“Good but not Great the Second time around”

Residence Inn Atlanta Alpharetta/Windward
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Alpharetta
Birmingham, Alabama
“Good but not Great the Second time around”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a get-away-weekend. It's been over a year since I stayed there and since I loved it the first go around I thought "Why not do it again". The hotel staff gets an A+++. Very polite & willing to help. My husband & I stayed in a corner suite, which I thought would be quiet and perfect. I knew the rooms had been remodeled so I wasn't worried about an out-dated old smelling hotel. Let's just say our room needed touched up again. The plaster had fallen off the ceiling in one spot. There were a couple of stains on the carpet (looked like red wine or red juice), and there were a few reddish stains on the bottom of the bathroom wall entrance. The problem is not with their renovations, the problem is keeping the hotel up to renovated standards after the renovations are done. Also, it was pretty crowded & a very loud family was right down the hall with screaming children. That part I guess Marriott couldn't help but I felt like I was more at an apartment complex than a hotel. All in all I would rate this stay B-/C+. Bathrooms are too cramped but overall having a den area, kitchen area, and bedroom area was great. Housekeeping did a good job (I didn't want to leave them out since so many times they get ignored). Might consider staying again, but will probably opt for a quieter location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Mu husband and I have stayed at this hotel several times in the last two months while relocating to the area. The rooms are updated, clean, and provide nice space for two people. The kitchenettes are very nice and provide everything you would need during your stay. Each room has a separate sitting room and bedroom with their own TV. The hotel staff is wonderful and very helpful. They have faxed several documents for me during our stays and have always been friendly. They have a nice breakfast each morning and appetizers/light dinner every evening with drinks, included in the price. The pool area is very nice and they have a small basketball court. Animals are allowed at this hotel for a small cleaning fee. They also have a shuttle and grocery service, but we have not used either of those services. My husband gets a discounted rate through his company and it makes this place really worth the price. As mentioned by another review, this place can get noisy with guests (especially children) in the outside areas. This was a minor problem for my husband and myself compared to all the benefits. The queen bed is also a downside, but again the benefits out way the need for a king bed. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A room on the second floor with a small balcony that overlooks the pool is nice if you do not mind p...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Skiatook, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I thought at first my stay at the residence inn was going to be great. Check in went smooth and the staff was friendly. It was raining so I had no idea how noisy this location would be over the next week. After I was in my room for about an hour I heard a loud noise like a diesel truck outside. It turned out to be a very noisy air conditioner unit outside the club house. The next day when I returned to my room the noise was just from the A/C unit became more apparent when I noticed you could see sunlight all around the door because it wasn’t sealing up well. That not only let in all the noise from the A/C units outside it let in all the noise from the 50 or so people at the pool and screaming and playing volleyball from 5 or 6pm until 10 or 11pm. I had to use a chair propped against the door to hold it shut to help cut down on some of the noise but it was still unbearable from the people outside screaming and hollering all evening.

The room itself was updated and very nice. The TV channel selection is great if you are from Asia or India. There are as many channels in foreign languages as there are American. I wasn’t impressed and the TVs were slow turning channels.
The bed was firm but tolerable. The pillows like most places were to soft and mashed flat. The cleaning folks were nice and did a great job.
I requested the door be looked at and some weather stripping was added but didn’t resolve the issue as the door plate needed to be moved but the screws were stripped. I had to prop a chair every time I was in the room against the door.
The reason I give this 2 stars if the room was clean and the evening staff were polite. I would never recommend this location to a business traveler that needs some peace and quiet or rest in the evenings. There are too many vacationers here and lots of other folks making noise.

Room Tip: Do not get a room that faces out toward the pool, volleyball court, meeting area. The noise in unre...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after driving across the country. The guy at the front desk was less than welcoming and that pretty much set the tone of the stay.

The room was impeccable. However they put us in the one of the furthest back and corner apartment - super tiny for a family of four. Make sure if you stay and have a heavy suitcase, you pay attention to where they say your room is. yes, we had heavy suitcase, we are moving across the country. We had to carry It up the stairs because we were nowhere near an elevator. (No suitcase rack either)

I have a bad back and the location of the room was very difficult the entire weekend.

When I went to buy a sprite from the market, the guy at the front desk was annoyed that I disturbed him from.his computer and I asked how I buy it, he told me and then walked back to whatever he was doing across on his computer. I knew what I wanted, I just had to pull it out. He made me wait a few minutes to pay and he had no other business at the desk. He was so rude, so unwelcomeing that I hated staying here.

I had also tried to use this "special" that they are listed as offering on the AwesomeAlpharetta.com site for a "Atlanta History Center by Residence Inn" on the page. I talked to three different people and none of them knew what I was talking about. It was an offer for a rate and then two adult tickets to Atlanta History Center. After the third person, they just said they dont offer it. That was frustrating because I was really looking forward to checking it out in our new town. They didn't even act like they'd look into it. It was basically a "havent heard of it, and therefore weren't gonna honor it." Instead of any sort of, "Let me check into that for you."

Housekeeping had the same type attitude. They have that eco thing up....hang your towels and we wont replace them.....well they just took towels that needed to be replaced and didn't replace the same amount of towels and wash cloths that we'd started with. If they are gonna request that we don't have them replace our towels, they need to pay attention to their own policies and honor what they asked us to do as well as.pay attention to the number they need to replace.

No, I didnt approach the desk about problems because they were apathetic and rude.

I've been staying in hotels now for a week and a half straight because of our move and it's amazing how much the welcome and willingness of staff has made a difference. The places that smile and.have great service, it's so.much better stay even if the hotel isn't great. We are staying in a much farther, less convenient location (Norcross) in a much older TowneSuites now after the Residence bc of an insane 5x rate hike Monday night, but they are so.much nicer, that I'm happier and more comfortable in the smaller one room of the Towneplace than the two room of the convenient Alpharetta Residence Inn.

• Stayed May 2013
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I travel to Alpharetta quite often for work and I usually stay at the Residence Inn next to Northpoint Mall. On this last trip though, they didn't have any rooms available at my company rate so I selected this Residence Inn instead. It was just as close to my office and had a good rate. I was pleasantly surprised at how much more updated this hotel was over where I usually stay. I stayed in a standard 1 bedroom unit and it was very nice, an updated kitchen with granite countertops and new cabinets and appliances, and all of the furnishings in the bedroom and living room appeared to be fairly new as well. No offense to where I usually stay, but it definitely needs a refresh compared to this competing property. The location of this hotel is also great, many restaurants and shops within a mile or so of the property. I'll be staying here now when I travel to Alpharetta.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Wauconda, Illinois
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn Windward during a recent business trip to Alpharetta, GA. It wasn’t my first choice as it was further way from my business location in Alpharetta, however liked that it was a suite room. The location was located not far from the intersection of 440 and Windward, but far enough away where you could not hear the road traffic. It was also located near many strip malls with quick dining options. Off of Windward parkway the location was a bit difficult to find. There was a sign off of Windward, but it was small and you could be confused as it is front of a Holiday Inn too. This location is behind that Holiday Inn. Check-in was very quick and professional. There was a lot of good service from the front desk.

Rooms – Despite their age, the room still seemed new. The wear on the rooms has been minimal but you certainly do not smell a new building anymore. The main bedroom had a king bed. It came with a couple different styles of pillows. I liked that the bedroom had a large closet for storing my stuff and not getting in the way of the cleaning crew. The rooms did feel a bit small and was emphasized by the small cabinet under the tv. The bedding on the bed was adequate. The bathroom was on the smaller side too, but didn’t feel super cramp for a big guy. My biggest complaint was on the first day I was there it was bit cold and the hot water ran out.

Main Living Area – Was surprised to have a fireplace in the room, but didn’t get to use it. Both the bedroom and main living area had flat screen tvs. Both had a wide selection of channels. My biggest complaint about this area is that this is hotel that seems to cater to business travelers but lacked a good working surface. There were two blocks that were a coffee table and work area. It was ideal, but got the job done while sitting on the chaise lounge/couch. I was confused by the internet in this hotel as initially said that I would have to pay for anything over a certain time period. After complaining about this I was informed by the hotel that this was a mistake they were resolving and that they do not charge for internet.

Breakfast /Manager Reception – I found this lacking compared to other chains such as Drury or Embassy. I found the breakfast items to be lacking. The ham didn’t meet my liking. The juice cups were very small. I ended up hitting McDonalds the other days. Hit the Managers reception one day. There was Chex mix and a cheese and meat tray for food. Drinks were Miller light, cans of Pepsi (yes….Pepsi in Atlanta did seem odd), and wine.

Overall –Would I go back…maybe. Overall it was nice stay. I was comfortable, minus some minor annoyances such as the cold shower and lack of workspace. The customer service was very good.

Room Tip: Didn't see elevators so mobility challenged travelers and seniors might want to choose a room on...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel is clean and in a great location. It has tons of shopping and eatery in walking distance. Its a short drive to the city of Atlanta. The hotel's breakfast buffet is really good and it has a lot to choose from. It does have a pool and outside grilling area. The rooms were spotless and spacious with everything you need. More like staying in an apt than a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple