“The room was just right”

Econo Lodge Denver International Airport
Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Aurora
Rangely, Colorado
“The room was just right”
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. I took advantage of a package deal that included a night's lodging, shuttle service to the airport, and a week's parking. This is my first experience with this chain but if most properties are similar to this one it will be my new first choice! The room was small, as most budget chains tend to be, but felt spacious enough. My bed was a queen size, and very comfortable. The room was extremely clean and free of odors. The bathroom had a walk-in shower with a door instead of a tub, which is actually my preference (no icky shower curtains to have to avoid touching). My room was well lit and had plenty of electrical outlets for charging things. The climate control worked fine and wasn't too noisy. the wireless internet and TV worked perfectly. The housekeeping staff was very helpful and friendly, though they did not speak english very well. They very graciously refrained from laughing at me as I struggled with my spanish, and we managed to communicate fine.

Now for the negatives, which are few: The property was a little hard to find because the signage was not well lit at night and the entrance is from a side street, not the street address. The pillows were not comfortable at all. They were almost square shaped instead of rectangle, more like large throw pillows designed more for appearance than comfort. The bedspread was one of those old fashioned motel polyester floral print jobs that always makes you wonder how often it is cleaned and what might be revealed by a black-light (yuck). The complimentary breakfast was not great, but pretty much what I expected. The Coffee was not very good, at all. Also, they do not keep complimentary coffee out after serving hours (probably a blessing, given the quality of it). I just needed another dose while waiting for the next scheduled shuttle to the airport. I did discover one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had at the upscale hotel next door, which was complimentary even after I told them I wasn't a guest. The desk staff could have been more helpful. While not rude it was clear that I was not the most important thing on their minds and they did not go out of their way to be helpful.

All in all, an extremely good experience, if not quite excellent and given the price point, this hotel represents an excellent value. I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Colorado
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Instead of getting up very early for a flight out of DIA, we stayed here the night before our trip. The room was basic but had everything we needed - a comfortable bed, hot shower with water pressure, soap and shampoo, a continental breakfast and shuttle to the airport. The stay and park must be booked directly with the hotel.

On return, you call the hotel from the baggage claim area and they will send the shuttle to pick you up. It took about 20 minutes for it to arrive and then another 20 back to the hotel. At first we thought this was a long time but when we considered the alternative of the airport parking shuttle to the outlying parking lots and realized when we got to our car we were already 15 minutes closer to home, this was a very good choice. We will likely stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Rustburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2012

It was basically to catch my flight in the morning. It was affordable and not worrying about driving in the maze going to DIA (Denver International Airport) was a relief. Had a problem in my first room with A/c, and I was quickly given another. That one was awesome. However, there were two things that made me hesitant. 1) the smell of chlorine from the pool was overwhelming. You can smell it as soon as you come in. 2) (and I agree with SpeedyWY) checking was ok as long as you did not inconvenience the girl at the front desk. I guess her cell phone is more important than you. Besides those 2 things, i will return again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank frankl202
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Fairly clean, fairly new, indoor pool is clean. Close to the airport. There are alot of eateries around the place.

I had a rental car and never took a shuttle bus. The desk people were very nice. I prefer a thermostat but this place has low, med, and high. Still not too bad.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Let me start by saying, checking in is ok so long as you don't inconvenience the girl from her cell phone. Then you get the run down smelly room. Oh and just because they have camera's in the parking lot your vehicle is not safe,mine got broken into while there and the front desk wouldn't even contact police for me, I had to find the number and call for a report from my cell, police asked to review the video and the front desk said he would have to come back in a week when the manager was back, they are not allowed to let anyone see the tape. This hotel was a nightmare from beginning to end. Funny I never got my usual survey to fill out after my stay? Wonder why?

• Stayed July 2012
Switzerland
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The hotel is very nice and very clean. The staff is kind and the breakfast good. However I had chosen this hotel because it offers a shuttle bus to and from the airport. While the service to the airport was perfect, the service from the airport was terrible. Once arrived in DIA, I called the hotel to let them know that I was at the shuttle bus platform, waiting for their bus. They told me that the shuttle would have been there in 5 minutes. I waited more than 40 minutes before it arrived. Shuttle buses of other hotels had the time to pass three times! A couple of American tourist was already at the platform before me: they had to wait about one hour.
It could have been a bad day.... but I will not chose this hotel anymore.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lucia C
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Stayed for one night to catch flight early next morning. Could not connect to wifi from my laptop so I tried my iPad. No luck. My son tried his laptop. Still no good. Called front desk and was told the internet was working correctly. Went down to lobby, and it was the same story. I went back to the room and was able to connect to the wifi from the hotel across the street.
The room itself was reasonably clean, however the bathroom door would not close completely and did not give adequate privacy. Otherwise, the room was acceptable, and the beds were comfortable.
The morning was another disappointment. We had to catch the 5 a.m. shuttle to the airport so we were unable to have the hotel breakfast which starts at 6. I was hoping to get some coffee, but was told that coffee was not available and I would have to walk to a 7-11 located about a block away and buy it.
Overall, the hotel was reasonably clean, and it is convenient to the airport. However, the lack of working wifi, and the absence of available coffee at 5 am really brings the value of this hotel down. I will NOT stay here again, and I recommend you stay someplace else, too.

Room Tip: You can pick up a fairly strong wifi signal from the hotel across the street if you stay on the east...