“Not Quite Up to Mariott Standards”

SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Aurora
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We spent two nights in April 2014 in the Springhill Suites by Marriott on Colfax Avenue in Aurora, CO. The hotel is conveniently located across from the University of Colorado Children's Hospital and only four blocks from other UCH facilities. I would assume that most of the hotel's clientele are patients and families using the hospital facilities. Our room cost was $139/night by using the "hospital" rate.

My two main criteria for overnight lodging are cleanliness and quiet. The Springhill was very clean in all aspects throughout our room, the halls, and dining area. The only soiled area I saw in the hotel was the carpeted floor in the elevator. Overall I was impressed with the cleanliness and felt comfortable with it.

The hotel was not as quiet as I would have liked. There was very little noise through the walls from the adjoining rooms. However, toilets being flushed and water running down shower drains (in adjacent rooms could be heard). But at least you could not hear the neighbors talking or their TV.

Noise was evident from the halls and from the parking lot through the closed windows. The hall noise was not so much disruptive people as it was hotel design. The solid doors were self closing security doors. Every time a door was closed it banged shut as the security feature engaged. The door in our room also had a 1" gap between the bottom and the floor which also allowed a lot of hall noise to come in.

We chose rooms on the south side of the building which faces the parking lot as opposed to the north side which faced Colfax Avenue and its traffic noise. The noise from the parking lot was not too disruptive mostly because of the clientele. Most people were tired from all the hospital visits and retired early. In the mornings one could hear cars starting as early as 4 a.m. until 8 a.m.

Our room had a dysfunctional heater/ac unit as did the room of our friends staying next to us. The temperature for the heat setting was fixed at about 72F and could not be set differently. Similarly, the ac was also preset and could not be changed. If it was too hot in the room we could not turn the heat down, we could only turn on the ac. At least the blower worked so we did have circulation.

The toilet is in a separate room from the shower and vanity and had a sliding wooden door for privacy. There was also a small sink for washing hands. The shower/vanity was in a separate room also with a privacy sliding door. It seemed like it was a bit of an odd design but it was not off-putting to me. The shower was oversized and nicely tiled in white.

The room included a nice sofa, a desk and desk chair, and two small tables. Overall the room was comfortable.

A continental breakfast was included with the room cost. It had a nice variety of breads, cheese, cereals, sausage, juice, fresh fruit, and breakfast drinks. The dining area was nicely furnished and comfortable. In the evening the breakfast area converted into a lightly furnished lounge. There is a small gym room with treadmill, elliptical, and recumbent cycle. There is an indoor swimming pool but we did not use.

The hosts/hostesses at the reception area were all very friendly, courteous, and helpful. Their personnel are an asset to the hotel.

I can only give this hotel a 3 rating because of the noise through the doors, and the non working heat controls. Marriott facilities are usually top-notch but I think Marriott needs to do some work on this hotel. It may be difficult to modify the doors to subside the noise, but there is no excuse for the heat/ac units to be non functional.

The main reason to stay in this hotel is its proximity to the hospital facilities. For that purpose only I would probably return to this hotel because the nearest hotels of high quality are several miles away.

Room Tip: Rooms face either busy Colfax Avenue or the parking lot. We chose the parking lot side to hopefully...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank klkks
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Hello klkks,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us. Feedback is very important to us so we can continuously seek to improve. I am pleased that overall you had a nice stay but I am disappointed that we missed some of the other key deliverables. I will get with our maintenance team to see if we can identify some of those noisy toilets and pipes. Regarding the air conditioner/heating unit, I would ask if you were using the thermostat on the wall? Some of our guests go to the unit itself to control the temperature when in fact it is controlled through the wall thermostat. In any event, I would like to know the room number so we can check it out to be sure it is functioning properly. If you have an opportunity, please shoot me an email or give me a call with the room number information so we investigate further. I'm guessing you may have notified the staff of this already. Please accept my apoligies for the issues you faced. Next time you come, if the room is not meeting your expectations, please notify the front desk so we can move you to a different room (i.e. the heat/ac doesn't work). Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Excellent location to the univ of co hospital and children's hospital. Easy access on and off the interstate and a hop skip and a jump from DIA. Onto the property: friendly, efficient front desk staff, loved the layout of the room-comfortable/functional and a pleasure to stay for 3 nights while here on business. Was not able to sample breakfast (too early call for work) but seemed like there was lots activity for breakfast. The mini fridge and microwave with a trip for the grocery store added to the value. Parking is free, internet speed good and what I would say is a great value for the $$$. I would certainly stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ginnynj4133
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Ginnynj4133,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us. I am delighted we were able to have you as our guest. Thanks again and hope to see you sometime soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have stayed at other Springhill Suites and found this room has most of the same pros and cons of its sister properties. Just inside the door is a coffee service bar with frig and microwave which we did not make use of.
What I like: Very nice bed linen, with choice of pillows. The room layout has a desk and sitting room area separate from the sleeping area. Complementary breakfast was good, the same fare we have grown accustomed to at most hotels; not everything was available or put out promptly, but it was okay. The location of this hotel -- very near I-225 and several hospitals/medical facilities -- is convenient when coming into town via the freeway. There are good restaurants and shopping within a reasonable distance... an exit or two down the freeway.
What I don't like: The bathroom arrangement might appeal to some folks, but not to me. The toilet is in one little room with a sliding door and very tiny corner sink. The shower (which is actually quite nice with an overhead light and terrific shower fixture ... I should have mentioned it above) and sink/vanity are in a separate room also with a sliding frosted glass panel door. The lighting in both bathrooms is "contemporary" but not conducive to doing one's hair and makeup. Instead of a built-in closet, there is an armoire in a crowded corner ... my least favorite feature of the room! This piece of furniture is poorly designed making it awkward to store even a few hanging clothes and coat. There is a full-length mirror on the armoire door, but it is nearly useless as the corner is crowded and insufficiently lit. A full-length mirror near the entrance to the room where the light is good would be preferred.
I score this hotel average, mostly because getting ready for the day in the crowded, poorly lit dressing space was awkward for my husband and myself.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Janet S
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Hello Janet S,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us. I am happy that overall we were able to meet your needs and I do appreciate the feedback on the layout of the room. We are very proud of our room layout and receive many compliments however there is always room for improvement. We are looking into different lighting options for some of those darker corners in the rooms because we do hear that comment once in awhile. I know Marriott is continually evolving and modifying their room designs for the different brands so hopefully as they move forward, the designs will continue to improve. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here at our halfway point on our cross country road trip. The rooms were very nice, great for business. The breakfast was really good, but very crowded (on Sunday). People were fighting over the toaster (lol). Overall, we would recommend it to anyone, especially those on business, or in conjunction with the medical facility.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Hello Adventureandthrills,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us. I know our breakfast does get a little busy but hopefully you and your family were able to get a good meal to start the day. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Efficient Hotel, clean rooms and good sleep quality. The breakfast is very good with plenty of choices. It is refreshed frequently, with the exception of the sliced meat and cheese, which ran out early and was not replenished during the two mornings we were there. Housekeeping is very efficient, maybe a bit too much. We had two rooms, one of which we had little personal belongings in. We used it mainly for taking showers and cat napping, since we had family staying with our granddaughter who had surgery at the Children's Hospital. During the afternoon after the first night, housekeeping thought we had left and I received a call on my cell phone. About 9 am the next morning, prior to us checking out, I went back to the room and housekeeping had closed out the room, with it propped open using the security latch.

Overall, our stay was good and this was just a minor annoyance/inconvenience. Just brought this up for two reasons. First to give management the opportunity to fine-tune things a bit and avoid this in the future and second, if you use the room like we did, you may let management know to avoid any inconveniences.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to street noise, ask for a room facing away from Colfax, as you can hear street...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Hello Daniel G,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us. I am pleased we were able to accommodate the needs of you and your family. I will address our team with your comments so we can fine tune things as you suggest. Thank you for your business and have a nice day.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Wow, what a nice suite for the money! It is conveniently located if you have a loved one in the Childrens' Hospital or U of Colorado hospital. The rooms were spacious, clean and well attended to. They provided three different pillows: soft, medium, and harder! The front desk staff was attentive and considerate. Hats off especially to Donald Murphy of the front desk staff. The hot breakfast exceeded my expectations, even though it could be better. But, it is included in the price. A far cry from our previous experience at the Star Pass Golf Suites of Tucson which I reviewed last week, which garnered only one star.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face Colfax as it is a very busy street during the work week.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Hi RioCebolla,

Thank you for commenting on your stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. I will make sure I pass on the compliments to Donald. He is truly exceptional along with the rest of our staff. Thanks again and have a great day!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The room was large, comfortably organized with a sitting area, and very clean and modern. The housekeeping staff were careful and very accommodating of our infant's sleeping schedule. There are lots of sidewalk paths for a stroller, to get outside, although not much to see within walking distance. The location is all about the hospital.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Brad L, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Denver at Anschutz Medical Campus, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Hello K R,

Thank you for commenting on your stay with us. I am delighted we were able to accomodate your needs. We sincerely appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.