“Perfect Stay”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Apalachicola
Rockmart, GA
“Perfect Stay”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I was lucky enough to stay at the Water Street Hotel for 5 days during the annual Plein Air Paintout prior to joining my family for the remainder of our vacation. This was my 3rd stay over the last few years and once more the Water Street exceeded expectation. On this occasion the floor plan I booked included a king master on the creek side which shared a huge screened porch with the living room. This floor plan includes a day bed and room which while small would certainly be adequate for a child and is adjacent to a second full bath. The king bed was very comfortable and the master bathroom and kitchen were well appointed. I did not use the pool but it and the surrounding area looked clean and inviting. The hotel does provide a muffin, yogurt and fruit cup for those looking for a light breakfast but not wanting to seek out something or prepare anything.

When work demanded that I take time from my sabbatical to take care of necessities I was able to work from the screened porch and enjoy watching the shrimp boats pass. The views at sunrise and sunset are spectacular and a cup of coffee or other beverage enjoyed while taking in this beautiful area are truly soothing to the soul. I enjoyed walking everywhere and while some of the restaurants and shopping are easy walking distance for the able bodied, those that might not be able or might prefer not to walk can request information regarding golf cart rental when you make your reservation. The staff was helpful, efficient and courteous. I honestly cannot say enough good about Nedra. She welcomes with a smile and information or a glass of wine upon arrival should you desire either. Nedra, I want you to know you made my stay there honoring my mothers memory very special. You are a delight and a saint upon this earth.

I look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RocknRockmartian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed here one night while passing through Apalachicola. All the reviews are correct, this place is really nice and quiet. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. We had dinner at Up the Creek Raw Bar which you can walk to from the hotel. I can't wait to go back for a long weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wakesnow27
Lynn Haven, Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We are NW Florida natives and we have been visiting Apalach for R & R since the early 1980's. We have stayed at Water Street the past several visits. We try to visit at least twice a year. It's a perfect getaway for all. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and the kitchen is awesome. Nadra and staff makes you feel right at home. Apalachicola is the place to be.... we will be back soon!

PS: Make sure you check out St George Island State Park....on of our favorite beaches!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CostaRica082310
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We were staying at the hotels docks and my shipmate got sick. He went to the office and rented a suite. The suite turned out to have two seperate sleeping rooms, each had a very nice bath with shower.

There was also a large living room with its own wireless router for Internet. And a bar with stools, separating the kitchen from the living room. It had a full sized refrigerator, stove. Microwave and dishwasher.

The following was partially pecky cypress and they were beautiful.

Both the living room and my room had walk out balconies overlooking the marsh. Both were screened to protect from mosquitoes.

The docks are floating docks which are rare along the waterway but well appreciated. It cost about $1.45 per foot per night.

The suite was as clean as they get. Very good from that as well as overall appearance.

Good seafood is available at Up The Creek bar and restaurant about five minutes walk from the hotel.

The only negatives were the night desk clerk that gave me wrong and then inadequate directions on how to get to the facility by water. Also the facilities for boaters are very limited. Only one shower room to serve male and female boaters. It was also the only bathroom. So plan ahead because there might be a wait.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Point23
DeRidder, Louisiana
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Nedra gave us a warm welcome as we entered the lobby. She happened to have our reservation in front of her as she was getting our keys ready for when we arrived. Being a local she gave us excellent recommendations on places to eat. The rooms are very nice, clean and spacious. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the screened-in porch and watching and listening to the wildlife...very peaceful. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krispin b
Easton, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2013

OMG, what other hotel has a full & modern kitchen, two bathrooms, washer&dryer, screened porch with the most magnificent view EVER, AND quality bedding ! (And I grew up in a river view home) The staff is AS amazing as all of the room amenities-and all of the locals are inviting as well. I felt like I was walking into a dream and/or a featured article from a travel magazine when I found this place 3 yrs ago. I have stayed here every time I'm in town and have tried rooms on each of the three floors. They are all different, yet equally amazing. I almost hesitate to share this secret on Tripadvisor as I'm afraid I might call one day and Water Street will have "a no vacancy".... I'll be devastated! Wish I could travel there every month from MARYLAND!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzanne J
Germantown, TN
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We had high hopes for this hotel, stopping in unannounced (but booked) to scout it for a legal retreat in the fall, on the way back from South Florida. The hotel is beautiful and is in a very good location. The lady who booked it, Nedra, was just a very sweet lady and we were quite happy with the AAA rate of $169.00 for a suite with bunk beds for the children.

The issues with it and how those issues were handled, were bizarre, incredulous and killed it as a contender for the conference. A) The water pressure was so low it would not fill a bath in under 30 minutes (We took video). B) The pipes rattled so bad we were concerned it would disturb the neighbors and you could not run the bath (We took video). C) The water temperature was probably very close to body temperature and would not support a bath D) When we checked in after hours, there did not appear to be sheets on the bunk beds and we looked all over for the sheets to make up the beds. There were none and we looked in the hotel booklet, but there is no information in the room where there are sheets. When you pull the coverlets back from the beds, the elastic catches anything underneath, so for all practical purposes, customers don't see them. They are under a non-standard mattress cover we discovered the next day from the desk clerk. E) There is no notation anywhere in the room for an after-hours number, and for customer purposes, it would appear that the hotel front desk is closed after hours so we were unable to call about sheets. We discovered later that they do have a person on duty after hours, but it is not posted in the room or outside the rooms F) The coffee maker button stuck and dispensed four cups of coffee on the floor. These were significant problems - but the most significant problem was the management. The desk worker became angry when I professionally brought those issues to her attention, and she refused to refund the difference between a king room and the king/bunk which we thought was fair. $30.00 difference. More importantly, there was no manager on duty and the desk clerk refused to "bother her manager on her days off", meaning customers who happen to come on the manager's days off will not have customer service. The front desk person blamed the City of Apalachicola for the water temperature and pressure issues; accused us of "breaking the coffee maker in order to get a free stay", and told us we should have known where to find the sheets. Our debit card was also charged a mysterious fee that was later designated as pet fee, when no pet stayed in the room. We notified Visa, and the hotel refunded the charge.

Written response from the manager said, in part, "If any of your concerns had warranted a discount, I would have given (front desk clerk) the authority to grant you a discount. .....I am not sure you understand there was nothing the hotel did wrong.....We have had no similar complaints concerning our coffee makers; however, any appliance may break or malfunction at any given moment. .......While you claim the Hotel may lose $150,000.00 in revenue from your conference, we are a small 30-room hotel in a poor rural community and it would be doubtful that your conference would generate that kind of revenue for this hotel.

Until that point, we felt like other customers might have a better experience, but that email was exceptionally problematic.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Eaglemate
WSHM, Manager at Water Street Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
This response addresses the review titled “Bizarre and Unsatisfactory Stay Here”. Since many Guests depend upon Trip Advisor reviews to make decisions concerning travel plans, I am compelled to provide our side of this “bizarre” event and let you, the reader, form your own conclusion. Normal business practices for those who organize corporate conferences would be for the individual to call the hotel and speak with the staff member, make arrangements for a meeting, and then tour the property, rooms, conference rooms, reception areas, etc. In this case, this Guest telephoned and “booked” a suite for her family to spend the night on a Sunday evening at approximately 7:30 pm and arrived later that same evening.
When booking the room, the Guest communicated to the staff member that she was passing through town with her family. The staff member took her information and placed her in a suite with a king-size bed in one bedroom and bunk beds in another bedroom to fit her family needs. The regular rate for that night was $179.00 plus tax for double occupancy. We charge $10.00 per night plus tax for each additional person. The staff member provided an AAA discount of $10.00 and did not charge the additional fee for the Guest’s children.
The guest was going to arrive late after lobby hours and was informed of the following: the location of the room key, notification of the availability of our on-call manager for potential additional assistance, the phone number which is also posted on the lobby windows on both sides of the lobby doors, and the location of an outdoor land-line for those whose cell phones do not have service in our area. This staff member, who has been with the hotel since we opened in 2007, strives to ensure our guests’ needs are met even after the lobby is closed and is accurate and well experienced in communicating after hour procedures. Additionally, the manual in the suite to which the guest referred also contains instructions concerning calling the hotel number to receive help after our lobby hours.
The next morning, another staff member was on duty. The Guest demanded an additional discount because of the alleged problems. This staff member explained the existing price breaks, which were no additional charge for the guest’s children and the applied AAA discount. The staff member tried to explain that although the suite is large, it is priced for two people. The Guest was abrupt and rude to our staff member to such a degree that another Guest in the lobby intervened. The only mention of a conference was after the staff member explained that no additional discounts would be given for her stay. The guest then attempted to use this conference as leverage to receive additional discounts. Our staff member felt intimidated and threatened to the point of tears. I must say after working over 22 years in the hospitality industry, I have never encountered this type of behavior from a customer.
After the departure, this Guest emailed our corporate office with the subject matter of “Issue at the Water Street Inn”. Later in the afternoon, the Guest emailed one of the Hotel’s original and former developers with the subject matter “Extreme issue at the Water Street Inn”. This Guest also contacted our local Chamber of Commerce, filed a complaint with The Better Business Bureau, and posted this negative Trip Advisor in order to achieve her goal of obtaining additional discounts. I believe our other guests’ Trip Advisor reviews demonstrate our commitment to quality service and guest accommodation in beautiful Apalachicola, Florida. Thank you for your consideration and attention to this review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apalachicola
Gibson Inn
Coombs House Inn
Coombs House Inn
#1 of 3 in Apalachicola
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews

Been to Water Street Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!