After a lot of research, I chose Hotel Jerome for our second New Years trip to Aspen. We booked a suite at >$1000/nt to see the best Jerome had to offer.
The recent remodel along with the Auberge stamp of approval were what attracted us. The pics were gorgeous, as was the hotel itself. But the problems started even before we arrived...
1) Took over a month for concierge to respond to calls and emails about booking dining reservations, ski tickets etc.
2) When they called back, they called my cell phone at 6am. I don't know about you, but when my cell rings at 6am, it's usually because someone I know is in the hospital or has a serious problem. In this case, they called me at 6am to let me know that they charge $50 for an airport pickup. Not ok at all.
3) Shower and bath drain totally clogged upon arrival, and took 2 days and 3 calls to the front desk to resolve. Never did I get a single call back -- eventually it was just fixed. After my second call, I asked for the GM because I have a general belief that one should be able to shower in a $1000 room, but "he wasn't available" and that was that.
4) The restaurant was good, but service was Laurel and Hardy-esque. An absolute joke. Literally every patron was upset at their server for forgetting something. We ate there twice, enjoyed our food twice, and had and item forgotten twice. They also seem to have a rather Denny's-styles approach to giving you the bill as they drop off the food. Clearly, this will improve over time, but I can't understand why their staff uniformly seems to have never worked at a restaurant before?
5) We were embarrassed to share this at the time, but one of the masseuses was extremely inappropriate during a massage. It was his first time giving a massage at the Jerome, so I believe (but have not verified) that they hired freelance outcall masseuses to staff their spa. I'm a big fan of hotel spas, but I would strongly suggest you either book elsewhere or confirm that an experienced employee of the spa (not a Craigslist contractor) will give the massage. I have never ever had an issue like this with any masseuse.
I understand they just re-opened, but given that the rooms were priced at 100%, I expected the service level to be nearly that -- after all, this isn't a beta test.
On the plus side, the design is amazing, the location is great, and the car/shuttle service was always available for us to use. But, given the significant service issues, we'll give Hotel Jerome some time to mature before we come back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly refurbished Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort recently received the "Hot New Hotel" from Travel & Leisure for its renovation. The Hotel Jerome's 93 guest rooms and suites have been beautifully redesigned incorporating the charm of the destination with modern amenities for a luxury traveler. Aspen's best new restaurant "Prospect" offers regional cuisine, the iconic J-Bar is a local watering hole serving lunch and dinner daily with classic American cuisine. The new Living Room lobby has been energized with a bar and stylish seating areas to relax and socialize. A new Auberge Spa offers treatments for guests that will soothe and pamper after a day on the slopes or a mountain adventure. Services include twice-daily maid service, nightly turn-down. Convenient local airport and downtown transportation is provided via chauffer-driven luxury SUV. Nestled in the heart of Aspen, this landmark hotel is just a ten-minute drive from the Aspen Airport, a 75-minute drive from Eagle County Airport and less than four hours from Denver International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with MrandMrsSmith, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Aspen
- Jerome Hotel Aspen