“A good place for a seafood dinner in Apalachicola.”

Papa Joe's Oyster Bar & Grill
Ranked #9 of 38 Restaurants in Apalachicola
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Chillicothe, Ohio
“A good place for a seafood dinner in Apalachicola.”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had been to Papa Joe's nine years ago. At that time it was located at Scippo Creek Marina. We headed down the road to the marina, when we saw a sign that Papa Joe's had relocated to "D" Street downtown in Apalachicola.The place was very crowded and we had about a 20 minute wait for a table (we were a party of 12, so that was understandable).The ambiance was quite different than when it was located at the marina. Now it is just a typical downtown restaurant. Nevertheless the prices were reasonable and the food was very good.

• Visited July 2014

Panama City Beach, Florida
“Beware - unwashed Raw Oysters are hazardous to teeth!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Wanna lose a tooth? This manager (or owner) is chancing some serious liability by trying to save money on equipment. Waited quite a while to speak with a manager while food got cold over the disgusting clusters of nasty barnacles and seaweed hanging off raw oysters and specialty oyster appetizers. He did not care, was unsympathetic, and unconcerned when I mentioned reporting it to Trip Advisor (laughed and reported, "that won't hurt me!") Manager said we were 'lucky' to be getting any Apalachicola oysters in the first place...they were not obligated to wash the oysters and did not have a machine to do so; further stated the oysters were bought from a certified dealor, despite oysters hanging from piers looked more appetizing. Regardless, we would not eat them and manager would not adjust the bill, despite spending over $100 on the ticket. One of my sons has been a competitive Oyster Shucker for over five years and when he saw the photos we took, he said there was NO WAY he would serve that to customers. Prob here is that the company is too cheap to buy the machine necessary to provide clean, wholesome oysters because the 'state doesn't require' it. POOR MANAGEMENT not concerned with pleasing customers at all and tried to make me look ignorant when as a 3rdth generation in the seafood industry--I KNOW BETTER! Waitress secretely agreed and did not condone filthy oysters (stating others had complained) but what's a server to do--they just work there. WIll later post photos which were taken on my daughter's cell ph.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank TiltedKilt2013
“Good Food”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We ate at Papa Joe's for lunch. They recently moved to the current location. The atmosphere was rather bland, but the food was very good. I had a shrimp po-boy and my wife had a salad. Good portion size. Our server was friendly and other staff seemed to be also.

NC
“Nothing fancy. Just good, fresh seafood”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Papa Joe's doesn't have the view of other restaurants in Apalachicola, and there's not much that's memorable except for the food itself. But in Florida's seafood coast, that's what we wanted. Papa Joe delivers quality.

Five of us went for lunch during the busy 4th of July week and each person in our party agreed it was among the best meals of the week. We'll be back next summer too.

Visited July 2014
Atlanta, GA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Seafood Done Right!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Popa Joe's Oyster Bar & Grill
Apalachecola, Fl

Last night my wife, son, daughter-in-law, grand-daughter (13) and grandson (9) dined there at 7 PM. The town was packed for the fireworks show and so was the restaurant. Told we had a 30 minute wait. After 20 minutes we were seated. An excellent waitress named Julie (amazing to me how often you have to ask for their name!) took our drink, appetizer and main course requests. We did this as we realized how over worked she was. I am sure they were staffed for a "normal" evenings traffic. The fried pickle spears with jalapeno flavored ranch dressing were the very best appetizer we have ever had! Should have ordered two! The Long Island Ice Teas were also very good. My son and wife each had 1 dozen oysters. Both agreed they were as good as it gets! They had real fresh grouper (you need to ask as they substitute if they are out and this is noted in the menu in small print!). I had mine blackened and it was top drawer! My daughter-in-law had hers' broiled and also thought it to be really good. Like many coastal restaurants there is a lack of ambiance, however, in this case it was made up in food quality. The only complaint is the air conditioning badly needs upgrading. This was previously a gym and I guess they need only a little cold air?

• Visited July 2014