“Tongue slapping good !!!!!”
Review of Sandbar Seafood and Restaurant - CLOSED

Sandbar Seafood and Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Newberry, Florida
“Tongue slapping good !!!!!”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Good seafood in the middle of Florida.
We were seated quickly.
Drinks within 2 minutes and order taken.
Food out at a reasonable time.
Hats off to the cooks, food was and is great.
Service great.
Friend told us about SANDBAR.
We also will inform others.

• Visited May 2013

gainesville, fl
“Run!!!!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Horrible run away!!! Cold food. Not fresh, whoever is cooking does not know how to cook. Someone is going to get sick. Run!!!!!!

3 Thank gainesvillebull
Gainesville, Florida
“Aweful food and poor customer service”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

A friend and I went to this new restaurant looking forward to a girls lunch out. The menu looked great--lots of wonderful seafood offerings. We ordered scallops. When I asked if the green beans were fresh, the waitress said, "I think they are frozen". When I asked about the corn on the cob, she said she thought it was fresh.
I often order scallops in restaurants and I have never ever had such as this--I regret I did not take a picture. They were chopped! But I think that's because they were not scallops. There were two tiny whole baby scallops and I'm not sure what the rest of the white shreds were but I do know they were not scallops. The whole thing was flavorless. My companion said it was worse that that; she thought they tasted bad. I wonder what it was that we were eating.
The corn on the cob was definitely frozen (you know those perfect little 4 inch ears) and watery and flavorless--offered with hydrogenated spread. The steak fries were frozen regular french fries with no flavor. The baked potato wasn't much better. When the waitress asked how we liked the meal, we were nice but said not very much. I told her that I'd never had scallops delivered chopped and they didn't taste like scallops. She simply walked away. When we went to pay at the register the lady there was surely. We had a purchased "deal" so the food was only half price, but it wasn't even worth that.
The food was terrible; and the attitude of the restaurant was that they just didn't care.
I myself bought other "deals" for this place and am hoping to get my vouchers refunded.
We asked if we could sit outside but were told they only had one server so service would be very slow; so we ate inside (we later counted at least 3 servers!)

2 Thank flamerritt
Alachua, Florida, United States
“Great bang for the buck!”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I am a native New Englander, so I can tell you up front, that I am PICKY about seafood dining.

This restaurant is definitely going through some growing pains, and the weakest link is for sure the checking out end of it. I agree with the reviewer who complained about the length of time to get a check/pay/etc. It is a *lengthy* process. However, I can't give them a bad rating, based on check-out procedures. They will work out the kinks, over time.

The food is phenomenal. No other way to say it. My husband and I went one day, in March, when they were offering $5 lunch specials. I had clam strips, hubby had popcorn shrimp. Either of our plates would have been enough for 2+ people. And they don't just give you a heap of french fries to make it *look* like a lot of food. The seafood on the plate, far outnumbered the fries....which, by the way were skin-on goodness. Hush puppies were spot on..not too oily, or dry. Just right. Breading was light, and not gritty on the seafood.

It is such a welcome relief, to have a restaurant in Alachua that is serving good food, at fair prices. Their staff, and procedure is going to take time. I am sure not all restaurants operate flawlessly in the first few months of opening.

Give them a chance, if you like seafood. Be patient. Good food is hard to come by, outside the city of Gainesville, and we need to show our support to the smaller venues.

• Visited March 2013
Gainesville, FL
“Disappointed.”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to a great seafood dinner. Our hopes were high. Here goes. Our server was sweet, friendly, and polite. She was not educated about what her restaurant served including the bar. She did say that they offered a full bar. Whoopee! I ordered a Jack and Coke. I was told that they didn't have Jack Daniels in stock yet. So, I got a NOT Jack and Coke. When it was served in a PEPSI glass, I knew I wasn't going to be thrill with the drink. Meanwhile, hubby is a beer drinker. He asked her what imports they served and she was truly a dear in the headlights. To make it easier, I asked her what beers they served. She rattled off a list of domestic brands and some grocery store imports. Hubby ordered a 7 & 7 instead. We both ordered waters as well. The cocktails came out pretty quickly, but were a little weak. As forcasted, my Not Jack and Pepsi was lackluster. We didn't get our waters.

Dinner ordering time. Hubby asked about the scallops, bay or sea? The server had no idea. So, he ordered the grilled grouper instead. I ordered the first mates plate-fried. The food came out in a reasonable amount of time. I love fried seafood and this was not disappointing. It was a HUGE serving, easily enough seafood for two people. There was a large variety of scallops, oysters, fish, clams, shrimp, crab, and a few hush puppies to boot. This was all good. My only complaint was that the batter was just a bit to salty for my taste. My husband's grouper was just... sad. It was frozen and way overcooked. We both ordered corn on the cob and green beans. They were served at room temperature. We finally got a glass of water when they brought our food. We asked for tarter sauce and seafood sauce, a to go box, a glass of merlot, and our other glass of water. We got the tarter sauce and seafood sauce pretty quickly and the merlot as well.

We had finished our meal and were waiting for our check and waiting and waiting... You get the picture. Finally, I had to go up to the register and ask the lady working if she would send our server with our check, the to go box, and the glass of water. A different server brought over check and told us that our server had gotten backed up. (Frankly, this is not my problem.) An even different server brought out to go box. We decided it was time to cut our losses and check out.

If you love fried food, you'll enjoy it. Remember, Pepsi products only. You'd probably be save with a domestic beer. Anything beyond that, dine at your own risk. Our bill was $51. This included 2 dinners, 2 cocktails, and a glass of wine. It wasn't worth it. I kept thinking that this reminded me of a Long John Silvers with a bar.

2 Thank BizzyBlond