“Very good but...”

Owl Cafe
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very good but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The food was decent but something seemed amiss. I couldn't put my finger on it, but maybe the atmosphere? Maybe we just weren't in the mood for white table clothes? And definitely not the freshest oysters, actually didn't eat one of them because it looked "off."

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Char C

Dallas, Texas
“The food is excellent, while the service is friendly but slow.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

After giving up finding decent food on St. George Island, we found ourselves crossing the bridges to eat out, and on our last night of vacation, we wanted to go somewhere a little special. The Owl Cafe was perfect: a little classier than the raw bars, but most people were in nice shorts and the like. Many other reviewers commented on the slow service, so we were ready for that, but the servers were all friendly. The food was really good, too. I had the special with the scallops -- axing sauce, but it runs into the potatoes and veggies. My husband had raw oysters, which were great (and about $4 cheaper than what they charge on the island) and the steak for dinner -- melted in his mouth. We also ordered the soup, a cream spinach which was decadent. All-in-all, we had a great dinner! I agree with another reviewer who had wished the little gift shop had been open!

Dallas
“Great overall!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Great overall! I think the prices were pretty high but most of them were worth the portion of the food!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Unmet Expecations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Before reading this review, please keep in mind that even consistently good restaurants may occasionally serve a less than perfect meal. I chose to try the Owl Cafe because of the high reviews in TripAdvisor. I had read the reviews in advance and took the time to familiarize myself with their menu. They had something to offer everyone in our group of six adults and three children. We stopped in for lunch after spending the morning shopping in Apalachicola.

As noted in other reviews, our service was extremely slow. We waited an uncomfortably long time for our server to introduce herself and take our drink orders. At that time we ordered two appetizers: Tuscan Grilled Bruschetta and American Blue Crab Dip. Both the appetizers were absolutely delicious. I especially enjoyed the crab dip. Even those in our group that normally do not eat seafood loved it. After such wonderful appetizers, we had high expectations for our entrees.

Unfortunately, we had another uncomfortably long wait before the main courses arrived at our table. There were four cheeseburgers ordered by our group. Each was requested to be cooked either medium or medium well. However, they were all prepared identically - well done to the point of being stiff and dry. The patties may have started at half a pound, but they were a bit smaller than a quarter pound after cooking. After waiting so long for our entrees, we did not consider sending them back to the kitchen. My wife was equally disappointed with her Chicken Wrap. It was heavy on Feta and devoid of any other notable flavor profiles. On the other hand, the Grouper Sandwich that I ordered was good. The kids also enjoyed their Grill Cheese Sandwiches.

It's been said that disappointment is caused by unmet expectations. We definitely had high expectations for the Owl Cafe that were not met, but I would still try it again if we return to the area. As I stated earlier, even great restaurants can occasionally serve a meal that is less than perfect.

1 Thank Jefftea1
Florida
“A little disappointed ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Went here for an anniversary dinner. Service was great - my husbands dinner was great - mine was awful! Barely ate it (chicken marsala). No compensation - not that I was looking for it but it would have been nice to offer. There are lots if better and more affordable places to go!

1 Thank keaveney-walker