“Pretty hotel fun bar but..”

Avon Old Farms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avon
Bronxville, New York
“Pretty hotel fun bar but..”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This place was nice - but a big downside for me was very loud slamming doors early in the morning -- they need to soften the bang of the doors somehow ~we had a big couple days at avon old farms school & hoped to sleep in on Sunday but was awoken by the doors slamming & it continued until we were up. :( The bar was fun yet it's acoustics are strange & when it got busy it was so loud in there we couldn't hear each other speak. I'm a New Yorker so you know I'm used to loud. The bartender although pleasant was not paying much attention - it seemed a bit provincial - pretty annoying after trying to get a second beer & it taking 10 mins to get his attention. A little work needed here. Food looked and smelled good. To stay: I Preferred the Simsbury 1820 house.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent a few nights/days here for business. Doesn't have the newer amenities a high end hotel may have but I found the room comfortable and clean. Staff was nice and those working the business event were helpful and responsive. I didn't get to stroll around too much but we did hit the pub for a little while one evening and that was a nice change of pace. Nothing overwhelming or outstanding here, but better than a random stand alone hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The ride from East Hartford to Avon was just a night and day change.
Buildings quickly turned into trees and Starbucks turned into whatever the opposite of that is.
I arrived at the Avon early and they had a room ready, the girl was nice and super friendly. They gave me a room right next to the entrance so I could hear cars arriving doors closing and loud talking a here and there.
The rooms are set outside so that was okay but I still had a problem with noise.
I walked in and immediately was met by a dark room, it is very dated, it looked like the setting of a 70's blue flick. It was clean and smelled like soap. It was also horrifically cold. The heater is terrible and confusing. I had it set to 80 to heat the room up and there's no heat coming from anywhere. So I'm basically freezing.
The Bluestreak internet is crap. I called front desk and she suggested I reset my devices... uhmmmm I have Apple, they pick up any signal, and when one doesn't pick up that means there's no signal so she reset the wifi I assume and the signal is still weak.
If you need a cab, call one an hour in advance because you'll be waiting 35-45 minutes for one they call up.
Turned on the TV and there's no TV.... You turn it on and there's no picture. It was fixed immediately so I was okay with that.
What exactly makes this a 3-star hotel again? I really should've booked Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: If you're booking through Priceline Avon-West Hartford 3 star is this hotel. It's not far fr...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My hotel room was quaint but worn. As others have mentioned, a refurbishment is needed. The one thing that was outstanding was the complimentary transportation service provided by the hotel. The wonderful coordinator, Jeanne Soto, and another driver who drove me around each day were extremely pleasant, helpful and on time. Because of them, I was able to visit the museums each day without having to worry about parking my car in a strange city. Despite the worn out rooms, and because of the great transportation service, I'd stay here again if I were in the area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Larchmont, NY
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Avon Old Farms used to be our go-to place. The place has really gone downhill. Dirty carpets, soiled fabrics on furniture, dirty dust ruffles on the bed, musty smell. Changing rooms didn't help; same story.

• Stayed April 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

The carpet and furniture in our first room (#109, supposedly a "renovated room") was so old and FILTHY I didn't even want to take my shoes off.
The bathroom was not much better, one of those old fashioned combination light/fan units so noisy it sounds like a plane flying overhead the entire time you have the light on.
To top it off, WiFi in Room 109 didn't work, so we moved to Room 136, also supposedly a "renovated room". The carpet in Rm. 136 was slightly less horrifying, though the bed skirt is disgusting and looks like it hasn't been changed in YEARS, same with the upholstered chairs which look like they started out as blue and white stripe, but are now different shades of brown and dark yellow, except for the arms, where they're just worn-thru and a dull beige.
One thing both rooms have in common is the peculiar set up. (There's plenty of empty space, so that's not the issue.) Across from the bed is a HUGE ceiling to floor mirror, and next to that, inconveniently located just beyond your line of sight is an armoire housing a really old TV with basic cable (Rm 109 is a Sony, Rm 136 is a Panasonic). On one side of the bed is a bedside table and on the other side they awkwardly just pushed a big desk over so I supposed part of that is meant to serve as a bedside table.
Bottom line is we're only here for 1 night (thankfully) and don't have time to look for another place to stay, but for $159 a night I have to think even a roadside motel would be better.

I uploaded several photos, so you can see that my description is accurate.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank nyshopper105
Jeffrey H, General Manager at Avon Old Farms Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Allow me to apologize for your recent experience during your stay at Avon Old Farms Hotel. The room condition mentioned by you is certainly not what we expect and intend to offer to our guests. I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally about your visit. Please call me at 860-269-0225 at your earliest convenience.

Jeffrey
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I just returned from a 2 night, mid-week stay at the Avon Old Farms Hotel on my second business event there. Overall, the experience was pleasant -- the staff was really the stand out point. They were very accommodating to every need even the strange ones (our search for an extension cord). Jesse - the bartender for all of our night time events - was awesome, remembering my drink each time!

None of the meals were very standout and some of the food was bland. The dessert was fun (ice cream bar, and s'mores, fruit tart).

My room was very cold - with the AC kicking on at night (or what felt and sounded like the AC, I didn't check it out). Also, the rooms in the connecting hallway may have issues accessing enough voltage. This hall lights flicker when ever you close the door, and in my room, the bathroom lights flickered when I used the hairdryer. Also, the bathroom lights are very dim and not great for getting ready under.

It is definitely a cozy place although lugging your laptop back and forth from the Talcott room to the Towpath definitely got a little old - but that might have just been the design of our event.

Overall, I'm a fan of the hotel, but would recommend staying in the larger section near the top parking lot.

Room Tip: The whole set up of the hotel is a little bizzare - it looks like it was built over time with multip...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shāna L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Simsbury Inn
Residence Inn Hartford Avon
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Hartford Marriott Downtown

Been to Avon Old Farms Hotel? Share your experiences!