“Looks aren't everything”

Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Aspen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 January 2013

After a lot of research, I chose Hotel Jerome for our second New Years trip to Aspen. We booked a suite at >$1000/nt to see the best Jerome had to offer.

The recent remodel along with the Auberge stamp of approval were what attracted us. The pics were gorgeous, as was the hotel itself. But the problems started even before we arrived...

1) Took over a month for concierge to respond to calls and emails about booking dining reservations, ski tickets etc.

2) When they called back, they called my cell phone at 6am. I don't know about you, but when my cell rings at 6am, it's usually because someone I know is in the hospital or has a serious problem. In this case, they called me at 6am to let me know that they charge $50 for an airport pickup. Not ok at all.

3) Shower and bath drain totally clogged upon arrival, and took 2 days and 3 calls to the front desk to resolve. Never did I get a single call back -- eventually it was just fixed. After my second call, I asked for the GM because I have a general belief that one should be able to shower in a $1000 room, but "he wasn't available" and that was that.

4) The restaurant was good, but service was Laurel and Hardy-esque. An absolute joke. Literally every patron was upset at their server for forgetting something. We ate there twice, enjoyed our food twice, and had and item forgotten twice. They also seem to have a rather Denny's-styles approach to giving you the bill as they drop off the food. Clearly, this will improve over time, but I can't understand why their staff uniformly seems to have never worked at a restaurant before?

5) We were embarrassed to share this at the time, but one of the masseuses was extremely inappropriate during a massage. It was his first time giving a massage at the Jerome, so I believe (but have not verified) that they hired freelance outcall masseuses to staff their spa. I'm a big fan of hotel spas, but I would strongly suggest you either book elsewhere or confirm that an experienced employee of the spa (not a Craigslist contractor) will give the massage. I have never ever had an issue like this with any masseuse.

I understand they just re-opened, but given that the rooms were priced at 100%, I expected the service level to be nearly that -- after all, this isn't a beta test.

On the plus side, the design is amazing, the location is great, and the car/shuttle service was always available for us to use. But, given the significant service issues, we'll give Hotel Jerome some time to mature before we come back.

3  Thank Mark D
Tony D, General Manager at Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed account of your visit.
We strive hard to provide our guests with a first class experience, but recognize that on occasions we fail to meet the rightful high expectations of our guests.

Feedback in any form from our guests is vital in this quest to achieve and maintain excellence. As all of your points in the review were extremely important, we have already taken the necessary steps to avoid repeat mistakes.

I will be reaching out to you personally with regards to your previous visit and thank you once again for bringing this information to my attention.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 15 January 2013

This landmark hotel in Aspen is really nice after the recently completed remodeling. Very nice finishes throughout such as quartz and leather. Great attention to detail in the lighting and accent pieces. Hotel has a very warm feeling. Exterior appearance is misleading as all of the rooms and common areas are very warm and cozy, yet spacious.

We will definitely com eback.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Amazing transformation. It was so exciting to have visited the hotel earlier this year and then to be back during the holidays and see NEW Hotel Jerome! The hotel was buzzing with excitment, smiles and awesome vibe. The new interiors is handsome and comfortable; hugely successful. Each and every Auberge Resort employee had a smile and great hospitable style. It is apparent they are all prideful of their truly exceptional hotel. The guestrooms are warm and exactly what I have been desiring to see in a mountain hotel/resort. It is the best hotel renovation I have ever seen! Make sure you put it on your list of hotels to experience in 2013!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Tony D, General Manager at Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Loyal Hotel Jerome Guest,

Happy New year!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of Hotel Jerome. It was such a pleasure to share your review with all the Hotel Jerome staff.

I am thrilled you were able to experience the Holidays with us and share in our joy of the wonderful renovations that took place. It really is an exciting time for Hotel Jerome.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Jerome again soon.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Fantastic service. We visited the bars and restaurants. All were superlative. Recommended. Lovely building. A real cowboy classic. We did not stay stay at the hotel but will some time! Stay here if you can,

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We were so lucky to be able to stay here and loved everything about it. They even had Carolers in the lobby. So very Norman Rockwell. Aspen is still a sweet old ski town with all the charm of the 50's. Lots of gorgeous people walking around and the customer service is impeccable. I grew up skiing and loved staying at the Hotel Jerome.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2012

The Hotel Jerome is open and once again THE PLACE to see and be seen! The decor is world class; beautifully updated and contemporary yet still entirely reflective of Aspen's storied past and The Hotel's key role in every minute of it. This delicate balance of old and new is a feast for the eyes: gorgeous antiques amidst mid-century treasures, historical sepia-toned photographs of Aspen's bygone days, glorious lighting fixtures that illuminate the soaring ceilings and highlight the warmth of every unique space. Upon entering the legendary lobby, all is so familiar... But wander straight back toward the fireplace... and what is this in the room behind? The new lobby bar is a triumph! The space is warm and cozy, yet spacious and accommodating. Casual, yet sexy. Wear your ski boots or your tux. Plus the feel is ALL COLORADO. Simply put, you know you're in Aspen! The new restaurant with its location just off the lobby brings a new warm yet sophisticated eatery to Aspen's dining scene. But perhaps best of all is our cherished local watering hole, the infamous J Bar. High tops, booths and an improved physical "flow" only serve to enhance Aspen's most beloved bar, home of the town's best burger (still just $12). Not a thing has changed -- you still have to get there early to get your seat at the bar! And yes, do check out the J Bar lighting: chandeliers cleverly created with antique beer bottles. See you at The Jerome. All your friends are there.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Beautiful remodel of a great and famous property. The new bar and restaurant are fabulaous and the new redecoration of the rooms has been very nicely done. The spa is a great addition to the hotel and the lobby bar is the place to be. The JBar is still awesome.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I was thrilled to read you were able to stay with us for our Opening weekend and I trust you were able to enjoy all the old and new aspects of the Hotel Jerome.

We too are thrilled with the outcome of the renovations and appreciate your support.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Jerome in the future.

With my best regards,