“Extremely Clean”

Best Western Plus Gateway Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Aurora
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I am a real pain in the rear when it comes to hotels and their cleanliness. I went through this one with a fine tooth comb after we checked in looking thoroughly for anything out of place. I searched the pool area, hot tub, room, breakfast area and anywhere else you might think. I do not like inside animals~ I could not find any pet hair or anything. It is a immaculately clean.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Gateway Inn & Suites

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Having not been 'specific' enough with my first review attempt of this hotel to pass TA's screening process, I will make sure I am SUPER specific with this cautionary tale to avoid this awful property!

LOCATION ~ This hotel faces a freeway under major, on-going construction. The noise terribly effected the peace of both front facing rooms we were assigned. The back of the hotel is flanked on the right by a large box-store parking lot and on the left by a mechanic's garage. On more than one evening we were aggressively approached by panhandlers in the hotel parking lot.

BUILDING ~ There was a constant gas-leak-smell coming from one side entrance of the hotel. When I attempted to address my concern with management I was told it was "probably just the swimming pool."

ROOMS ~ Our first room was a large king suite with a jetted tub. We were told it was the last room available. The overwhelming smell of mold from within the jets of the jetted tub reminded me of the flooded house we were trying to escape! We closed the door and never used the shower, the smell of the bathroom was so bad!!!
Our second room was a much simpler situated room, without any extras, or overwhelming issues; so we decided to stay. A VERY BAD CHOICE!!!

STAFF ~ There are only two members of the staff worth employing, Sandi and Richard. Otherwise, the rest act like they hate humanity! The housekeepers seemingly did not comprehend the fact we understand the Spanish language; regardless of our choosing not to speak it with them does not give them a free pass to insult us at will every time they walked past our door with the ongoing 'do-not-disturb' sign posted.
It is true, traveling with pets makes both sides of the travel arrangement challenging; therefore communication becomes key between the host and guest. Calling a property Pet Friendly sets certain expectations from those traveling with their furry family members. This hotel has NOT figured out how to be pet friendly yet because it is still working on trying to be people friendly!!!
Jese, the worst offender on staff, spends his evening shift flirting with those he checks into the hotel or insulting them. I watched him on numerous occasions, and had first hand experience with his hatefulness personally. I also learned way more than I ever wanted or needed to know about what he considers his "really interesting, crazy life experiences." Jese spent more time telling the person he had already checked in, but that he was still flirting with, his story of driving from San Diego to Fort Collins on a whim that by the time he began helping the line of people accumulating behind the flirted person, he was more than a little snappy. I saw him interrogate another BW employee from another state staying on an employee rate so rudely that her face turned red and she became flustered as she attempted to answer his rapid fire questions.
By the time it was my turn and I asked, "Would you like us to switch rooms tomorrow or the next day?" as we had already been told we would most likely need to switch rooms with our ever extending stay. A request we understood and accepted graciously.
However, Jese's exact response was, "We just need to do a room inspection. Housekeeping is so concerned about your cats and the health risk your dirtiness is placing on the rest of the guests."
Mind you, the lobby was still full of patrons!
Mind you, I was staying as a flood victim while trying to salvage an unsalvageable rental property. We had lost everything, but our dignity, up to speaking with Jese.
Mind you, my husband is a decorated war hero, 100% disabled combat vet and I his VA caregiver and a survivor of the toppled towers from 12 autumns ago. We are NOT dirty deadbeats and should NEVER have been treated as such!!! ...especially when paying to be guests!
As flood victims with therapy animals we also had our Dyson vacuum and were cleaning meticulously MULTIPLE times each day...at this point, our room was cleaner than when we arrived!

I requested Mrs. Patel, The Property Manager who had zero concern for the potential gas leak and who brushed off Jese's insults to me as "a training opportunity" and "a cultural difference" to perform a room inspection at the end of our stay, SHE REFUSED! Argumentatively refused, wouldn't even humor the request or try to make an excuse of being too busy; she simply and rudely refused her guest's reasonable request. (Especially reasonable since it is an actual requirement at other BW when pets check-out!)

BREAKFAST ~ Every franchise has its differences, regardless of brand expectations. That is understandable. What is NOT understandable is to have a frowning guard with arms crossed keeping watch over the measly offerings that never changed a single day of our MUCH too long stay! The only difference was once a week they swapped the sausage with bacon instead. The WORST aspect was having to fight the already barely enough offering with the housekeeping staff that would eat from the guest breakfast while still in uniform, still rambling insults...hopefully with washed hands!

After checking out of the hotel, we learned we could begin staying for free through FEMA. We would rather sleep in our car with our cats! NOT EVEN IF WE WERE PAID TO RETURN WOULD WE COME BACK!!!

It is imperative to me, as a social responsibility, that I warn any and all flood victims (or people with pets) to stay away from this hotel!! THEY ARE UTTERLY UN-HOSPITABLE!!!

Room Tip: I would guess the back of the hotel is quieter...unless the panhandlers yell up to your window.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SuePurrQT3-14
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed at the Gateway Inn for six days. I enjoyed my stay. Although it is near the freeway, the room was amazingly quiet. I chose the handicapped king room that turned out to be quite spacious. The room needs a tiny bit of TLC, but everything was clean and comfortable. The bed was great and linens soft and cozy. They have a buffet breakfast that was included in room charge although I didn't eat there (I was visiting family) it looked delicious when I grabbed some coffee to go. They have a laundry room and pool.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the area.

Room Tip: East facing rooms are away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The hotel is always clean with no surprises. Staff goes out of their way to assist you. Any issues that I have about the room, or TV not working, it is taken care of by the staff. I stayed at one of those extended stay chains, and was deeply unnerved with the quality and safety of the hotel. I made reservations for the remainder of my stay back to Best Western. The quality and efficiency remains the same each time I stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Few hotels have it all: cleanliness, sevice, comfort, location, services availability. This hotel though has it all. Led my Anju, a most capable leader, her staff acted as if serving us was the most important thing in life to do. It was an "eye watering" experience. Desk managers: Richard, Sandi, and Jese, and others during the day and evening who I didn't unfortunately didn't get their names were knowledgeable and helpful to Nth degree. Leading those who served was Becky in the dining room. You want her in your family, because she treats you as if you're hers'.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have stayed at this location several times. The staff is always outstanding and the accommodations are clean and of good quality. The location is close to shopping and restraunts. The location is very safe.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2013

this hotel is very convenient and reasonably priced. it's ammenities are also very good for the traveler, it had very access to highway, public transportation, and convenience of mall nearby. close proximity to downtown and easy to get to from the airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo