as your Aspen hotel choice!
Best,
The MCA Team

Reviewed 3 March 2014

There is very little of "original Aspen" left. It is still the best ski town in North America. But, the last 20 years does see it going further and further up market. The original lodges and hotels are increasingly becoming 5 star plus at corresponding prices. The Mountain Chalet is "original Aspen". The staff is friendly and the property has a European Inn quality about it. The hot breakfast every morning and apres ski drinks with cookies and coffee in between just attest to that. The rooms are getting tired. The mattress and sofa are wearing down. However, I did have a private terrace. The housekeeping is good and cleanliness is not a problem. There is a free parking garage and a pretty good hotel gym. I fear that the property is on its final leg, and I hope that I'm wrong as I sincerely hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Do not take the first room. Ask for a room facing the St. Regis. Rooms toward the front get bus no...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mitch R
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

My husband & I had a pleasant stay. There was no "wow" factor & it's perfect for a simple, no frills stay. Considering the price, location, and room size, we were happy here. The rooms are accessed through the outdoors. We arrived in a decent sized room. I was rather impressed with the size however it was cluttered. I would've rather had more floor space & the furnishings were tacky. It smelled old & a bit funky, like visiting my grandmother's. But I have to admit, it was comfortable & I slept great!

The balcony was a nice touch too! The BREAKFAST was also remarkable. They had a nice selection and the eggs were flavorful! They even had a FRESH squeeze OJ maker which was great. The building is old, outdated, and tacky with old German paintings on the outside. They did provide parking though which was a plus!
Overall, would look elsewhere before staying again but considering the prices in Aspen, this wasn't all too bad.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ang U
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I have just returned from two weeks of glorious skiing in Aspen Colorado, travelling as always with my daughter. This is a trip we take every year and as always we stay at Mountain Chalet and have done for many years now. Mountain Chalet is a friendly and traditional establishment were guests are treated like family and is truly a home away from home. Hot and cold beverages, freshly baked cookies, open fires and comfy couches where guests can gaze up to the ski slopes are what Mountain Chalet is all about. There is a hot tub, sauna, gym and fabulous outside pool and every day guests are treated to a cooked breakfast with countless other food 'options'. Finish the day with après in the cosy atmosphere of the top level, giving unrivalled views of the charming town and adjacent mountains. Mountain Chalet is 100m from the transit terminal so handy for resort transfers and a short stroll to the gondola on Ajax. This family run Chalet with its friendly management and staff is the perfect place in Aspen. The more things stay the same...the better it gets!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter m
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I don't even consider another hotel than the Mountain Chalet. I've enjoyed every aspect of the hotel...from my room, to the reasonable rates, to the pool/spa, to the friendly staff, and to the delicious warm breakfast to name a few of the benefits by staying there. And another plus is the location...right in the heart of Aspen. My only slight disappointment was that the room we had with twin size beds was small but it served it's purpose. Whenever I visit Aspen, I stay at the MC because it feels like home.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends