Captain Morgan's Retreat
US$331
US$232
Hotels.com
Banyan Bay Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$339
US$330
Travelocity
Spindrift Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$85
Caribbean Villas Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$92
Pedro's Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$63
US$61
Las Terrazas Resort(San Pedro)
US$475
US$465
  • Pool
US$392
Orbitz.com
Ocean Tide Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$109
Travelocity
Seven Seas Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$144
Sapphire Beach Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$247
US$237
Elvoline
All reviewstime sharesan pedrogolf cartswim up barwater taxibedroom villamain poolsecret beachsea grassnice resortvacation clubother resortsconvenience storecevicheresort restaurantcave tubingrum punch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I called the resort before I scheduled our trip and they said the beach was dredged and ready for swimming. "It is so beautiful" said the resort lady. The first thing we noticed is their beach was not dredged and molding, rotting seaweed was all over the place. Nothing like being lied too. When we arrived they tried to place us in the worst rooms we ever saw. The rooms only had AC in the bedroom, the toilet didn't flush, no TV, and trash was all over the place.

After complaining the manager finally relented and gave us better accomodations. Funny how better rooms finally show up when you complain. We hadn't eaten anything all day but a stale muffin from Continental Airlines. We would of liked to just relax and get something to eat. It was now past 8 pm. Then the room was full of mosquitoes and the toilet didn't work again. The manager accused me of leaving the door open. I had to tell him several times that I just entered the room for the first time ever. Someone else let the door open. Finally after a late night fumigation and fixing the toilet the we found the refrigerator was not working. so far we done nothing on our vacation but get things fixed.

Several of the staff are quite rude. Once I went to get snorkel gear for my wife and I and the jerk who runs the shop refused to give us any. He said we could only have the gear if we were scheduled for a tour. They didn't have enough snorkel gear for everyone. I politely informed him it's not our fault your resort is too cheap to purchase enough snorkeling gear. Then another time at their weekly Italian cuisine night dinner our waiter said he would be right back to take our order. We waited on him for 30 minutes. Often the waiter would look over and glare at us. I don't know what his problem was. Finally after complaing another kinder waiter took our orders. Another time the same jerk who issues the snorkel gear wouldn't pay any attention to me when he announced he had room for 4 more people on the boat taxi to San Pedro. Instead he gave our seats to some people behind us in line. It was the only boat they had leaving that morning. What a jerk!

Don't rent their high priced golf carts either. You can get one in town for $35 a day. Good luck getting a free bike. They reseve them for their local friends. Good luck geting on their pathetic wifi. It only around one very small pool area.

The place should use a staff over haul and they need to actually dredge their seaweed and stop lying to people about their beach being "So beautiful" It ithe ugliest beach I've ever seen. What a rip off!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank kemahkid
Reviewed 1 June 2009

the staff are all very friendly--i am not sure how much more tahiti would offer in the way of scenic beauty, but that would be hard to imagine; the food at the reastaurant was just average and for an area that is abundant with fish, the seafood selections were non existant. the water is not swimmable for all of the weeds and so if swimming in the ocean is impprtant, then this is not the place for you. all in all we would go back there however:

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Captain Morgans is kind of an enigma.... This place could be so much better than it is but is not as bad as some have made it out to be. Most people only focus on the bad from the trip and forget about the good. You have to remember you are in a third world country and not staying in a high class resort but a beach resort.

We came to Captain Morgans for our honeymoon and did a package that included a cabana and the flight and transportation to and from Belize City.

For me one of the most aggravating things was "Belizian time" and it started on our arrival at the San Pedro airport. Captain Morgans set up our flight from Belize City to San Pedro and upon arrival to San Pedro we had to wait 30-40 minutes for our transportation to the docks and another 20 minutes for the boat to transport us to Captian Morgans. Thankfully there was a bar at the dock and while waiting we saw an eagle ray swimming by the dock.

The second example was coming back to our room on one of the days and not having any towels. I made a trip to the front desk where I was told it would be handled, 30 minutes later my wife went down and was told it would be handled, after another 30 minutes my wife went back down and was told the dryer was broken and they did not have any clean towel at the moment. (remember we went in the off season so the hotel was not full) finally after a total of 4 hours I went to the front desk and told them someone had better find me some towels. I was told oh it has not been taken care of yet with no apology or a hint of concern. 15 minutes later they brought us 2 beach towels not bath towels. (these have a logo for the resort on them and are not the best for showering) They probably could have done that 4 hours previous.

The third exmple of Belizian time was on a fishing trip I had booked with the resort. I was told to be at the docks at 7:45am the guide showed up at about 7:55 and then proceeded to fill the boat with the poles, drinks ice and then gas, by the time he was done it was about 8:30 for a trip that started at 8am. We then went searching for bait fish to catch which took another 30 minutes and the guide could not find any bait fish. So my 8am trip started at 9am and because we did not have the right bait he switched my trip from a reef fishing trip to a trolling in deeper water for bigger fish trip. I actually did not mind this but when the trolling was not going well I would have liked to go to the reef so I did not come back empty handed. On top of losing an hour from my fishing trip my wife was on the dock and talking to a 9 year old girl who had caught 17 snapper on the reef and I came back empty handed. She failed to see the difference in the types of fishing. :)

This next part I cannot confirm as I did not experience it but another guest at the hotel told me that if you book your excursions from the Captain Morgans in town the exact same trip will cost you less. Sometimes up to 50.00 less for an excursion.

My only other complaint would be the lack of concern from a couple of the employees, one front desk girl, one bar tender and one excursion host. When getting information always ask if there anything else I should know. Two examples are we rented a golf cart to go into town which was a blast, almost like 4-wheeling in a golf cart. (the road was a little rough) we rented the cart from 12:30 to 2:30 which meant we had to be crossing the toll bridge (10.00 BZ 5.00 U.S. round trip) at about 2:15 to make it back on time. Well we made it to the bridge on time only to find it was closed for construction from 2-4 so we had to go back into town for another hour and fortyfive mintues, when we got back I asked the guy if he knew that the bridge was closed at certain times and he said yes and rattled off all the times it was closed like it was common knowledge and I was stupid for not knowing it. He then told me that he would waive the extra time which made me happy but of course it showed up on our bill at check out for the full amount.

The second time we had dinner reservations in town at 7:30 and verified twice if and when the water taxi ran. We were told that there was a 7pm taxi and to wait out on the end of the dock, at 7:20 the taxi going the other way pulled up and when I asked him about the taxi going in our direction he said we had just missed it, when I told him it did not stop he informed me it only stops if you turn the green light on at the end of the dock. Something that would have been helpful to have the front desk lady tell us. (she was also the lady we talked to about the towels) So of course we missed our dinner reservations and to make matters worse the restuarant at Captain Morgans only had a bar menu instead of a dinner menu that night so I ate pizza instead of stone crab.

Now if all of these had happened at different times of the trip they probably would not have been a big deal but the fishing trip, the towels, the water taxi, and bar menu all happened in the same day.

Now for the good.......

We never got bothered by the time share people, we saw them with alot of people but always at lunch and nobody seemed distressed and the whole thing seemed very relaxed. (maybe because we were in the off season).

The cabana was very clean and spacious with no problems other then the air conditioner being kinda loud. Plenty of room for clothes, a couple of comfy chairs and a bed that was too soft for me but that is a personal preference not a reflection on the cabana.

The beach was beautiful and was being cleaned every day. They cleaned up any sea grass that washed ashore and raked the beach everyday. There were a lot of couches and hammocks spread over the beach. There is alot of sea grass which is normal as it was planted to help prevent the erosion of the beaches in Amergris Caye and is not just at Captain Morgans. I went swimming off the docks on a number of occasions, they keep all the boats on one side and you can swim off the other.

The excursion guides (which were Captain Morgan employees) were incredible with their knowledge and personality and made every trip unforgetable. We did a total of 4 excursions and other than what I wrote on the fishing trip were first class.

The restaurant although limited for breakfast and lunch was good as was the service and the time it took to receive the meal. The prices were a bit expensive but all food in Belize is.

All the employees with the exception of the three I mentioned were outstanding in their manners and desire to please us and make sure we were satisfied.

All in all you have to be able to relax when you go on vacation and remember you are in a third world country at a beach resort. If you can do that you will enjoy Captain Morgans.

I would recommend Captain Morgans for most of my friends but have a few that would not be happy with it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Captain Morgan's was a true mixed bag. Overall, I recommend it, but have the proper expectations.

The Good
- The employees couldn't be nicer. Seriously. We had our 3 year old son with us and they really went out of their way to make things easy. Also, Dr. Como, he's the best, and he makes a mean rum punch... from what I can remember.
- The beach was great. Raked every a.m., the view is nice, and the dock is easy to access for boat rides into town and swimming. Granted, you can't go directly into the water without going out to the dock first, but that's all of Belize (I hear the plan is to dig some of the seaweed out and make the ocean front area more hospitable - that would be amazing).
- Our package came with free breakfast, and the restaurant breakfast was good. Other reviewers rip the dinner, and I can understand it, the restaurant is average, but note that it's pretty economical and the alternatives around town are generally pricey for anything decent. If you factor in your savings on a water taxi or golf cart to get into town, it's even more economical.
- Cultural night was on the cheesy side with the one man DJ band, but that made it strangely great. It is nice to have on site entertainment so you don't have to go to town constantly.
- Definitely a good value, especially for being out away from the hub-bub of town, felt a bit exclusive actually.
- Easy access to tours and the like, they'll book them at the hotel, and pick you up/drop you off. You can rent a golf cart on site (just do that as you need to), and there's a general store on the property too. Very accommodating.

The Bad
- We stayed in a cabana, which it sounds like they're tearing down now. I can't comment on the other rooms, or new ones coming, but as far as the cabanas went, they looked great from the outside (on the beach, Gilligan's Island huts), but were dated and a bit shady on the inside. The water from the faucet and shower smelled, the swamp cooler was useless (super hot during the day), and it all felt a bit rickety and not exactly secure.
- Not a Captain Morgan's issue, but note that an extended stay at the island is a bit much. 3 or 4 days would have been plenty (we stayed 6)- there's not a ton to do beyond the water attractions, and unless you're looking to hole up and read 10 books, you'll get bored.

...and the Time Share Ladies
- Part our fault, part there's, the lead generation crew was a bit aggressive. They really kept after us to check out their wares and stalked us throughout our stay - at breakfast, at our room, when relaxing, it was a bit much. We should have shut them down immediately and forcefully first thing - my mistake. But their tactics were a bit over the top too . I think they're likely trying to sell the old building goods before the new building is up, might explain the pressure these folks are obviously under.

I am also clicking that I would recommend this hotel to a friend below and here's why. The reality is that Belize is an up and coming place, and that nicer accommodations are on the way (new places are being built, old ones are remodeling like Captain Morgan's). For now, Captain Morgan's is as good as anything else, and the true test will be in a few years when there's more options.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We both fell in love with Belize & Capt. Morgans. The staff was awsome, food was great. I want to come back so bad hoping to soon. I would love to move to Belize. The people are so nice always have a smile for you. We did do the tour but already own a time share, no pressure in face enjoyed it very much. The activities they have are so much fun. We both thought the food was awsome can't believe what others have written. They are just nuts. Thank you for our dreams vacation. special thank to Rhonda for all of her help & Big Red for all of his help. Just love you both great people can't wait to see you again. Bob & Cheri from Kansas

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple