“unique atmosphere great breakfast menu” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sign of The Mermaid

Sign of The Mermaid
Ranked #13 of 23 Restaurants in Anna Maria
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bradenton, Florida
“unique atmosphere great breakfast menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Converted house with eclectic furnishings. Charming atmosphere and sophisticated menu. Food is good but pricey. Avoid ordering individual items from menu and stick to specials and combination dinners. The same item is 1/2 the menu price on special page. Breakfast is special.

• Visited October 2013

Tampa, Florida
“Really wanted to like it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel, along with a few other options. I love quaint, local places and I was really looking forward to eating breakfast here. I loved the old home setting. So our first morning, we went straight to them. We had a wait for a table, which was completely understandable. When we did get our table, we were put in a hallway to the bathroom, separated from all other tables. I was still hopeful. But then was disappointed when we were told they were out of a few items (and me being vegetarian, I have limited options to begin with at most restaurants). I would've still been ok with everything but we unfortunately received poor service on top of it. We didn't see much of our waitress. And once we were done eating, we sat there with our empty plates, waiting for our check, for quite a long time.
I do believe in second chances and I will probably go back and give them another try. (We live about an hour away and have started staying on AMI a couple times a year) But we were just there again this weekend, and we just weren't ready yet.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank hollyNhollywood
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Last time...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Went to Sign of The Mermaid last night for the last time. Sad but true! We have been going to this restaurant now for many years, I would guess 10 for our anniversary (and other occasions) and each time we go back we say we won't do it again.

While our service was fine there was a table next to us that was basically ignored the entire time, they were sat before us and didn't get their appetizer until after we were brought our dinner. It was actually our waiter (he has been waiting on us for 9 years now) who started bringing out their food. What was most inappropriate was that their waiter never once apologized to them, never really gave them the time of day!

Food, service and environment has definitely gone down hill. The ac must be on the fritz, very warm. Overall not cleanly. Bathrooms are horrendous. Food is maybe a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10, maybe. Wine list has been minimalized and not for the better. We have been skipping dessert now for the last couple years.. go down the road to Euphemia Haye for that!!

From reviews it seems like this is basically a hit or a miss but for the last couple years we have not had a hit. Best of luck to you Sign of The Mermaid, you brought us fond memories but it is time for us to move on.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kelly H
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I read a couple of reviews before going to this restaurant which put me off slightly. However, my experience of this restaurant is one of great service, excellent food and a great atmosphere. The blackened swordfish and sushi grade tuna were absolutely awesome. I am lucky enough to be in this area for a few more days so will be visiting this restaurant again.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jim L
Tampa, Florida
“delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Love this spot. It was been in business for years and has had quite a following. Great menu with seafood, beef, chicken and lamb. The fresh catch is consistently good. Service has been good too. Take your appetite.

Visited July 2014