“Nice dinner”

Caroline's Dining on the River
Ranked #19 of 38 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We recently stopped by for a family dinner with 3 small kids. We ate inside as opposed to the outside river dining area (heard one of the locals talk about how bad the bugs were that night). Waitstaff was attentive. Wine list small. Fish dinners were excellent. Crab cakes and, of course, raw oysters had great taste. Portions were large in size. The tuna appetizers could easily pass for a dinner entree.

1  Thank traveljim007

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had several meals, including breakfast, big dinner and light dinner. The dogs loved the screened porch seating and so did we. Beautiful views and bug free. Try the Oyster Cakes for breakfast. All the food was delicious.

1  Thank ShelbyLyn62
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Caroline's is fabulous! My family and I have visited St. George island for over 14 years now and Caroline's in Apalach is always a must. The food, service, and atmosphere is awesome. An old world Florida treasure. Can't wait for our next trip, our youngest daughter carries her namesake. Till next time.... ;)

2  Thank Mkaykennedy
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This restaurant, on the water in a quaint town, provided a very good evening of dinner and relaxation for us. The food was not the type of meal that would rate excellent in fancy restaurants, but it was a very good meal. The best part was being out on the dock by the water. You can easily rest here.

1  Thank Paul U
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Nice view, pleasant atmosphere outside, but that's all that was good about it. There were two separate tables of diners on the outside patio area. Both tables waited over an hour for the food to arrive. After 50 minutes I went inside to ask about the delay and was told they were busy. No apology, no "sorry for the delay", just "we're busy". It was one hour and 15 minutes before our food was finally placed on the table. I ordered Blackened Grouper. It was a 4 inch long triangular tail piece. Total fish size if it was a rectangle would have been less than the size of a deck of cards. Certainly not worth $16. My wife's food was "OK", nothing special. On the way out I asked to speak to the manager. I mentioned the long wait. Her response was "we're busy". I mentioned the small piece of $16. fish. Her response was "we're running low on food". It was at that point that I realized where the rest of the staff learned their "couldn't care less" attitude... from the manager.

All in all, it was a very satisfactory experience, from the long wait, the average food, the small portion, and the attitude of the manager.

1  Thank Treusse