“Delightful Accomodations”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Adairsville
Hilton Head Island, SC
“Delightful Accomodations”
Reviewed 25 August 2008

My wife and I stayed 3 nights- 4 days as a get-away. This resort has enormous potential...but just potential at this point. We had a lovely cottage and extremely comfortable. However, the staff is not properly trained although they try. It is very apparent they lack effective management. We tried several times to have trash picked up from our deck, but in three days no one came as promised.

Regrettably, the dining although in a wonderful environment, was very disappointing. Food quality was fair. Wine offerings were good.
We ate in the "ruins", a marvelous location offering a quaint personal setting with a fireplace. The setting was delightful with a very attentive, albeit somewhat inexperienced, waiter. The Food and Beverage manager was supposed to light a fire in the fireplace as part of the "ambience" offered with dinner. He showed up once, the fire never did take, and he never came back.

It may be the resort caters more to golfers (nice golf course) and in fact seems to have a membership component to the golf club.

Regrettably, guests will be disappointed, unless there to play golf and not concerned about staff service and fine dining,
All this said, it's a great environment wih fabulous potential. First improvement would be a good chef. We really hope the owners take advantage of this very lovely place and bring the resort to the standards it deserves.

• Liked — cottages were very nice and comfortable with fireplace
  • Disliked — food quality and inexperienced staff.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank islandliving063

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2008

My partner took me here for my 43rd birthday and we had a great, relaxing time. they have a huge salt pool, spa,beer garden with great german and domestic beers,horseback riding, golf, vast gardens to walk through, two restaurants ruins of the barnsley mansion . this is a must stay the staff were very accomodating and friendly, the resort was very clean, (grounds and rooms). We will definitley stay here again. cudos to Barnsley Gardens
Glenn and Nick

Georgia
Reviewed 17 March 2008

Barnsley is all hype with very little that lives up to all the talk. The employees are all abunch of redneck highschool drop outs who do not know a single thing about customer service. The check-in lady (Satine?) was incredibly RUDE about our bill which we were overcharged for and she refused to even look at it! We had to wait PAST check in time for housekeeping to even get to our room so that we could check in! The cottages run out of hot water, we were told that they share hot water heaters which is why we kept running out. I asked to see the front office manager and he did not show up for about an hour, unacceptable!!! When he finally did, he was beet red and obviously had no idea what he was doing. Overall, our stay was miserable in a moldy, cold, old cottage with horrible service. My advice would be to save your money, because Barnsley is not worth the trouble! Try BLACKBERRY FARM instead. Service is impeccible and rooms are clean and beautiful. Staff are educated and trained. DO NO expect the same from Barnsley!!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — hard to say, so much of it was awful!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank travel_luver07
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 11 March 2008

My wife and I had a gift certificate for a 2 night stay in a garden cottage. It was nice to get away for my birthday (March 5th). The garden cottage itself was old (you could visibly see the wear-and-tear). The bathroom needed re-caulking, the shower tiles were moldy/mildew and the hot water only worked for about an hour before everything went cold. I reported these problems to the management group, but they said they were updating their water heaters in the near future. Make sure when you go to ask for the cottages in the back of the property since these are newer than the ones up front! The restaurant, Woodlands, was great for my birthday, but the first night we had a horrible waiter who had an attitude since we did not order any alcoholic beverages (we brought our own). The second night they gave us an upgrade in champagne ($150 bottle for $62) and a free mini 4" birthday cake to make up for the night before. All-in-all it was a nice vacation, but it is not worth the $300 a night before taxes and excluding meals (another $100 or so a day for two people). They do a nice picnic basket for lunch which was great and the free lexus demos (SC 430 convertible) was nice as well to test drive all day long (all of it is free, even the gas).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cosmetic and Mechanical Problems with the Cottage Itself, Very Expensive!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jhw82
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 November 2007

For our 30th anniversary, my husband surprised me with a weekend to Barnsley Gardens Resort. He couldn't have chosen a better place for a romantic weekend getaway. The accommodations were clean, charming, and cozy. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food at both Woodlands Grill and Rice House was very good. Not being a spa person, my husband had arranged a trail ride for me. The guide was Bernie (and his faithful Australian Cattle Dog, Sunny) and my horse was the very well behaved Annie. The ride was perfect. I have ridden trail rides in many places and will say that this was one of the most pleasant rides that I have ever been on. The hiking here consists of easy strolls through the woods, along some waterways, and along the golf course. Throughout the property guests can find seating and picnic tables providing comfortable places to sit and soak up the natural beauty and peace of this resort.

I would recommend Barnsley Gardens Resort for romantic weekends, business functions and family reunions.

• Liked — Cottages, not hotel rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank weeter
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Had a work retreat over the weekend, 5 couples. Well appointed for this type of thing. Something to do for everyone (short term).

The good:
The spa is small and I had low expectations; however, I've had my fair share of treatments all over the world and had the best facial ever with Sherri Shelley. My friend had a hot stone massage and also said it was the best she's ever had. Highly recommend the spa.

Food at Woodlands Grill. I definitely recommend this restaurant before Rice House. Try the fried green beans!

The rooms. Our room 1810 had bedroom, living room, separate toilet, bathroom (clawfoot tub and shower) and front and back porch. Lots of space for the price. Bed was SUPER comfortable. Like the Thymes products too.

The bad:
Service was disapointing in the restaurants and horrible in the Beer Garden and we had to complain. I think there were trying, perhaps just lack of training or short staffed. Still, you are paying resort prices you have high expectations. Room for improvement here.

No TV in the bedroom (only in LR) which was a minor inconvenience. Just love to watch TV in bed on vacation!

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank Tagalong71
Atlanta
Reviewed 14 August 2007

My 18-year-old daughter and I recently spent a Sunday night at Barnsley, courtesy of my sweet husband! We arrived at the property around 2:45pm though check-in wasn't until 3:00. Our room wasn't ready yet, but the concierge brought us complimentary glasses of chilled sparkling wine to enjoy while we waited. We got to our cottage around 3:15, and everything was very pretty and very quiet. We then walked over to the spa for a 4pm massage appointment - the spa is beautifully appointed, and the staff are very friendly and welcoming. We were told that, after our massages, we would have use of the spa's whirlpool, steam, sauna, and showers during the rest of our stay. However, while we were enjoying the whirlpool, a staff member came in to tell us that they were closing the facility for the day - it was only 5pm! That was disappointing. So, we got our things out of our lockers and decided to go sit by the pool. That, too, seemed to be closing for the day. I'm not sure if it's a Sunday thing, but the website and materials in our room stated that both the spa and pool were open much later - a little disappointing. When we returned to our room, we noticed that we only had one bathrobe, but housekeeping brought us another one plus extra towels very quickly. Room service dinner was delicious - served hot and well-presented. The bed was outfitted with very soft linens and down comforter. The shower pressure was a bit low but sufficient.

I would definitely return here with my husband when the weather is more conducive to outdoor activities - it was too hot to take advantage of all the property offers in mid-August! I'm looking forward to my next stay!

• Liked — Very spacious and comfortable
  • Disliked — Early checkout and early spa closing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank FitMomma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adairsville
Hampton Inn & Suites Adairsville
Quality Inn
#3 of 5 in Adairsville
Hampton Inn & Suites Rome
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rome

Been to Barnsley Resort? Share your experiences!