“Nice in every way”

GreenLeadersBronze level
White Lake, Michigan
“Nice in every way”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The employees were friendly and efficient, as refreshing as the live floral pieces scattered about the lobby and lounge. The included breakfast was more than donuts and coffee - in fact, the scrambled eggs were WONDERFUL - neither dry nor runny, and quite flavorful. Lobby, lounge and guest rooms reminded me of Europe's finer establishments; and everything was extremely clean and well kept. Facilities included a room full of treadmills and a lap pool and hot tub. Colfax Ave. is Denver's main drag, so location was great for exploring by car...close to I-225, restaurants, shopping - and just a quick walk to Panera. Our suite included two queen beds (SO comfortable!), a split bath, sitting area with desk, L-shaped couch, great TV, and Microwave, coffeemaker and refrigerator. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Hi Judy P,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us. On behalf of our team, we are delighted you had an enjoyable experience. Thank you so much for your business and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Brad Leonard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Florida
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in February 2014 while visiting a loved one in the hospital. The location is quiet and convenient to many areas on the east side of Denver. Close to airport and Northfield Shopping center off of I-70.

Staff was very accommodating and friendly. I requested a room on the side opposite Colfax on a higher floor and was taken care of no problem. I like the setup of the bathroom/shower in the rooms.

Breakfast was good, but would be nice if they included bacon as a side sometimes. In addition, while there was an assortment of fresh fruit (strawberries, canteloupe) as well as some sliced meats and cheeses on the weekdays, these items were sadly missing on the weekend.

In addition, one of the elevators stopped abruptly between floors (while I was in it) and was a little scary. I reported this to the front desk person who said he would alert the engineer. Didn't have any further problems.

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I'd suggest on parking lot side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hello PHFamily,

I am delighted you had a nice stay with us. Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay. Regarding breakfast, it is true that we change the weekend breakfast to include the waffle bar but we do offer the fresh fruit, meats and cheeses during the weekdays. It is also worth noting that we do serve bacon on Wednesdays along with a savory sausage skillet. Next time you stay with us over a Wednesday you will be able to enjoy the bacon. Thank you so much for your business and safe travels.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel while family member under going 3 days of medical tests at Univ. of CO Hospital. The hotel is right across the street making it extremely convenient. We were upgraded without asking to the 4th floor suites. Room clean, large, modern and very comfortable. Shower very nice, and great climate control. Staff very nice and accommodating will definitely return when returning to medical center!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Hello Sue Turf,

Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule to comment on your stay with us. I am pleased we were able to accommodate your needs. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

NC
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed for 3 nights for business - the front desk and breakfast staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean. I stayed in a king suite which has the somewhat awkward separate toilet room, and shower/sink and a very small closet. Be sure to ask for a room with a bathtub if you have young kids. For a single traveler the room is just fine. Breakfast selection was decent for a free breakfast - one negative is that they use powdered eggs instead of real scrambled (but there is plenty to eat other than eggs). The only thing that would make me hesitant to stay again is that the rooms are not very well insulated - you can hear everything in the rooms next door and outside. The best thing about this hotel is the service. They really go out of their way to provide guests with whatever they need.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hello Jolena28,

Thank you so much for the kind compliments on our hotel and staff. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We selected this hotel for its location almost directly across from Children's Hospital. Our grandson loved the bridge crossing over the street. The room was upscale, spacious, and sparkling clean. The breakfast was a cut above most buffet offerings. We stayed three nights and the menu changed slightly each morning. Everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful. We appreciated the food selection for sale at the reception area. Our only suggestion would be to add more hooks for towels in the bathrooms. We had a king-sized bedroom but there was no bathtub, just a shower. The hotel was easy to find and near restaurants and shopping with a little advice from the reception staff.

Room Tip: Our room was on the parking lot side and away from the street. Be aware that some rooms do not have...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Hello Sharon M,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I am pleased we were able to accommodate your needs. For future reference, we do have suites with bathtubs. Our king suites have only the shower but the double queen suites all come with a tub. Thank you for your business and have a nice day!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Please let me start by saying that I completely understand the plight of parents who are bringing their children to Children's Hospital, and I can appreciate their need for a little peace and quiet after dealing with the stresses of a sick child and being away from home as well.

I can also appreciate the fact that this hotel caters to those parents by offering hospital stay rates and a clean and quiet respite from that madness.

HOWEVER

All that said, this hotel must also remember that it caters to OTHER travelers as well. Issuing hotel policy that favors one group's needs over another will always lead to one group being exceedingly happy and the other feeling slighted, like they did not get the most from their stay.

As you can tell, my last stay placed me in the latter category. So first, let's review the room. The room was absolutely flawless. Neat, very clean, well done. No problems or complaints at all there. The service staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make the stay comfortable. The desk staff was also very friendly and helpful (at least, as helpful as they were allowed to be -- we'll get there in a minute).

The breakfast was adequate, but it was visibly lacking in a few areas. Total selection of foods was dismal. There were a few muffins, a few breads, some hard-boiled eggs, and the hot portion consisted of scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy. Fruits were lacking. Starches were lacking (potatoes of some variety are usually found at breakfast). Beyond eggs and the beef in the gravy, meats were non-existent (bacon? sausage?). So "adequate" would be the best word to describe the food, not outstanding or exceptional.

Now, the issues. I stayed in this hotel 30 and 31 Dec 2013. We gathered four families (16 people in total) for a get-together that would allow my niece and her friend to attend the Decadence concert and not have to drive the 60+ miles back to my house in Colorado Springs at 0200. We also used it as a "New Year's getaway." The first indication to me that there were going to be issues was the note under the door on 31 Dec 13. The note laid out the hotel's "no party" rules:

- (clearly) No parties or loud noises in rooms.
- Maximum of 5 persons per room
- Party complaints would be dealt with harshly: no warnings, no refunds, just immediately out on the street with a police escort.

So either they have had problems with this before, or they are really trying to keep their hospital stay guests happy. Okay, so we can't gather in a room for New Years. We decided to go down to the lobby and gather. We had our own snacks and drinks, so we didn't really need to go anywhere nor did we require any hotel services. We simply wanted a place to sit while the kids used the terribly undersized pool (when the occupancy limit for the pool is 11, you know the pool is too small). The pool closed at 10 PM, standard pool closing hours. Being New Years Eve, we asked if they could keep the pool open longer to accommodate the kids who would be up for New Years anyway. They refused. Kids went back to the room (well, I had to put more than 5 of them together, so I'm already breaking a rule) with the admonition that noise gets you booted so they had better be quiet. At 11 PM, the hotel staff advised us that they would be turning off the lights in the lobby seating area per hotel policy. We reminded them that it was New Year's Eve, and since we can't have more than 5 in a room, we only have here to gather, so perhaps they could leave the lights on for another hour. Again, they refused (hotel policy). So we can't gather in our room because it's too many people. We can't gather in the lobby because it's dark. We ended up breaking the 5-people-per-room rule because we were out of options. We kept the kids as quiet as you can keep a group of 11-18 year old kids, but we still received noise complaints, both that night and the next DAY (during the day, which is entirely unheard of, and completely incorrect policy). Ultimately, the entire experience left us feeling a little unwelcome, and that's disappointing for a Marriott brand.

I am an Elite member with Marriott Rewards; I am a global business traveler. I go out of my way to stay at Marriott properties because 1, I have points to spend, and 2, I always find a consistent experience there. When I take my family somewhere, I take them to Marriott properties because of that consistent experience. This property, sadly, broke that chain of consistency. I can completely understand WHY they do what they do. However, when they do those things, it tends to ruin the stay for the rest of the guests. My suggestion: segregate the hospital stay patrons as far away from the remainder of the patrons as you can (separated by floors and wings). Accommodating one group of guests over another is never a good idea.

Room Tip: If you like living in a library, you will be very happy here. But don't make any noise; you mig...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hello EMC-CJ,

Wow, where to begin? I would like to thank you for taking a moment to express your concerns regarding your stay. Please accept my apologies for not exceeding, let alone, meeting your expectations. It is true that our hotel caters to business travelers as well as family leisure travelers and that does include families visiting the medical center across the street. With that being said, we do attempt to maintain a professional and family friendly environment, especially on New Year's Eve. Historically, suburban hotels like ours have limited staff and resources to compete with party-goers on New Year's Eve so we simply try to stay ahead of the curve with the "No Party Policy." This is with all due respect to all of our guests and not just those visiting the hospital. Our pool does close at 11pm simply because there are guest rooms directly above it. In terms of the lobby lighting, this is news to me. I know we dim the lights but I will speak to my staff about being more accomodating for guests to gather later into the evening. I agree that we could have done more to make you feel welcome in the lobby.

I do know you are a loyal Marriott Gold Elite member, and I know we have left a bad taste with you as a result of our "No Party Policy." From the perspective of managing a safe and secure environment for all of our guests, the staff here at the SpringHill Suites acts only in the best interest of providing a clean and comfortable hotel experience. Although we fell short on fulfilling this for you and your party, I hope to have you back again in the future. Thanks again for your business and best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2014.

Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have to bring our daughter to Children's Hospital for a medical issue. We picked this hotel because it was on a list provided by Children's and is right across the street. By the time we are done with appointments we are EXHAUSTED and just want to be HOME, but it is a 4-hour drive. This is THE BEST hotel we've ever stayed in. It was so comfortable (the first time EVERYONE got a good night's sleep in a hotel EVER) and thoughtful (individual book lights on bed headboard, frosted glass partition over desk to close off the couch/desk area from the bed area, two partial bathrooms ... one toilet and sink, one sink and shower). Also immaculate and spacious. The breakfast was good with great variety (I have to eat gluten free and was able to do so easily). The staff was polite and super helpful (someone jacked all the luggage carts and they checked every floor, nook, and cranny). On top of that, if you are there for a medical appointment at the Children's Hospital they give you a discount (fairly decent one, not just a couple bucks). And they are smart enough to only give the discount with proof of medical appointment so cheaters can't ruin it for those of thus who need it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hello KimmerG40,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us. I am pleased our hotel suited your needs. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.