“Amazing stay, Christmas night”

Avon Old Farms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avon
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing stay, Christmas night”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We had a wonderful night...after dinner with family nearby, my husband, four year old daughter and I went to the Avon Old Farms Hotel for a one night stay before heading home in the morning to Massachusetts. The room was just beautiful, I felt an instant relaxation as soon as we turned the light on. The beds were like clouds, linens clean and bright. the free WiFi worked excellent. Loved all the little details, the bathrobes, the pretty hamper for towels, impeccably clean, fantastic shower....all was wonderful. After four days of traveling it was so welcome. In the am, we enjoyed an awesome breakfast via room service - the coffee was delicious and I highly recommend the banana nut pancakes - huge portion that fed all of us. The staff who delivered our food was so friendly and warm, just added the icing to the cake. all in all, a great experience...

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenn P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed 12 December 2012

You pay for hotel accommodation expecting to get a reasonable nights sleep and the general management at Avon Farms totally disregard this. They allow deliveries to turn up at all times of night and unload supplies at the front of the hotel directly below the majority of rooms in the main building. I stayed two nights in a mini suite (rm 217) and watched in amazement as lorries back up to the hotel (immediately beneath my bedroom window) and began unloading daily supplies from around 4.30am without any regard to residents. If you want to sleep, avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Saxo44
CHOC-GM, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Please accept our apologies for the disturbance you experienced with the noise and early deliveries. I have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper and corrective measures have been taken to adjust to a new delivery schedule. If you are ever in the area again, I hope you would be willing to stay with us again.Please contact me personally with your reservation in hopes that we may be able meet and exceed your expectations. J.Hoess-Brooks, GM
Burlington, VT
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I'm finally getting around to reviewing a stay from around a month ago. This hotel is what I consider to be a "nouveau New England" inn -- recent construction somewhat in the style of a classic New England inn, but almost too nice to be quite real -- even a little sterile. Still, it's attractive, the room pleasant and the dining room especially inviting for a Sunday brunch.

However, the stay was really quite miserable overall. The problem? A very loud wedding party that prevented us from sleeping until well beyond 1AM. The experience included what sounded like drunks singing in the parking lot, slamming doors and loud voices in the hallway far too late at night.

Repeated calls to the front desk did not affect the noise level, so I have no idea if they attempted to intervene or not. To give credit where credit is due, they offered to move us to a different room, but well after midnight, it felt like too little, too late. I wonder why we were placed near the center of the facility in the first place since they knew they had a large wedding party on premises.

I realize this is a difficult problem for a hotel to address, and it is not the first time that we've had a stay ruined by partygoers who forgot they hadn't rented the whole place. However, we're paying guests, too, and I believe that confers some responsibility on management. It does not seem to me that management rose to this occasion, and we accordingly got very poor value for our money.

Net effect: An extremely disappointing experience except for the brunch. We are not in a hurry to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask if there's a wedding party, and if so, get a room as far away from it as possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WesternVtTraveler
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 October 2012

(please read the entire review to get the whole story)
I had a wedding at The Riverview (about 5 miles away), and Avon Old Farms was one of the hotels suggested by the venue. We originally booked a basic room. Then a number of our friends booked rooms. Being it was our wedding night I decided to upgrade our room to something a little fancier. This would also give an opportunity for one of our friends to book our old room seeing the hotel was completely booked that night. I called about 2 weeks before the event to upgrade and was given a conformation for the upgraded mini-suite.

To make a long story short the room was double booked when we arrived after our wedding. The person at the desk tried to put us in a regular room without us knowing, but I caught it on the print out. He was not very apologetic. The whole time we were at the front desk he made us feel like it was our fault the room was double booked, and it wasn't until I raised my voice a little he did something about it. He gave us a mini-suite after some persuasion, but told us to be out first thing in the morning because the bride from a wedding at the hotel the next day decided to come early.

After that ordeal my wife and I wanted to just go to our room. When we got to the room the entire bridal party's dresses and clothing for the wedding the next day were already in the room. When we called down to tell our new "friend" (sarcasm intended) at the front desk he told us as soon as he can get maintenance to come get it he would. Mind you it was getting close to 11:30pm on our wedding night, and the last thing we wanted was to wait for someone to clean out the room. We still had to make an appearance at the pub where all of our friends were waiting for us. At that point we decided to just cancel our reservation and go home. We have a house in Middletown/Cromwell, and we would have rather driven home than stay.

Once we told our friends of the issues, and our decision to go home they instantly went to the front desk. You see, I am prior military, and currently a firefighter, and all of my friends that were there that night were either firefighters, Marines, or Navy. Unless you do one of those jobs you never really know the bond between us. These guys would do anything for me, as I would for them. Lucky for the guy we dealt with originally, his shift was over and he had left. The new front desk guy Roy, from what I was told was very apologetic. He made sure we got a room for the night, and made sure it was at no charge because of the mix up. He and my friends coordinated getting our luggage to the room, and moving our car to a parking space. He and the guys truly saved the night for us. At that point we were told to just go to the bar, and see everyone.

I called the General Manager Jeffery to explain the ordeal the next day. He got back to me immediately, and offered a very sincere apology. I really felt like he cared about our situation, and assured me he was investigating the whole ordeal. I was quite pleased with his actions to make up for the ordeal. He showed genuine interest in my side of the story that night. He is by far what a manager is supposed to be, and truly cares about the experience of each of his guests. If it wasn't for the actions of Roy that night, and Jeffery after the ordeal this review would have been much worse. Thank you Roy and Jeffery.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel are the nicest.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jason P
Alexandria
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times and always been pleased. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Ask for a King bed. The restaurant is excellent with fine food and a lovely setting. The nearby town of Farmington is delightful. Often hosts wedding parties because of the lovely setting.

• Stayed August 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Visiting relatives on Easter Weekend we sadly ended up with no choice but to stay at the Avon Old Farms Hotel... actually we didn't get to stay IN the hotel rather we ended up with a room in the "motel" part of the place. The furniture and fixtures were worn and the bathroom in dire need of updating. The bath/shower controls didn't work properly and the carpets were clearly of an older era. Apparently rooms in the "main" hotel are better... they mention four-posted beds on their website but we wouldn't know as we foolishly had not read reviews on tripadvisor.com and were geographically constrained to this sparsely appointed community.

Having driven up from NYC and arriving in the early evening Friday we had trouble rousing the front desk staff who promptly informed us that we couldn't eat in the restaurant on Easter Sunday as they were fully booked. The Starbuck's several miles up the road turned out to be the better choice in any event. We did manage to stir the restaurant staff for a late 8-10pm dinner only to find good but pricey food, expensive drinks and mediocre service. The wait-staff repeatedly ignored us to spend excessive fawning over some "local" diners and seemed terribly put off by our choice to linger over dessert and coffee in order to prolong the enjoyment of long absent family members. In an incredible gaffe of restaurant service we finally did attract attention from two servers, we were now the only table left in the tiny (ten table?) restaurant. Both kept hovering to clear main course plates that were clearly unfinished and seemed upset when we stopped them to continue eating. When we were young a waiter never approached to clear a dinner plate until we placed our fork and knife together with tips at the center of the plate. It would seem that the "old' in the farms doesn't refer to manners.

We will stay in Hartford and commute for our next visit...

Room Tip: If you cannot avoid this hotel ask for a room in the "main" building. The "motel&quo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ken D
norwich, ct
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I am a physician in Cr, and my wife is a GI nurse. Both needed to get away. All our main places in Boston and. Aline were full, so this sounded OK. Checked in at 3pm. Reservations at tavern for six. Went in, all OK . Six thirty, 30+ very drunk, incredibly loud people pour in. Din is utterly unbearable. Out ASAP, down to desk.desk clerk informs that the Avon class of ' 72 had rented it and we shouldn't even have been there. Special events person disagrees, and desk clerk reads the schedule to her.
Back to the room with lots of noise I the next room. Kids? Nope, drunks on a bathroom break, complete with people pounding on the door.
Back to the front desk. Now drunks are out in the main hall, noise up and down the whole first floor. Moved to different room, complete with broken window, musty smell, sink that doesn't drain, and rust on the floor.
Worst od all, there was an ongoing wedding in the room next o the bar.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank davidls45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Simsbury Inn
Residence Inn Hartford Avon
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Hartford Marriott Downtown

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!