We first visited this property during its first few weeks of opening, and it quickly became a favorite regular getaway spot. I can't say enough good things about it. Yes it's expensive, but where else can you get your own private luxury cabin, or a cottage with several different adjoining private accommodations and a wonderful, comfortable, cozy and luxurious common room? This is a fabulous spot for a romantic couple's getaway, or for a group of couples. This is not your typical resort - it is designed to give the feel of a small, intimate village wherein you have your own personal and private "home."
The golf is great (very hilly and quite challenging), the property is gorgeous and the staff will bend over backwards to make you happy. For example, my girlfriends and I were relaxing in the pool while the guys played golf and we decided we wanted margaritas. At the time (this was back in the resort's early days) they didn't offer drinks at the pool. The spa staff contacted the restaurant, and one of the chefs actually went home, got his blender, made us drinks and had them delivered to us at the pool. We also had some strange "comfort" requests during some of our visits (sorry, I can't remember exactly what they were now), but they made it happen! No matter what you want, they will ensure your every desire is satisfied.
There's nothing like sitting on your private porch sipping a glass of wine in the evening as you watch the sunset and all the birds, or welcoming a new day with a cup of coffee or hot tea in your rocking chair in the fresh air. And I challenge you to find a more gorgeous place to view fall's splendor. Every cottage has its own fireplace, and is stocked with interesting reading selections and board games. Each cottage also features a large claw-footed tub (my personal favorite part!!) as well as a spacious shower for those of you who aren't "tub-dwellers."
The spa is nice (although I must admit it's not the best we've ever been to). This is a small, intimate property so I don't think they adequately anticipated the demand for spa services, and given its remote location there may be a challenge finding qualified staff. Again, it's been a while since we've been there, so I expect they have resolved this issue. The best part of the spa is the whirlpool, which has an expansive view of the golf course. When you're relaxing in that room you KNOW you're in paradise.
The dining is good, but has been disappointing at times. At the Woodlands Grill you can sit outside and enjoy the beauty of the golf course. It's my favorite place to have breakfast. The Rice House Restaurant is good, but can present challenges for a vegetarian. If you give them enough advance notice they can (try to) work with you. The Beer Garden is lots of fun. There's nothing like hanging around with the other guests, drinking interesting beers, and listening to the occasional small ensemble complete with tubas! The fire pit also adds a neat touch, depending on the season of course.
There is not much to do outside the property, but you really don't need to leave. There is some fascinating history here, and I highly recommend taking the tours they offer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 60 miles north of Atlanta, Barnsley Resort welcomes guests into a storybook setting enhanced by genuine Southern hospitality. Encompassing 3,300 acres, the historic Barnsley Gardens offers a unique experience. Accommodations at Barnsley Resort are located within 36 unique guest cottages inspired by the architecture of Andrew Jackson Downing. There are 90 guest rooms and suites, or you may also reserve an entire cottage. Whether looking for a relaxing getaway weekend, strategic meeting or an elegant wedding, guests will discover a retreat of privacy and perfection. Amenities include regionally inspired dining, a boutique spa, and exciting recreational choices such as world-class golf,horseback riding, hiking, biking, paintball, tennis, barnyard visits and more. SpringBank Sporting Club offers a 26 station sporting clays course and upland bird hunting at SpringBank Plantation. Guests may also visit the iconic 19th century manor house ruins and historic gardens of the original Barnsley home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Odigeo so you can book your Barnsley Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barnsley Gardens Hotel Adairsville
- Barnsley Gardens Adairsville
- Barnsley Gardens Resort