“Cozy and quiet”

Ranked #2 of 3 Apalachicola B&B and Inns
Lake Park,Ga.
“Cozy and quiet”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We have stayed here 4 times and are always made to feel welcome.....rooms are clean and me and the wife enjoy the bar and the free breakfast! Not the newest and plushest but has a home town feel to it! Will be staying again in the future!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AF_peanut4302

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed one night at this hotel over the summer. Although they tried to make it comfy, there were just some things missing.

No hair dryer and if you are needing internet you have to walk down to the lobby (not in your rooms). The lobby closes pretty early so if you need something you are on your own. We also did not care for entering from the outside like a motel but the rooms themselves were okay. Comfortable beds and cute recently renovated bathroom. Great restaurant located on the premises and they offered you a free breakfast which was nice.

Overall I enjoyed the stay but my husband said he would not stay again without internet (he is one of those guys addicted to video games)...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stellabee2009
Shamong, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 September 2011

There are not any first class places to stay in Apalachicola, but if you want one with character and charm this is it. Right on the waterfront and every room has a view. it exudes a kind of old Florida charm that takes you back in time. The people are all extremely friendly and helpful. The stay comes with a free drink voucher for the Roseate Spoonbill Lounge and free breakfast voucher to Carolines for each person. The bar at the spoonbill is small but the place gets crowded and is a fun place to be, especially on Karaoke nights. The free breakfast is in Caroline's River Dining and is awesome (see my review there). Walking distance to all shops in downtown Apalachicola. When you check in, ask for a hair dryer at the desk if you need one. The rooms are charming and appear to have been remodeled in the last few years. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms well laid out, and the AC good. My only complaint was that the ceiling fan hangs down rather low and I am tall so it was an obstacle for me to remember to avoid. Our second floor room had a private balcony, although it was too hot in August to sit out there. Great sunrises. Plenty of offstreet parking. The Boss Oyster House is also connected to the hotel (see my review there). This is my second time here and I will probably be back again. Those in my party say the same thing.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank biminiguy
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 1 September 2011

After several months of stressful work projects, my wife and I travelled to Apalachicola from August 26-29 for some much needed rest and relaxation. The Apalachicola River Inn was just what we needed.
Check in was fast and efficient and I was pleased they honored a special Tripadvisor coupon. Our upstairs room was large with a king-sized bed and other typical hotel amenities. We especially enjoyed the private screened-in verandah overlooking the river (downstairs rooms also have verandahs - but they are not private or screened). Although the afternoons and early evenings were hot (after all it was Florida in August), mornings were nice. Sunrises from the room were spectacular, as were views of the passing boats, birds and other sights.
Included with the room were drink coupons - the bar served us non-alcoholic drinks, and coupons for complimentary breakfasts at Carolines, a restaurant adjacent to the hotel. 'WOW' sums up the breakfast experience, with fresh squeezed OJ, excellent coffee and a variety of well-prepared breakfast choices, from traditional bacon and eggs to shrimp and grits. It was an upscale setting, with linen tablecloths and napkins, and a view of the river that could not be beat. Because it was a little warm each morning, we did not dine in Caroline's outside screened dining area that is also on the river.
One day (and each evening) we walked around Apalachicola, stopping in various shops and visiting a very nice museum (their exhibit was on Ice, honoring a famous local resident invented a method to produce ice in the 1800s). Another shop had a wide assortment of nautical items and was fun to walk through.
The business area and historical district are very pedestrian friendly.
The restaurants in Apalachicola are pricey (most with entrees $18 and up), even those that appeared to be informal cafes. We enjoyed sandwiches at an upstairs restaurant one evening (The Verandah). I had a BLT with green fried tomatoes. Both the food and service were very good at that restaurant. On both Friday and Saturday evenings they had a outdoor singer who was quite talented, making the walk around town very special.
Each day we toured a bit - to Port St Joe, a town 25 miles to the west on the Gulf, to Cape San Blas and St Joe Peninsula State Park (on the way back from Port St Joe), and to St George Island on another day. It was a beach lover's paradise!
Our weekend was most enjoyable - we hope to return again to the Apalachicola River Inn, the town of Apalachicola and the area again in the future.

Room Tip: Request an upstairs room for the screened verandahs and views!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed two nights and chose The Apalachicola River Inn because of all the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed mid-week the week before school started and there was hardly anyone there, which was fine. We stayed in room 22, clean, bathroom appeared to be recently renovated. Shower was tricky to turn on, but a quick call to the front desk solved the mystery (apparently many have had problems with this, so didn't feel so bad!).
The 2nd floor units have a nice, screened in balcony with two Adirondack chairs and small table, so nice to relax in the evening, early morning risers are rewarded with a beautiful sunrise view. One morning I watched a pod of dolphins feeding in the river in front of our room.
Our room was not cleaned the first day, but a quick trip to the front desk and we had clean towels, plus were given two extra tickets for complimentary drinks that night.
The menu for the complimentary breakfast will satisfy most, something for everyone. The drink coupons are only supposed to be used in the bar, but we were able to use them at dinner the first night at Caroline's which was nice.
We had dinner at Caroline's and the food was awesome, especially the fried oyster tacos.
They do have free wi-fi, but it is located just off guest registration area, at a small table. Tried, but couldn't connect from our room.
All the staff from front desk to waitstaff and bartender were top notch and friendly. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: We had no bar noise, but at busier times ask for a room away from the bar.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank chs80
forsyth
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The breakfast is included in our price and was amazing and we also enjoyed the free drink tickets which was included in our room price. The location was wonderful and we enjoyed fishing from the dock.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank deniseForsyth
durham, nc
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stumbled upon Apalachicola on a road trip along what I came to know as "The Forgotten Coast". After crossing the causeway, I made a right and drove along the riverfront area. This town blew my mind! I'm completely enchanted. After driving around the town a little bit, I parked, walked around and realized that I needed to stay a couple of days.
The first place I went was the River Inn. Charlotte was working the front desk and she gave me 3 room keys and told me i could have my pick. I fell in love with room #8 and stayed there for 2 days. The room really couldn't be cleaner or cuter. This could be the most aesthetically perfect room I've ever stayed in. It had oodles of charm and lots of color. Whoever furnished this room needs to help me decorate the house I want to buy in Apalachicola.
Two free drinks at the Roseate Spoonbill Lounge (thanks for the dozen oysters, Chef John!), the BEST breakfast overlooking a pristine estuary and sunrise over the water. This place is a BIG slice of paradise. Love it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank dollymama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
#2 of 7 in Port Saint Joe
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 7 in Port Saint Joe

Been to Apalachicola River Inn? Share your experiences!