“We will definitely return!”
Review of Coombs House Inn

Coombs House Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Apalachicola B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our three day visit to the Coombs House Inn far surpassed our expectations. Our accommodations were extremely comfortable and very tastefully decorated. Each day we were served a different and delicious gourmet breakfast. The owners and staff were gracious and so helpful---explaining the history of the inn and the surrounding sites. They also recommended many good restaurants. We definitely plan to return again. Such kind and individual treatment was greatly appreciated! Norene and Larry Taylor

Room Tip: Lovely claw foot tub in the Tupelo room.
1  Thank Norene T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Although the add said we were bidding on room 15,the pictures showed entirely pictures from what room15 actually was.
This room was a joke it was the size of a large walkin closet. Just enough room on either side of bed to squeeze by.Very small flatscreen tv,maybe17-19 inches.
The furniture looked to be what they had left over from all the other rooms,which the other rooms looked very nice.
we were the only guest in this big house and it would have been nice to have been offered another room,but #15 was the one we bid on.

Room Tip: When bidding online try to get exact picture of what you are bidding on.Room 15 was unable to get wi...
Reviewed 21 July 2013

WE stayed in the Coombs room which is in the main building(no pets allowed) which was beautiful. The entire facility is beautifully maintained. The staff was extremely helpful. My only complaint was that the homemade part of the breakfast was too similar on consecutive days.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We had two nights in the Biltmore suite of two rooms. The king-sized bed was incredibly comfortable. The jacuzzi tub was very relaxing after our 4-hour drive. Appalachicola is a fun place to visit. The seafood is some of the best we get anywhere. The Coombs House Inn is located in an excellent spot that is close to restaurants and shops and is only 3 blocks from a grocery store and a CVS Pharmacy. While in town be sure to visit The Honey Hole. The owner is just full of information and Southern charm, and he carries good merchandise. You'll leave with a smile on your face--and probably a bag that is too heavy to carry. The innkeepers at the Coombs House are helpful and pleasant folks. They will help you in any way possible, will see you have a delicious breakfast, and will have delicious cookies for you from 3-5 in the afternoon. Coffee and tea are available all day.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are probably good choices. When you choose, remember the Inn is on Hwy 98.
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I am cross-posting my yelp review because I found this hotel through TripAdvisor and did not have the great experience it seems everyone else had and felt it was important to share!

While our stay was adequate, I've stayed at Gibson House before with zero complaints and have had a number of complaints while staying here. I don't think I would stay here again and I don't think I would particularly recommend it either, although perhaps if you were staying just one night (we stayed a week) in a regular room (we were in a suite) it would be better.

I'll start with the good: Our suite was plenty big with a fair sized kitchen, nicely appointed bedroom, sitting room, bathroom, and a small porch. The wifi is fast and they have complimentary towels, beach umbrellas, and chairs to take with you to the beach. It is right on hwy 98 and only a couple blocks from the main drag making it easy to find. They also told us that if we were heading out early any morning (for, say, charter fishing) they would have a continental breakfast ready for us if we told them ahead of time. As mentioned, we had a kitchen and one day the housekeeping loaded our dishwasher for us, which I thought was above the call of duty! I also liked that they included different bath salts every day when they cleaned the bathroom.

Now the bad: The main reason we spent the extra money on a suite was in order to cook for ourselves. They made this incredibly difficult because the kitchen equipment consisted entirely of the following: one frying pan, one sauce pan, a metal collander, a few measuring spoons, a whisk, a couple dull paring knives, plus a few plates, soup bowls (shallow), glasses, etc. There was an oven, but nothing oven safe to put in it and not a single mixing bowl. I made ceviche and had to make it in the sauce pan because it was the only container big enough! I understand having to bring your own specialty equipment and spices but seriously---would it kill them to have a baking dish or even a tray? Or some cheap mixing bowls? Seriously, with $20 and a yard sale I could outfit this kitchen! Plus the trashcan was one of those tiny bathroom ones and could barely fit two soda cans, let alone real trash. As mentioned, there was a dishwasher but no dishwasher soap--only a half full bottle of liquid dawn.

This may give you the impression I'm a little bit of a food snob, and perhaps my lack of excitement over the breakfast will continue that impression, although I don't think my expectations were overly high. I expected fresh, homemade breakfast and instead the kitchen here is clearly a glorified microwave because I doubt anything served us was made in-house, was fresh, or made in anyone's home. The continental breakfast part was fine, what you would expect at even the lamest hotel, but the 'hot' portion of the breakfast was basically a stream of reheated crap. Day one was french toast and bacon, both of which reminded me of summer camp, day two was eggs, toast, and bacon with the eggs clearly some kind of scrambled egg mix, day three was breakfast casserole 1, day 4 breakfast casserole 2, and day 5 (named stuffed french toast) was sweet breakfast casserole. I mean, how hard would it be to get a waffle iron and just churn some waffles out? I would've been more impressed with even that than a series of lackluster re-heated casseroles that tasted like cafeteria food. I never saw more than 10 people in the dining room at once and can't imagine they are routinely ever serving more than 20 people so I really feel like they could do better. I've stayed at Hampton Inns with better complimentary breakfasts.

Lastly, I was supremely unimpressed with the staff. I e-mailed several times ahead of my visit to ask for recommendations about boat rentals, local outfitters, and then to ask about what was in the en-suite kitchen. To my first two enquiries they simply pointed me to the local tourism website, which clearly I could find on my own and simply was hoping to find out if they had a good relationship with anyone in particular. They never responded to my third, and clearly I would have brought some kitchen supplies with me if they had! Once we arrived I went to talk to the girl at the desk because the housekeeping threw away my shampoo (I admit it was a solid bar and could have been an honest mistake) and I needed more and to let her know we were leaving early the next morning to go scalloping. She didn't apologize at all for my shampoo and told me not to worry about breakfast--it would definitely be set out when we got thereand we would easily get on the road in time to catch our boat. When we arrived to breakfast the next morning nothing was out and the cook told us that even though she had seen the girl I had talked to already that morning, the girl hadn't mentioned our needing an early breakfast. She proceeded to tell us the girl was new, and an idiot, which didn't surprise me but I thought was unprofessional to tell us! She did get stuff out for us quickly but clearly a lack of organization.

tl;dr I wouldn't stay here again and think there are better places!

3  Thank Morgan B
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Spent two nights at the Coombs House Inn at the end of June. Needed a relaxing break & this was perfect. The Inn is decorated with such care & detail. Take time to really look around the place. Also look at the photo album that chronicles the restoration & you will really appreciate what a monumental task it was to rescue the house from ruin. Talk to Stella the Inn Keeper. She is wonderful & tell you many great stories.Also met the Owner, Lady Lynn. Loved breakfast. Enjoyed Apalachicola. Ate lunch at Up the Creek & dinner at the Owl Café. Both were very good. Visited the shops & also St George Island.

Room Tip: Went with a friend & we stayed in the Raney Room. It is on the second floor of the main house. I...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JammieDodger15
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I was in Apalachicola for a wedding this weekend, and the Coombs House Inn was gorgeous. The decor was quaint, the staff friendly, and the bed was so comfortable that I wanted to tie it to the top of my car and take it with me. Everything was clean, and the bathroom was far more spacious than I would have expected. I had a great time!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
#2 of 2 in St. George Island
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Coombs House Inn? Share your experiences!