“Very positive experience”

Ranked #3 of 10 Aspen B&B and Inns
columbia, MO
“Very positive experience”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We were looking for a reasonable priced place to stay in Aspen during the off-season. We had not yet made a reservation, but spoke to someone by phone who quoted a rate of $139/night.

When we arrived in Aspen, we were pleased with the hotel's location. We inquired about the rate we were quoted and mentioned that we were considering another location because we found a rate of $129/night (AAA discount). The manager at the front desk said that he would honor the rate of $129/night. The front desk staff was incredibly courteous and polite.

We stayed on the fourth floor (caution: no elevators) in a king room. Our room was clean and very spacious with a comfortable bed. Great location, walking distance to most shops & restaurants. The continental breakfast was more comprehensive than others, including waffles and a variety of other morning staples. I would recommend this hotel to others in the area, looking for a solid, clean, moderately priced stay.

Room Tip: Keep in mind this hotel does not have an elevator, so be prepared to carry your luggage up and down...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dkmonnig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 September 2011

They do a good job trying to make an aging hotel acceptable. And for Aspen the $200 price tag can seem reasonable... But unless you have no choice, skip it. And if you do stay and have more than 2 people in the room beware of the $20 pp addition for a very basic continental breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Samantha41490
Dallas
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We were a bit concerned with noise since the hotels sits right on busy Main St., but we got an upper floor room at the back which mitigated the problem somewhat. We got a 3 nights for the price of 2 deal just before Labor Day that also helped. Pros: desk staff very helpful, towels were great, breakfast was included as was parking, room was clean, very close to downtown Aspen, bus stop directly across the street. Cons: can be noisy, A/C was noisy, somewhat dated. All-in-all, we would stay here again for the convenience with noise being the only real problem.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ezwriter
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 7 August 2011

You guys are wonderful! Our 1st trip to Aspen... This is a family owned hotel for 50+ years now.. These people know quality... Yes, it is an older facility but it is updated ,,quaint and cozy.... Public areas and rooms are plenty big... Nice , heavy furniture... baseboards and such in rooms are a little worn.... but I certainly did not care because everything else made up for that little bit of well worn use.... Our room was just lovely, with a balcony overlooking the front, with chairs and a little table... I was thrilled when I saw it ! WIFI was nice and strong...Beds comfy... Pillows ok, not the best... Beautiful pool , hot tub, sauna, steam room, exercise room.... All very clean.. Lots of amenities
Staff all very nice and very gracious... Breakfast was very good and plenty of it... It was hard to find any negatives here.... I found most of Aspen to be this way... I wanted to write a review on the wonderful Restaurant/bar- ELLINA but could not find a listing for it here on Trip Advisor.... It was a great place.... Plentiful food,,, varied menu... Reasonable prices.... Enjoyable staff... Have to mention the great bartender from Jersey.. great guy... He and my husband hit it off as fellow cyclists.... He stayed very busy but obviously took excellent care of all his patrons... We ate there twice... Both fun and good experiences.Also enjoyed Boogies very much!

Room Tip: Don't know about the other rooms but we had a queen room on the front, loved it!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We just stayed there and it was ok. For the money ($209/night when manyothers in town were $300+/night) it was ok. It was clean, and there was a decent shower (nice water pressure-which is a big deal to me). The staff was so-so when it comes to being friendly and helpful. The location was better than staying in Snowmass (better value but a 10 minute drive into town) but I was a little disappointed that it wasn't nicer. They have a limited breakfast and they don't freshen up it up throughout the morning. We found moldy bread (2 entire loaves) but they replaced it quickly. I have a big dog - and they don't have any limitations there - but I wouldn't stay here again. I would spend more money to have something nicer in town or spend less and drive further.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ColoradoBlonde
PennsylCarolina
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I arrived late after a 3 1/2 hour drive from the Denver airport to find the front door of the hotel locked with a note saying that the front desk closed at 10PM. An envelope with my key was left in a discreet location. Parking is limited and was already full, so I drove around until I found an open street parking place some distance from the hotel, which required multiple trips from the car to the room. (Note for the physically infirm: there is no elevator in evidence, although there may be a service elevator secluded away.) When I opened the door to my room, I was washed over with a rank pet odor. Obviously Fetch, Rover, Trixie, Fido, or one of the other four-legged guests had missed the toilet, toilet seat, and bathroom altogether, but hit the carpet lots. It was like sleeping in a kennel. When I complained the next morning and asked if there was a way to deodorize the room, the manager explained that the hotel is pet friendly. She did graciously offer to move me to another room. Figuring that the same problem probably applied to all of the rooms, I declined the offer and toughed out another night in the same rooom. The manager also said that the maids would work on the odor. That never got translated to the maids. My sense of smell is not all that great, so when I complain about an odor, it must bring most people to their knees.

I've read lots of reivews of this property that extol many virtues: quaintness, accessibility, bargain for Aspen, etc. To me, it is amazing how low peoples' expectations can be when they come to glitzy places. Suppose this hotel was in Des Moines, Iowa, the following would apply: the rooms are shabby and in bad need of a full renovation starting with the sagging mattresses; the hotel has so many stains and the shabbiness is so advanced that everything has a dirty feel to it; the "free" breakfasts are spartan and unappetizing (although the coffee is great!), the pet odor (and potential for unwanted noise) needs no further explanation; the air conditioning (yes, the intense Aspen sun can heat up a hotel room faster than you can say, "I just saw Tom Cruise on the sidewalk.") is inadequate to cool the rooms until late at night; and there is only enough parking for about 2/3 of the guests; and, after all that, the room rates are not significantly less than some really nice properties in town,

To put this all in perspective, I would stay in Snowmass or Basalt or Carbondale or some other nearby and less expensive town if this was the only hotel available in Aspen.

Room Tip: Check the room for smells and condition before you sign in.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank NittanyHeel
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I´ve been vacationing in Aspen for the last decade, and always had good experiences at the Aspen Mountain Lodge. I always want to write a review but always forget, or never find the time to do so.

The staff is courteous and friendly, the rooms are spacious, clean and well kept, and the premises are only a short stroll away from the ski shuttle stops and at night, from Aspen´s restaurants, bars, shops and nightlife. They have different types of rooms, most of them with the same amenities, but depending on which floor you´re staying you may be closer or farthest from the common breakfast and aprés-ski area, which can get a bit noisy sometimes, when there´s full occupation. So if your budget allows you, and you really mind about a little bit of noise, I´d recommend staying on the 1st floor and up. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Best rooms are upper floors facing east.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with family