“New standard for sweet potato fries”

Conestogas Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Alachua
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Wandered into Alachua out of curiosity, decided to have lunch at the Conestoga Restaurant. Rustic, quaint atmosphere, friendly people. Amazing sweet potato fries, thick cut, not greasy at all. Excellent SMB - Swiss mushroom burger, well cooked, good seasoning. Conestoga salad had nicely flavored chicken pieces on top. Even the shell-your-own peanuts on the table have a subtle spicy flavor. Highly recommend. This will become an I-75 regular for us. Next time will spend more time exploring the shops along Main Street.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

A great place to eat. If you have not had a Stogie Burger with sweet potato fries. You truely are missing something great! Great steaks, chicken, salads, and more. If for some reason you are unhappy, Just ask for Rick (the owner) and he will right any wrong. Good food, people, and service. Go hungry!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have been eating at Conestogas in Alachua for over 20 years. It is a rustic old restaurant with western decor. It is not fancy, but that doesn't stop the patrons from coming. It is very busy and very popular with locals. However, the quality of the steaks has gone down considerably over the years! We celebrated our anniversary in March by going to Conestogas for dinner. My husband's steak was juicy and tender, but mine was dry, tough and burnt. Our older daughter's chicken breast was dry as well, but our younger daughter's burger was fine. The service in March was very good and they brought us a "free dessert" and sang "happy anniversary". That was a nice treat. ---- Last Friday night, however, my husband wanted to go back for a Father's Day steak dinner. Unfortunately, this time both of our steaks were not good. Mine had a lot of grissle and it was hard to chew. Our Conestoga Junior sirloins (listed in the menu as a customer favorite) were awful! They were charred on the outside, medium-well on the inside, tough, grissely and had no flavor. We ordered them cooked medium, but they were not pink at all inside. Thankfully, our youngest daughter's children's sirloin was pink, tender and flavorful. She thoroughly enjoyed her's. Our waitress was very pleasant and polite, but she was overworked. Once the food arrived, she only came by once to check on us because she had too many tables to serve! Our sweet teas were empty most of the time. A waiter must have seen our empty glasses because he came and refilled our drinks once, but that was all. We were finished eating for a while, and most of the tables were empty, by the time she returned and we got the bill. The bill was $59 (before a tip) for two adult dinners and one child's dinner, no dessert. We will not be going back to Conestogas anytime soon. The food quality is poor, the service is slow, and the prices are high. It's just not a very good restaurant anymore.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I'm astounded by the reviews that people are leaving for this restaurant. Mom & Pop steakhouse? Their steak is tough, flavorless and overcooked. Their decor is atrocious. Honestly I wonder if people know that 15 min down the road is the town of Gainesville which is a REAL town that has REAL food. Not greasy overcooked flavorless food. Or even 10 minutes to High Springs and go to the Great Outdoors. MUCH better food and 10 times better service. I feel like many of these 4 and 5 star reviews must be from their employees or family. Don't waste your time... keep driving.

3  Thank Rose M
Reviewed 15 May 2014

On a recent business trip I had the good fortune to eat lunch at this restaurant twice. Both meals were very memorable.

On both occasions I had different waitresses. They were attentive, friendly and warm, making me feel like I was eating at the home of a friend. The menu is extensive and no matter what you get whether a burger or salad (the two items I got on my two trips) I recommend the small one. If you're very hungry and order the regular size portion then you will likely take some food home. I'm not sure what they put in the hamburger, but it was about the best tasting burger I've had anywhere, and the junior sized burger had to be at least 1/2 pound.

The decor is like a well kept American diner/family restaurant, and is casual. The food was served fast and in plenty of time to eat in an hour long lunch break.

The prices are also very reasonable, and they have a nice selection of ice cream if you still have any room left!

Highly recommended. If you're in Alachua, stop here first. This is a great place for lunch and you won't go away disappointed or hungry. If they ever stop serving food, they could go into business teaching other restaurants about service, quality and hospitality.

And one last thing, if there isn't any parking on the street, try around the back.