“Custom Made Donuts - what a great idea”

The Donut Experiment
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Anna Maria
Price range: US$1 - US$12
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Welcome to The Donut Experiment, where every donut is your creation! We start with a delicious, fresh-made cake donut and then you pick from our huge selection of icings and toppings. Yours can be as simple as plain or glazed or as crazy as key lime, maple bacon or Sriracha. Stop by today and begin your own experiment. We also serve premium, local roasted coffee and espresso drinks.
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We read reviews on this place and with my love of a good donut I had to try it. My wife and I ended up going 3 times and taking her brother and wife too. They are hot cake donuts with your choice of glaze and topping. It is really a terrific little place. It wasn't too busy when we were there but I understand it can get backed up. Be sure to go!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We went early to avoid the lines that other reviewers talked about. Our doughnuts had pretty good flavor, but they were NOT served to us warm. We were expecting warm, fresh doughnuts per other reviews but we didn't get them so that was disappointing. A little pricy for cold cake doughnuts and coffee.

Anna_Maria_Donuts, Owner at The Donut Experiment, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I just wanted to point out that we never advertise that our donuts are always served hot. What we do advertise is that they are always served fresh. What that means is that they are never more than an hour old and are made at least once an hour, usually more. This is in stark contrast to most "cheaper" donut shops where you are served previously frozen donuts that are thawed and then served to the customer. Feel free to stop by the shop and enjoy another round of donuts on us or a refund. We want all of our customers to leave happy!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We woke up way too early for most breakfast places to be open, but thankfully Anna Maria Donuts opens at 7. Although I'm not normally a fan of cake donuts, these were fresh and amazing. I had one glazed and one key lime. Yum! We came back later in the day for iced coffee, which they cold brew in-house. Very smooth and delicious!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Fresh cooked and then prepared to order cake donuts. When I saw they only had cake donuts, I was disappointed, as I don't care for them. But I went along, anyway. Apparently my problem was that I've never had hot, fresh cake donuts. O. M. G. Like mana from heaven! The donuts are delicious, the service extremely friendly, and the prices very reasonable. A must do during your trip to AMI!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Great place to have donuts. Had a great time and the donuts where out of this world! Will take my family again!

Tom