“Slightly Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 3 Apalachicola B&B and Inns
The Villages, Florida
“Slightly Disappointed”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We went to the Coombs House Inn to celebrate our 43rd anniversary with a weekend getaway. After all the rave reviews we were slightly disappointed at the lack of a personal touch. Most B&B's have an on-site owner or hostess to greet you, give you a tour and welcome you to their "home". Coombs was run more like a hotel - no real welcome other than pointing us to our room by "someone" who worked there in some capacity - not sure what. The only real personal conversation was with the breakfast chef who was a delight and gave us some history on the buildings and good dinner recommendations. We stayed on the first floor of the mansion in the Magnolia Room. It was surprisingly quiet despite being between the front door and the dining room. But again we expected more after all the rave reviews. The room was clean except for very dusty lampshades and alarm clock. We did not have a closet but did have a lovely armoire to hang our clothes in .... on very small hooks. No hangers! There was also no luggage rack or table on which to put our luggage. We had to put it on the floor. We also had no place to put the lovely magnolia bedspread when we went to bed - that too ended up on the floor - yuk!! J Breakfast was excellent both mornings we were there and again, the breakfast chef was very personable. The mansion is beautifully restored, beautifully decorated but lacks the personal touches and niceties one expects from a B&B.

1 Thank FloridaVillagers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The inn was beautiful. From the outside, we could tell that this was going to be a good experience. The inside of the house is very interesting. The staff was very helpful. Our room (the Heron) was great and we got a wonderful night's sleep. The breakfast was wonderful. I would definitely recommend this inn to anyone and would stay here again!

London
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our room (in the main house) was really nicely done and had the wow factor but was undermined by the rug in the centre of the room which was covered in long hairs, fluff, dirt and had clearly not been vacuumed. It totally changed my impression of the room and made me doubt overall cleanliness which was a shame. The lady on the front desk was nice about it and said she'd bring the vacuum up while we were out at dinner but she didn't get round to it, so we ended up kind of rolling up the carpet (which clearly hadn't been moved in some time) and stepping round it...In fairness she seemed very busy and a bit flustered but it wasn't ideal. On the plus side our bed was super-comfy, we slept very well and breakfast was good and served by a very friendly lady who did her best to lighten the atmosphere in the incredibly dark and musty breakfast room. The other issue that bothered me was the hairdryer in our room which was literally the oldest hairdryer I've ever seen, barely worked and started smoking when I turned it on, so I turned it quickly off again. Things like that seem small but just made the inn feel like a slightly haphazardly run B&B rather than the luxurious small hotel it is marketed as. Suggest they check the small details, and hire a new cleaner at least.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank KatyR
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Room just okay..no coffee cups, etc. water not received each day, front door knob fell off and not replaced. Should pay more attention to details..ie. they asked for birthdays and anniversary dates, kind of expected at least chocolates on our pillow. Owner needs more hands on,

Room Tip: No fitness or swimming pool
1 Thank JOHN K
Ironwood, Michigan
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Very old and authentic looking. The place is in 3 different buildings and you may have to carry your luggage up stairs. There was road noise and noise from next room ( thin walls). Our room smelled musty, did not have any comfortable place to sit and lighting wasn't great. Breakfast was fine and staff accommodating. If you want atmosphere above creature comforts, pay extra and stay here.

Room Tip: First floor or main building if you don't want to go outside to get to breakfast or have to carr...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Sharing with you an email to the owner:

Hello,
Please share this email with the owner. Since you are inviting feedback via the email below I wanted to let you know that this is hands down the worst bed and breakfast that I have ever stayed in - and I travel frequently. My partner and I stayed with you April 3rd - April 6th, 2014. Here is my feedback:

1. Not to attack personality, but because I want women in small business to succeed I will say that the manager (woman with short black hair??) is very unfriendly). When I tried to give you feedback about our unhappiness with first room we stayed in (hemingway) you just stared at me. Tip - say your sorry that the wifi was not working and offer to make up for it with a credit of some kind. Since you adversities Wifi as an amenity, it is your duty to ensure it is working properly. Instead we had to spend 45 minutes figuring out how to make it work before realizing it would not. Instead you just looked annoyed.

2. The room that we moved to on the second day was not well cleaned, there were stains on the chair and a thin layer of dust over everything, including the coffee maker. When the room was cleaned, no toilet paper was provided, even though it was evident the roll was running out. So late it night we had to take toilet paper from an unoccupied room to make it by.

3. Breakfast - our second morning my partner found hair in his food. The 3rd morning the staff informed me there was no vegetarian breakfast - even though I had clearly indicated I am a vegetarian on the reservation. When I asked them why, they looked unbelievably annoyed.

4. Your cleaning staff plays loud music from the garage in the morning ... really?

To sum up, we as guests paying you money, always felt like we were a burden and annoying you and your staff. If you are going to be in this business you have to have the right attitude and bring your A game every day. We saw the C- game. We just wanted a weekend away, a break for stressful professions and to be left a lone. Instead it was one problem after another and everyone time we had to come back to this BB at the end of the day I always felt depressed.

The purpose of this email is not to be spiteful - I was genuinely shocked by this terrible experience and did not share more with the manager after the first day as I saw you were not receptive to it. But per your email below, I will rate your hotel, and share with the guide book where I found you my experience as well. I write this in an attempt to give you insight on a consumers experience and so you might use it to improve.

14 Thank Danielle P
Madison, MS
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were delighted to stay at the Coombs house again. It remains a lovely place to experience old Florida charm, and to be close to what is left of Florida coast, wildlife, and archtecture. The staff as always were wonderful. I highly recommend it to those who wish to escape Disney World and South Beach, and have a true picture of what the state is/was like, and what Florida hospitality is at its best.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad one!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
#2 of 7 in Port Saint Joe
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Coombs House Inn? Share your experiences!