“Good service, good food, good value”

Wholly Cannoli Cafe
Ranked #37 of 804 Restaurants in Aurora
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Wholly Cannoli Cafe is located in a strip mall at Gartrell and E-470, in Aurora but almost Parker, Colorado. It has been in business for about three years, maybe longer, originally it was just an Italian Bakery and Pastry shop. Since then, it has expanded to a full fledged cafe and just recently expanded its seating area and kitchen. I would guess there is seating for about 45 persons. Our most recent visit to the cafe for dinner was our second visit. On other occasions we stop by the buy italian based pastries or their wonderful authentic Italian ciabatta bread ($3.80 a loaf). In this most recent visit my wife ordered a 10 inch pizza, thin crust with thin slices of fresh tomatoes topping the pepperoni and sauce. Delicious. I ordered eggplant parmesan, the plate covered with delicious eggplant parmesan and rigatoni with plenty of sauce. I took half of it home. Service was excellent and friendly. There are no reservations, so on a Friday night I suggest you get there early. For the pizza, a ceasar salad for my wife, the a very generous glass of wine for myself, and two eclairs for dessert came to $36.94 before gratuity was added. As Christmas approaches, we will be visiting the cafe for its authentic Italian Christmas cookies that fill its pastries cases at that time of year.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We went on a Saturday night and had to wait for only 15 minutes or so. It could have been faster but it is pretty small. Lots of people were coming in to grab a pizza to go, so I am pretty interested in trying one the next time.

The server was nice but did not know anything about the wines they served and they actually forgot our wine. We got tried the garlic knots which were tasty along with the marinara. Our server then noticed that we had not received our wine so she went and grabbed it and was quickly followed by the entrees which was fine with us because we wanted to drink with our meal.

I had the spaghetti bolognese and was decent. The bowl was fairly large and piping hot. My one qualm with it was the peas in it appeared to have been canned. They weren't bight green like fresh ones would be (or at least frozen peas could be). My wife had the chicken alfredo and was pretty tasty with a thick, not overly rich sauce, but under-seasoned a little. We eventually noticed that we had received out garlic bread that was supposed to come with the meal so that was brought out after asking our server. It was worth the asking anyhow because it was delicious. We really wanted to try the desserts because they looked amazing in the case out front but we will have to pop in some other time to get a cannoli.

The few things I would change there if I could are use all fresh ingredients (if my assumptions are correct), drop the plastic cups and invest in some glass water glasses, and drop the plastic baskets for some real dishes to serve breads, etc. Finally I would like to see a better wine selection from Italy. Italian winemakers structure their wines to go with Italian foods just like every nation and we were left wanting more. I realize it is a small neighborhood eatery but I think picking up on the little details would really elevate the joint.

With all of that being said we would still go back because there is a shortage of Italian restaurants in the area and I almost feel like we were kind of nit-picking. Not a bad little restaurant overall and I would take it any day over Olive Garden.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We and some friends visited this restaurant in late October. Its ambiance is rather simple, more like a diner. The prices were reasonable, but the service was mediocre. Whether it was the waitress or the cook who did a poor job I don't know, but the meal arrived only in parts, with about 10 minutes of waiting time in between. When I asked as to what happened to the rest of the meal, her answer was that " well, I brought it out to you piece-meal because I didn't want it to get cold. No apologies as to why it was not prepared on time. When it came to time to pay, we asked that the check be split in half, as we had consumed about the same amount. When she brought the check, it was completely wrong. The two haves added up to about 180% of the original check. When I called her attention to the mistake, her answer was: "oh, they didn't do it right." Again, no apologies for the screw-up. If you ever go there, be sure to check your bill carefully.

Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

My husband is a pizza snob because he's originally from NJ. We found this place and he is in love. The pizza and pastries are amazing. If you go or order, you have to try the knots! They are the best we've ever had. We order meatballs for our daughter because she has a dairy allergy, and those are amazing too.
If you go in to sit down and eat, expect to wait a while because they are making everything from scratch in the back, which you can kind of see from the dinning area. It's well worth the wait!

1  Thank Beckibecka
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Wholly Cannoli has THE BEST Cannoli, as well as other freshly made sweets! Have had the Eggplant Parmesan sandwich, Pizza, and several other entree choices. Have never been disapointed! Can't wait for the restaurant expansion to be finished.

Been to Wholly Cannoli Cafe? Share your experiences!