“Great rooms and location. Disappointing beach service”

One Ocean Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Tallahassee, Florida
“Great rooms and location. Disappointing beach service”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Overall we had a great stay. We chose an oceanfront room with a balcony for the 4th of July holiday and were pleased with the choice. It was well worth the extra money for that beautiful view. All in all we had a very relaxing trip. I was, however, terribly disappointed with the entire beach setup. First, as mentioned in other reviews, there is a charge each chair and umbrella which makes that lack of service even more disappointing. For some reason, they don't set up the chairs ahead of time as I am used to seeing at other resorts; they wait for you to come down then drag the chairs out individually and set them up. This means that anybody from around town can come and post up taking the prime beach real estate. It also means that you sit there and wait while they are either helping those ahead of you or setting up your chairs (on the worst day I waited 20 minutes and there was only on group being set up ahead of me). They don't offer any type of beach service (drinks, adjusting umbrellas and chairs, etc.); once they drag your chairs out to the beach you are on your own. At one point I had asked for a couple of towels and was instructed to walk myself up to the pool house to get them. For the price of the rooms and an establishment that boasts excellent service I found this all odd. In addition to that, it seemed that they rent umbrellas and chairs to non-hotel guests as I was asked whether I was a guest of the hotel or would be paying cash. This was frustrating because we were unable to get an umbrella one of the days. If I return I will bring my own chairs, umbrella, and a cooler and will be much happier. Other than the beach the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Splurge for the oceanfront room with a balcony!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ghoney920
Sileshi_M, General Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your review of One Ocean Resort & Spa, ghoney920. We love our oceanfront views with stunning sights of our private, white sand beach. We sincerely apologize for the lack of attentive service you experienced. This is unacceptable by One Ocean standards and I will immediately look to see where the breakdown in communication occurred. We are glad to hear you staff could accommodate and make for a pleasant stay otherwise. Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention so we may work to remedy this immediately. We hope to have another chance to impress you the next time you are in Atlantic Beach!

Sileshi Mengiste

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was looking for a place on the ocean near Jacksonville for a short family vacation and got a recommendation for One Ocean. I was a bit hesitant because of the $$$$ (including valet and resort fees). None-the-less, I decided to indulge because it was a short stay and wanted something nice for the family.

Once we got there, I upgraded to an ocean front room! The lobby areas was clean bright and smelled fresh. The room was well prepared and smelled fresh. No musty, moldy odors - from ocean spray, salt air etc.

We all had a great time. The family really enjoyed the docent services - Never ending supply of water/soda for the refrigerator and snacks. I enjoyed the room service coffee (very flavorful) delivered promptly at 7:30 a.m. I also enjoyed sitting at nights on the balcony and listening to the waves breaking on the shore. The sliding glass door was a bit heavy because it was impact resistant but it slid very easily. I could hardly believe the H2O Sea Marine shampoo. Valet service was fast. Many family restaurants within walking distance (2-3 blocks) of the hotel.

My only complaint was the additional charges for beach umbrella and chair! I though that it would have been included in the Resort Fee. Never-the-less, I would go back.

Room Tip: I loved the ocean front room - worth the extra cost.
1 Thank SometimeTraveller305
Sileshi_M, General Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review One Ocean Resort & Spa. We are so glad you enjoyed our spacious guest bedroom with beautiful waterfront views and interiors that reflect the surrounding soothing ambiance. We are so glad your family could enjoy our luxury amenities and personable customer service that makes for a most memorable stay. We do hope you will be joining us again the next time you are in Jacksonville, when perhaps your family may try our signature restaurant, Azurea!

SIleshi Mengiste
Province of Pisa, Italy
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have never been to a hotel with so much great service! I am still shocked by it. From the moment we got out the car, they already checked us into our room! They took our keys and parked it for us, then guided us to our room. They have numerous little things that simply make the stay better! I loved this place personally. Coming from a hotel in Alabama a couple months back that had bed bugs to this one was truly a life saver. We hated hotels after that stay, but we were glad to know One Ocean hotel had saved our views of hotels! Seriously, great stay! Also, ITS CONNECTED TO THE BEACH ALSO! Simply amazing!

Room Tip: Get a Beachfront Room!
1 Thank Otis S
Otis S., thank you for taking the time to review One Ocean Resort & Spa. Our team here at One Ocean strives to provide optimal guest service to make for a memorable stay and we are so glad we could leave a lasting impression on you. We too love our location right among the beach, perfect for a summer getaway. We very much look forward to your next stay with us the next time you are in Jacksonville, Otis S!

Hicksville, New York
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My sister and I took a girls' trip here from June 19-24th. We wanted an easy beach vacation and I found One Ocean through internet research.

The hotel was a quick ~35 minute ride from the airport. We booked an airport transfer through the hotel and were picked up by Richard, a wonderful gentleman who was a local and took such pride in the Atlantic Beach area, pointing out sights and stores along the way. Seamless check-in meant we pulled up, were handed room keys, and the luggage followed us up to our standard room. We stayed in the standard room for two nights then upgraded to a balcony room for the last three nights. Both rooms had large mini-fridges stocked with water and soda as well as a stocked snack drawer. Every day, someone knocked on our door asking if we needed anything replenished. Each room has a lighted doorbell and buttons in the room that say Private or Make Up Room. Private turns the doorbell red and it will not ring if pressed. Make Up Room turns it blue so they know to clean. If you push the buttons again, the doorbell has no light. Very nice feature. One day we had the Private on all day and housekeeping called in the evening to ask if we wanted the room made up. The One Touch button on the phone connected us to the docent service, which took care of all of our requests and questions promptly.

The setting of the hotel makes it super easy to go from the pool to the beach and back. There is literally no effort to go to the beach. Grab two towels, some water, and your room key. We did not reserve umbrella chairs through the hotel. I read that they charge $17 for a half or $34 for a full day. We literally just put our towels down next to the chairs. When we got too hot, we went in the ocean or back to the pool area, which is completely shaded by about 3pm.

We also got facials at the spa which were excellent. There is a nice little Jacuzzi inside the ladies' locker room so we availed ourselves of that prior to our facials. The waiting room facing the ocean is very relaxing. We could have laid there in our robes all day with our complimentary mimosas.

We did not rent a car. It isn't necessary. Within walking distance are about a dozen restaurants and bars, Walgreens, 7-11, CVS, Chase ATM, and multiple other stores. We stocked our room with wine from Walgreens constantly. On the way to the hotel, our driver Richard stopped at Publix so we could pick up a couple of things (including cream cheese and butter for the bagels I brought from NY :).

Room service was good but expensive - 22% gratuity + $4 delivery charge + 7% tax. Adds up quickly if you're just ordering coffee.

In other unfortunate news, my sister experienced a medical emergency during the night while we were guests at the hotel and she needed to go to the emergency room briefly. The front desk had a cab for us in about 5 minutes and the closest hospital was only 10 minutes away (Baptist Medical Center-Beaches). They also provided excellent and friendly care. I hope no one else needs it, but good to know. The front desk arranged for a cab back to the hotel and called to ensure we returned. They also did not charge for the spa appointment we ended up cancelling last minute, which is just a classy thing to do.

My sister and I decided rapidly that we need to come back here again with both our families. The service was absolutely excellent, always a smile and hello, the staff recognized us, and everyone from the front desk to housekeeping, One Touch, spa, pool, and room service ensured an exceptional experience and were very responsive.

I only have two suggestions for the hotel because I know they read and respond to their reviews (also classy):

1. For some reason, the included ("free") docent coffee service ends at 10:30am, but the room service breakfast menu ends at 11am. We slept in the first day and ordered coffee at 10:40am but it had to be ordered, for however much plus the gratuity, tax, and delivery fee, from the room service menu. Shouldn't these two services coincide?

2. Every time we were waiting for the elevators, there was an employee patiently and courteously waiting for space on an elevator with a room service cart, luggage, or some other large item that was being transported to a room. They could do their job more efficiently and guests could receive their items more quickly if there was a service elevator. It was absolutely no bother as a guest, and a few times they insisted we go on first but they were clearly with a family carrying their luggage so we insisted they go and we'd get the next one. Just a thought, I know it's very difficult to retrofit an elevator.

We can't wait to bring our families to One Ocean. What a fabulous place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sileshi_M, General Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you, mandor58, for your review of One Ocean Resort & Spa. We are so glad you and the girls could enjoy our beautiful waterfront location with a stunning private beach and luxury amenities. Customer service is among our top priorities and we are so glad we could leave a lasting impression. We too love our location moments from the water and within walking distance of premier shopping, dining and entertainment. We look forward to the next time you stay with us and perhaps try our signature restaurant, Azurea.

Seagrove Beach, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Best staff ever. Love this hotel? The staff was the most pleasant and responsive of any I have experienced. Highly recommend this hotel. I only wish other hotels had such high standards. Don't miss the experience of staying at One Ocean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rusty P
Sileshi_M, General Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Rusty P., thank you for your review of One Ocean Resort and Spa. We strive to provide optimal guest services and we are so glad we could accommodate for your stay. We thank you for choosing us and we do look forward to your next visit, Rusty, when perhaps we can make an even more memorable experience than your last!
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I were on our road trip from Central Florida making our way to North Carolina wedding. What a beautiful surprise! Oceanfront view, accommodations were perfect. The concierge even visited our room to make sure our stay was enjoyable. I did not get a chance to use the spa however next time. The staff were wonderful and everything was so close to the hotel.. Huge was off the day when we arrived however heard he makes some of the best martinis. Nevertheless, there is a martini bar right across the street. Love the area!

Room Tip: Oceanfront corner unit! Gorgeous!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you, Laurie V., for your review of One Ocean Resort and Spa. We are so glad we coul make a lasting first impression on your with our stunning oceanfront views and luxury accommodations! We are so glad you were able to enjoy the dining and entertainment within walking distance of our hotel. We do hope you come visit us again and have a chance to check out our spa treatments.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Made reservations for 10:30, got there early and had to wait.
Finally seated and pointed out that the bench was still dirty, never cleaned it.
Slow service and high $ for nothing special.
Refills of water were slow and far between.
Saw lot of dirty tables and the bus boy would only clean half way and the hostesses would have to finish to seat customers.
Slow to get our check.
Men's Restroom smelled of urine and little soap, needed a good cleaning.
Very disappointed for what I thought would be a high end experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gordy0614
Sileshi_M, General Manager at One Ocean Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Gordy0614, thank you for sharing your experience at One Ocean Resort and Spa. We sincerely apologize for your experience at Azurea Restaurant. We would never want anybody to experience sub-par service at our dining establishment and I will look into seeing where the breakdown in service occurred to remedy these issues for future guests. Again, thank you for your invaluable feedback and we do hope you give us another chance to impress you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/Oceanfront
Hampton Inn Jacksonville Beach/O...
#3 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonvil...
#5 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonville Beachfront
Four Points by Sheraton Jacksonv...
#2 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Best Western Oceanfront
Best Western Oceanfront
#4 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte Vedra Beach-Mayo Clinic Area
Hampton Inn Jacksonville/Ponte V...
#1 of 9 in Jacksonville Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedra Beach
The Lodge and Club at Ponte Vedr...
#3 of 4 in Ponte Vedra Beach

Been to One Ocean Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!