“Snorkeling excursion, has to be one of the best”
Review of Shark Ray Alley

Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley Sailing and Snorkeling Tour
London, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Snorkeling excursion, has to be one of the best”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Did a morning snorkeling trip with Ecologic Divers (based in San Pedro) to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley.

So glad we chose this firm as when we got to Hol Chan there were a dozen boats already there. We had been warned by the crew that if it was a 'circus' we'd switch sites. So went to snorkel Shark Ray Alley first and leave the crowds behind.

We arrived and had the whole area to ourselves. The twenty or so nurse sharks joined us along with a similar number of sting rays. Obviously they dispersed as we joined them in the crystal clear warm water.

Snorkeling was amazing with families of nurse sharks, some larger than 2m, sting rays as big. A large sea turtle grazing on the eel grass made the trip.

We'd normally go scuba diving, but due to a broken collarbone I couldn't. This snorkel trip surpassed many of our previous dives in and around the Caribbean. Stunning!

1 Thank NeilAWalker

Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ride a Shark!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

There are few Americans - perhaps few people on the planet - more innately afraid of sharks than I. I read Jaws, then foolishly saw the flick. Believe me, the book is scarier, just like The Exorcist. A slight digression. So imagine the astonishment of my family when I not only agreed to the Shark Ray Alley excursion, I actually caught a nurse shark by the fins and rode her until she was able to shake me off. In fact, that shark could have been a male - I still suffer from the gender-identification constraints of the '60's; you know, pink for girls, female nurses, male astronauts. It's a factor of age. Another digression - and you probably only want to know about sharks and rays. This trip is a blast. There are sharks and rays everywhere and the locals will swear the sharks are harmless. This was one of my favorite activities during my trip to Belize and I highly recommend it. By the way, be careful when booking your trip to Belize that you do not rely upon American connotations of words like "resort". Our hotel actually boasted the word "Resort" in its name and I was stunned-to-tears when I saw the exposed bulb hanging on a cord that was our illumination. We DID adapt, however, and enjoyed our vacation, as soon as we were able to recalibrate our expectations. Cay Caulker was our only destination. Next time, we will try another of the Cays.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank browneyesoftexas
Greenville, North Carolina
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“How do you top jumping into the middle of 20 sharks?”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

If you would have told me that I would jump into the middle of a bunch of sharks and sea rays before I went to Shark-Ray Alley, I would have told you that you were absolutely nuts! No way! But, when in Rome . . . So off we go to Shark Ray Alley with our Discovery Expeditions guide. He explains that a local fisherman used to fish these waters and cleaned his fish there and fed the pieces to the sharks. Soon the sharks recognized his motor and followed his boat each time he came. So now, the sharks assemble each time they hear a motor. That said, he explained that as we pulled into the Alley with the sharks following our boat, I should slip into the water. I did just that. My wife stayed on board asking who had my life insurance. So there I was facing all of those sharks. What the guide didn't tell me was that he was going to throw chum right where I was so that I could get a close up view of all of the sharks and rays. Fortunately, as soon as the sharks eat the chum, they are pretty much gone to follow the next boat coming into the alley. It was truly fascinating. I am so glad I did it. Don't pass up this experience.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank a36redbaron
Thunder Bay, Ontario
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Most peacfull place on earth”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We spent 2 weeks on San Pedro Island and the people were all most respctful helpful and willing to show you around, the dive snorkel operation are nothing short of devoted into preserving there waters and the aquatic life, they are all very competent guides. A very worthwhile experience.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Marcel T
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“carnival cruise excursion- H20”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was a nice excursion. Water is beautiful, sting rays were plentiful with bait, and the water is only about 5-8 feet deep. There were a few small sharks but they did not approach the group and seemed timid. Carnival's excursion was about $50 overpriced compared to private companies but we did it since it was the safe bet on not getting left in Belize. I will say it is a 1+ hour ride and we were only in the water about 45 minutes. It was beautiful and I pet the sting rays the whole time. Too bad there isn't a photographer present, I would have bought it since our underwater camera did not work properly. Would recommend this excursion but NO CARNIVAL CRUISE, it was awful.

Visited September 2013