“Loved the comfort and hospitality”
Review of Merry Acres Inn

Merry Acres Inn
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I was there one night and was very impressed. My room was quiet and clean. I had a microwave and fridge. They provide a complimentary breakfast and shuttle to the airport. The staff was very professional, attentive and informative. I enjoyed my evening there.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I was very pleased with my four-day business stay at this "motel". The hospitality is genuine and welcoming. The rooms are old-school motel-style rooms, however being recently renovated, they are cozy and comfortable, complete with micorowave and fridge, flat screen TVs, etc. The reception office is the old farmhouse and has been renovated and includes a cozy bar area/reception area, and front porch seating; a great place to close out the day with a cocktail and hot sandwich. Complimentary breakfasts provide options from hearty to healthy and are served tableside in the adjacent on-location restaurant. The shuttle they provide makes for extremely convenient trips to the airport and their three off-site restaurants (which are each unique and very good, by the way)... The outdoor pool and bath house has lots of character and gives a retro feel to the motel/motor lodges of times past. There are some newspaper articles framed on the walls that tell the story of the current small-business owner's vision for this neat little place (if you're like me and prefer to support local small business owners over large corporate chains).

Big-name hotel alternatives exist downtown Albany, however your own research may show that you are safer staying on the Merry Acres side of town... especially after dark. Be aware of Albany's not-so-nice neighborhoods and their proximity to where you stay.

Room Tip: So as to manage expectations, remember, they are all "motel rooms". Renovated, clean and...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank CarlSalad
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This place used to be AWESOME! The staff, the grounds, the layout, etc. Something has happened. Dont get me wrong, the renovations are great. I didn't think the old rooms were bad, however, we always requested our favorite room.

It's still a nice place with the same staff, but not sure if they are unsure of themselves with the new mgmt or what is going on with them. It's not the same. Last time I went which was Christmas Eve 2011, there was a big issue with us paying by cash. (we had just rec'd a large sum of cash as gift and since we use a local community bank, couldn't deposit), we had to go get change for a 100 dollar bill before we could check in. Finally getting into our room, I snagged my arm on a nail jetting out of the frame of the doorway. In a newly renovated room! They did not change the frames or baseboards when renovating. Most wouldn't notice, but since we're regulars, we did. The maint guy promptly came to beat the nail in and found another lower down. No offers of anything from lady at front desk, short of a bandaid. I wasn't worried as I had just had a tetanus shot, still you would expect them to offer a DR or whatever. And this lady would I believe under previous owners. When my father was dying a few years ago, and we'd be there for weeks at a time, she upgraded our room at no charge and was very k ind.

The renovation is great, but the double (almost) in price is not worth it, imo. After 15 yrs of several trips a year to this place, I don't think we'll return. It's sad, because I really did love it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the "U" have the biggest BA. Room 120 has a large bath for a standard room. 1...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank T B
Reviewed 15 June 2012

When I first arrived I was like wth is this a run down motel... But to my surprise it was very nice minus the extremely small bathrooms that need renovations because of poor air circulation in the bathroom. Staff was extremely friendly and and shuttle to the restaurant was good as well. Really enjoyed my stay there for my graduation....

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank db902
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Dated but Very Clean... With a total update, could be outstanding~! Everyone was super and it IS a Clean location just Not up to date BUT comfortable...

Room Tip: All I saw looked the same
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2012

When I called to book our room, I was informed that the rooms had all been remodeled. The people who do your check in are a great assest to this Hotel. We got out room card, and opened our door and we were impressed........until I got to the bathroom........boy do they need to work on these bathrooms. First thing I noticed was a shower cap that was wet in the tub and a half used bottle of shampoo in the soap holder in the bathtub, then I found used cups, and other things sitting around the room that were not ours as we had just checked in. When I went to brush my teeth, I found an opened soap lying on the sink..........the others were in boxes along with shampoo, conditioner, and hand lotion. I also noticed that the bathroom floor was dirty and under the sink was 'left over trash'. The room had not been vaccumed in shape form or fashion. We took all the things we had found, ( we shower cap, opened plastic cups laying beside TV, used bar of soap, etc. to the front desk and they appologized. They asked what time we would be leaving to go to wedding and said when we left they would make sure room was clean when we got back. We got back to room at 1 A.M. and NOTHING had been cleaned and I was afraid to turn down the bed afraid that it had not been changed, but being so tired, I decided I didn't care anymore. The free breakfast was good, but I think next time we will stay at the Comfort Inn next door.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I have stayed here many times and always liked the "Welcome To South Georgia" reception. Now I returned after several months. New ownership and fantastic renovation completed. Same southern hospitality, welcome home attitude. Wonderful HEAVENLY beds, new hardwood floors, delightful complimentary breakfast buffet. Rates are great and you do not have to mortgage the farm to afford a stay here. Beautiful pool, adequate supply of ice. If you go to dinner and have to much to drink, they will send a car to bring you home. I love Merry Acres !

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve a room close to the pool
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family