Aspen Mountain Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsaspen mountainbagelscontinental breakfastconvenient walking distanceskiing areasmake your own wafflesboiled eggswould definitely stay here againaffordable place to staywine and cheesetop flooroff street parkingpriced hotelapres skibus stopdesk clerkone night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel was a good value (for Aspen) as most other rooms we looked at were over $300. It was convenient walking distance to all downtown restaurants and shopping, was clean, spacious, and pet friendly. Continental breakfast was good as well. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed at the Aspen Mountain Lodge after a wedding in Colorado. We found the place to be clean, well-cared for, and the staff friendly. It's within a few blocks of the downtown (5-6) and so it's pretty convenient. Mostly, I'd say the value is really quite high.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The hotel looks like a worn-down chalet from the outside, but inside it opens up into a front desk and an attractive lobby. There is also a very pleasant breakfast room/reading area complete with fireplace down in the garden level. Parking is free. There is supposedly free wifi but I couldn't figure out how to access it. It's located a mere five minute walk from the awesome shops and restaurants downtown and the surrounding scenery is unbeatable.

There are several categories of rooms. I found out the hard way that the Garden units (i.e. the cheapest) are in the basement circling the breakfast/reading room. Another tough lesson: do not let them give you a room facing the street. The hotel is on Hwy 82, which is the major drag through town and there is constant traffic day and night. My solution was to turn the loud AC on full blast to mask the outside noise. Inside noise included people in the room above mine stomping around and watching TV too loudly. Not too great for a restful night's sleep.

My room itself was pretty cool, almost kitschy and very reminiscent of B&Bs I've stayed at in the Alps. Simple oak furniture, including a pretty cool daybed, and a flat screen TV. The bathroom is a bit outdated but serviceable. Soap and shampoo are provided in dispenser form glued to the wall. The water temperature does change mid-shower so beware.

The breakfast was standard Continental. I wasn't too impressed by the food selection or quality or presentation, but I have to say the coffee was the best I've had in a while, so I imagine it must be fantastic drinking a cup in the winterfime in front of the fire.

Room Tip: Splurge for an above-ground room, avoid facing the highway
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank GlobetrotterIL
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Far from luxurious, but I can’t complain (much) – I wasn’t looking for luxury when I booked. My room was adequate, clean in all the places that mattered, large, but definitely a bit rough around the edges, almost with the feel of a rough-and-ready mountain lodge for the 21st century. My bed mattress felt rather cheap and worn out though. Definitely not a romantic retreat, more for the pragmatic bargain-seeker.

I had a “garden level” room, which is an amusing expression; it sounds quite picturesque to a British ear, but it actually means “in the basement”. And the hotel doesn’t seem to have a garden, so “garden level” actually means “car park level”.

But, as I said, I bought the cheapest room in a modest hotel, and that’s what I got, so I can’t complain. Staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel is a short walk to all bus stops for local ski areas, so I never needed the car.

One word of caution though. If your shower is like mine, it can be, well, perhaps “dangerous” is too strong a word, but it certainly can test your reflexes. My shower wasn’t the modern thermostatically controlled type. Getting the right water temperature to begin with was quite a challenge, and when showering, water temperature could go from comfortable to scalding hot in a second, presumably when someone elsewhere in the building turned on a cold tap or flushed a toilet. In these days of elf ‘n’ safety, I’m surprised showers like that haven’t been outlawed, at least in hotels, but maybe the rules are different in the States. Anyway, you’d better stay nimble when showering. Or take a bath.

Room Tip: If you don't like being in the basement, don't opt for "garden level" rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert16
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed at this lovely hotel on our road trip from LA to Denver . Great staff who knew the area so well , and gave us some tips on what to see weather etc . The room was great , beds comfortable and a great sitting area downstairs with an open fire . Breakfast was one of the best we have had on this trip . Great hotel that is very well priced for Aspen

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family