“Can't Recommend It” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Alpharetta
Dallas, Texas
“Can't Recommend It”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

On a recent trip to Alpharetta my family decided to try the Holiday Inn Express (formerly the Sierra) since my usual hotel had no rooms available. The hotel is undergoing renovation and our room was directly under a floor being renovated so we heard almost constant hammering while we were there. In the morning we were surprised at the number of construction workers who decided to stop in and help themselves to as much of the breakfast items as they wanted. By the time they were finished all that was left for us was scrambled eggs and tater tots. Yes, tater tots. I also found the staff to be friendly but unfamiliar with Holiday Inn Express policies. The property may improve after the renovation is completed but, at this point, I wouldn't want to stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the construction as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations during our complete property renovation. We do hope you will return in the near future to see the finished product as we know you will enjoy all of the great changes we made. We appreciate you and your business and want to invite you back to have a exceptional stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Nassau, New Providence Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Not sure if my last post was made, so I'll do a short one post. Hotel was not the best as Hotel Sierra, but I'd be excited to see what the new Holiday Inn Express would have to offer. Stayed in the room for a week....staff was the best asset.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your second post about your December 2013 stay. We are now the Holiday Inn Express & Suites so we hope to see you in the near future.
Nassau, New Providence Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed in this hotel for a week during the Christmas of 2013, this was during renovations and was called Hotel Sierra. Honestly, when we walked in, we were not the happiest of campers, in fact my husband's complaints almost drove me to find us a new hotel for our trip. The hotel room did not look like its photos online, the bed looked like someone had laid in it prior to our arrival and there were bugs on the the night stand (photos attached) and the night stands on either side of the bed didn't even match (one brown, one tan). The bathroom is incredibly small, as if it were a last thought in designing the room...so small the door could barely close due to the toilet. The air condition was huge and noisy but we managed. I called down stairs for a few extra pillows and after waiting an hour I called the front desk repeatedly and got no response. When someone finally answered the phone he said he'd be right up and was taking so long because he was the only person there (one staff member in the hotel?). When the pillows arrived they had no pillow cases on them and I was given the pillow cases separately to apply myself (well this is different I thought to myself), but he was still very pleasant. The hallways felt very grim and stuffy and there was a used towel behind the bathroom door that the housekeeper must have missed.

Anyway, those were my 'cons' but here are my 'pros'.....after the first stay we settled in to the hotel and my first compliment is that the hotel staff were so very nice and helpful which is always great for a hotel. The beds were really comfy and the kitchen area includes a full size refrigerator and full stove which is great for long stays. The hotel WiFi was also pretty good, which is always a bonus for people that travel as much as we do.

I know that this hotel was currently undergoing renovation to be transformed into a Holiday Inn Express and Suites so I admire them for keeping the hotel opened and keeping on staff during this time. I would honestly like to see what the hotel is like after renovations because the staff members were so great and with nice accommodations I'm sure this hotel could receive more stars.

I would not tell people to not stay here because of my bad experience.... the location is great, the staff is awesome and renovations may have been all it needed. I think that our expectations were just a little high due to the photos online and accommodations that we're use to having. I hope to one day revisit this hotel and see the magic that Holiday Inn has created and write a new review.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review from your Dec 2013 stay. Your March post about your December stay comes with great news. We are now officially the Holiday Inn Express & Suites and know you will love the hotel as much as our team does. I am glad to hear our team met your expectations and when you return the same team will welcome you back. We appreciate your concerns. Thank you for your business. We hope to see you back soon.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very nice stay. Rooms are clean with plenty of room to stretch out. Nice sitting area and desk with Kitchen area. The check in was smooth with a friendly staff. Was some construction going on but didn't effect my stay. Breakfast buffet was ready to go at 6:00am and was actually very good. Enjoyed the staff and will return again for the great service!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert B
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear we met your expectations. We look forward to your return as we are now the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Thank you for your business.
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Room 508 in the Hotel Sierra at 2505 Cingular Way, Alpharetta, was lovely room to come "home" to each night of the 5 days I spent at a piano teachers' workshop at the Steinway Gallery on North Point Drive. The Hotel was accommodating in providing shuttle service to the Steinway Gallery on one occasion. The Breakfast buffet was ample & delicious. I had oatmeal porridge just like at my real home! The room itself was equipped with a "sitting room", an "office" with desk and wifi connection, a "kitchen" with microwave & fridge & a place setting for a small family, a good tv, a closet with iron & board, & bath & shower in which the towels were changed daily, and two double beds for the comfortable sleeping of four. We were only two in the room and enjoyed each other's company as we both attended the conference.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you for your time to post about your recent stay. We appreciate you and your business. We hope when your travels bring you back to Alpharetta we will be your only choice in hotels. We value our guest and look forward to your next visit.
Kennesaw, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Awesome hotel and even more Amazing staff!! I was recently caught in the snowstorm that shut down Atlanta. Paul, Kelly and Randy were amazing. They took the stress out of a very stressful situation. After being put on the waiting list (there were no rooms anywhere in the city) they took every measure to make sure as I began my stay with them (on the couch in the lobby) that I was ok. They made coffee and cookies and kept checking on everyone that was sheltering in their lobby. About 9pm Paul let me know they were working on something for me...They created a space for me in a conference room. They gave me a cot, pillows, locked the room so no one could come in, and kept checking on me. The next morning we were still stranded they offered me breakfast with their regular hotel guest, offered me a place to take a shower, and even said they would wash my clothes! By 3pm the second day I was able to get into an actual hotel room. The rooms are great! They were large and I really enjoyed the fridge and microwave since I was able to get to Wal-Mart for food and a change of clothes on day 2. Again, this staff was amazing. They were stuck at the hotel as well and their stress never showed. They did not turn anyone away. They just made it all work. I can never thank them enough for making me feel safe and treating me with such kindness! I would absolutely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy to hear our team made your unexpected stay comfortable. We do have a great staff who always goes above and beyond to ensure every guest and their needs are met. We hope to see you again in the near future, when the weather is much better and you are able to stay for a night or two. Our team would love to welcome you back! Thank you for taking time to post about your experience and our team. We appreciate you and your business!
Crossville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here one Saturday night and we were aware that the Hotel Sierra was transitioning into a Holiday Inn Express. Check-in went smoothly; we took their very quiet elevator to the 4th floor, which is totally non-smoking. Our room: the first section had a sofa, coffee table, small kitchenette with a small refrigerator, microwave and computer desk. Then there was a bathroom sink opposite the two queen beds with a magnifying mirror and Gilchrist & Soames body lotion & hand soap. The bathroom had a tiled tub with Gilchrist & Soames shampoo & body wash and the toilet in a separate room. There was an ironing board, iron, a hair dryer and a waffle weave bathrobe to use during your stay in the closet.

We had requested a king bed, but ended up with 2 queen beds. Since we had already unpacked, we decided to stay. I should have double checked at the front desk or noticed that it wasn't a king before we had settled into the room. Room was very clean with no smoke smell. The flat screen TV could turn toward the beds or the sofa area.

Their evening bistro (wine, beer & appetizers) is not available Friday through Sunday, but was only from Monday to Thursday.

Breakfast buffet had Starbucks coffee, scrambled eggs, home fries, cubed hot ham and a bowl of shredded cheese, one waffle maker, donuts, muffins, bagels, bread, apple & orange juice, yogurt, apples, cereals, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter & jelly. Breakfast buffet was very good - even though they had deleted the made-to-omelet station. The buffet was kept super neat by Michael - THANKS!

Our window faced the outdoor pool which was slightly frozen with embedded leaves. Behind the pool was a full dumpster and some new boxed items for the transition into the HI Express.
Our room was very quiet, even with the heat/air conditioning unit off. The ice machine on our floor was out-of-order.

I'm sure when they finalize the transition, everything will run very smoothly!

Room Tip: Sound-proofing was spectacular, so I would assume any room would be perfect. As I stated the whole 4...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michelle W, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Wow, thank you so much for your detailed review. We appreciate your time to let us and other travelers know about your stay and our great hotel features. As you mentioned, we are close to becoming a new Holiday Inn Express & Suites in the next few weeks. We can not wait to have you back in the near future to enjoy the new brand and all of the new offerings we will have available. Thank you so much for your business. We hope to see you soon.