“Stay away!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of House of Tartts

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Apalachicola
House of Tartts
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Apalachicola
hiltonhead SC
“Stay away!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

My husband and I stayed at the House of Tartts last New Years. we came down without reservations and stumbled upon this old house with a phone number. we called and got. " Virginia" who told us to look in the mailbox for the keys and if we did not mind putting linens on the bed we could sleep in the front room. the price she quoted was $110.00. when we got inside, we found we had to clean the bathrooms, change the beds and clean the kitchen I called Virginia and negotiated a lower Rate. she was agreeable, told us where to leave the cash. We had dinner out, came back, slept well, checked out the next day. We started receiving very strange phone calls about two days later telling us we didnt leave enough money. it was Virginia, she was clling me by a different name and telling me I slept in the Queen room. she was obviously confusing us with another guest.
Aside from this confusion, We decided to return to Apalachicola with a group and stay at the House of Tartts . We once again made reservations through Virginia by email in May, 2012 for a three night stay over New Years 2013. We were 5 couples coming from all over the east coast for a get together. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the carriage house due to a change of plans I contacted Virginia as soon as I knew. I was told this was not a problem. Now, less than three weeks from our arrival, Virginia emails me that we have been bumped out because the owner rented the house to someone else.
Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else! This is the most unprofessional, disorganized group I have ever dealt with.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank hiltonhead123

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed here for a anniversary/birthday getaway and totally enjoyed it. The cottage is beautifully restored and it feels a bit like stepping back in time. We parked the car and walked everywhere - it is very close to downtown but on a quiet side street. We had the place to ourselves for most of the weekend. There is a great kitchen that we didn't use. We stayed in the suite and had lots of room. Loved the porch that wraps around the house - perfect place for afternoon cocktails! This would be a great house to rent with family or a reunion and then you could rent the whole place.

Room Tip: The suite has a bathroom within it - the other downstairs room has a bathroom down the hall.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimkelling15
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

My Girlfriend and I needed to get away from the city we live in. And we decided to drive over to an area of Florida we haven't been too. And that was Apalachicola, Fl. I found this Historic guest house called "House of Tartts"on Yahoo and TripAdvisor. And showed the info to my Girlfriend and we booked it for Friday June 24th thur June 27th 2011. Once we arrived are keys to the House were in the front door mailbox inside a large brown envelope with instuctions of are room rate and which keys went to everthing.

Once we walked inside we felt like it was home. And thats how it felt too us for three nights and four days. We had the King Suite the bed was nice with several pillows three each between us, with TV & DVD. The Bathroom for the King suite is down the hall and its the only one with Tub & Shower with a great supply of Hot Water. I took two baths along with several showers and EVER ran out of Hot Water! The sink had a shelf about it inwhich you could place a lot of personal items. And the bathroom had good lighting, at first I felt the toilet seat was too high but I was told older people and ones in wheelchairs love it so it was ok. The Kitchen that was in the Main house was shared with the other Guests. We didn't cook anything but we did store are tea and drinks in the refrigerator and we used the ice up in the freezer.

This area was perfect if you wanted to be in Alalachicola, Fl. you could walk to the local shops and dine close by. My Girlfriend likes to Jog and she felt safe. I walked the town several times taking photos here and there, and I also felt Very Safe. The Best thing about this Guest House was Virginia & the Owner Ouida they made you feel at home. The least was one couple that was up in the Loft that Kept there TV Loud and Talked till 1:30am!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank itellitlikeitis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

We rented the loft suite the night before checking in to a home on St George Island. The owner is a pleasure to deal with and the property is located just 1 block from the main drag, making a walk to restaurants/businesses easy.
The loft is a remodeled attic that was done in pine planks and wainscotting. It was very well done and has some well thought out ideas to address the challenges of the space. Though being at the top of a Florida house, the air conditioning easily drops the suite down to meat locker-there are also 2 ceiling fans and 2 other fans. It was extremely clean-we found one deceased bug in the bathroom and that was all, and in FL a dead bug means things are being done right. The beds were comfortable and the area spacious.
Downsides? The full bath only has a jacuzzi tub and no shower. There is a shower wand but the tub is tucked under the slanted roof. You will not be standing unless you are below 4"06' and there is no shower curtain. Access to the suite is via spiral staircase, so access can be an issue and it limits how much you can bring up at once. The internet was spotty at times.
The shared areas of the house are similar in cleanliness and usefullness. One of the downstairs suites appeared to also have a bath that was not en suite-if it matters to you I would ask.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank the5neumanns
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here and really enjoyed ourselves. We didn't know what to expect after booking the trip from just looking on tripadvisor. When we got there we were amazed at what a nice place it was and how close it was to all the shops and restaurants. The house was built in 1855 and completely restored about ten years ago. It is a wonderfully charming place with nice rooms and a great backyard and wrap around porch. We can't wait to come back and stay again. On top of the house itself the owner was incredibly friendly and welcoming. Do yourself a favor and skip the big places and enjoy a nice night here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lawdawg04
Harvest, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2009

My husband and I stayed in the loft Halloween weekend, and had a great stay. The guest house is very well restored, very clean, and in a perfect location for walking around Apalachicola (which was very very quiet in October). We didn't use the communal kitchen much, but if we had spent less time on the beach on St George Island, and more time planning and shopping for groceries at the Pig, we would have, because like the rest of the house it was welcoming, clean, comfortable, and well decorated.
We are used to other panhandle destinations like Destin and Panama City Beach, so Apalachicola and St. George Island were a welcome change, especially this time of year, when the weather could have been too cool for simply lying on the beach (come on, we're Southerners--70 degrees is a little cool for us...). I was prepared to do a little shopping in Apalachicola and visit the museum. But, alas, the weather was fantastic, and we ended up on the beach most of the time. The one time it rained, we ended up at Eddy Teach's raw bar on SGI and waited for it to pass.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ALRoadTrip
minneola, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

This was our third stay at The House of Tartts in Apalachicola and we were once again reminded why we love it.

We first wanted to visit Apalachicola just because it's a fun word to say and we really wanted to see a different side of Florida. We immediately fell in love with the town and I truly believe it was because of where we were staying.

The house is a "self-catering" bed and breakfast. There is no innkeeper on site, but they are just a phonecall away if you need anything. The common areas of the kitchen and dining room are shared by the guests in the three rooms. Even with other guests at the house we truly felt like it was our home. We used the kitchen for breakfasts and some dinners, it is fully stocked with pots, pans, dinnerware, etc. The house is a short walk to the grocery store, the Piggly Wiggly ( this is the real south...gotta love it). One of our favorite things about the town is that you can walk everywhere, shopping, restaurants, bars, fishing...it's all right there. Bring a traveller and go explore!!

We have always stayed in the Queen Suite, plenty of room for three as there is a separate room with a day bed. The room is decorated with some of the coolest most eclectic antiques, the artwork over the fireplace is a piece of magic and confusion!!! We have seen the other rooms and the carriage house and they are equally beautiful and entertaining. The entire house is decorated in a manner that begs you to explore, there are also photo albums showing the original home and renovation process.

Go to Apalachicola, you will not regret it. The drive there is beautiful, stop and get some tupelo honey on the way. Explore some of the most interesting shops in the south, eat tons of oysters, go fishing and just relax. But when you go, definately stay at the House of Tartts, get a glass of wine and a book and hang out on the front porch...this is what a vacation is supposed to be.

• Liked — feeling like we left the real world behind
  • Disliked — having to go back to the real world when we left
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank planetpeanut
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe
Mainstay Suites
Mainstay Suites
#2 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to House of Tartts? Share your experiences!