“Not my cup of tea!”

US$95.00*
Hol Chan Marine Park, Shark Ray Alley and Caye Caulker Tour from Ambergris Caye
US$66.99*
and up
Belize Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley Snorkel Tour from Ambergris...
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Sharks/Rays are offered food to get them to come to the boat. Yes you can see masses of sharks and rays and masses of people trying to get pictures. Feeding and photo frenzy!! Go on an Eco tour and see these magnificent creatures in a natural encounter if you want to really appreciate their beauty and allure.

3  Thank Greta2516

Reviewed 15 October 2013

As the name of this snorkel site suggests, there are lots of sharks and lots of sting rays! We had such a great time swimming with them! The local sea life is so accustomed to humans (and the food we bring them), that they really have no fear of us. Since there were not many other boats in the area at the time, all the fish, sharks, and rays stayed with us for a while. It was such a fun experience -- I highly recommend making time for this spot (just don't get between the sharks and their chum!).

We went with No Worries tours (at the X'tan Ha dock), and they were great!

2  Thank Skidea
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Did a morning snorkeling trip with Ecologic Divers (based in San Pedro) to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley.

So glad we chose this firm as when we got to Hol Chan there were a dozen boats already there. We had been warned by the crew that if it was a 'circus' we'd switch sites. So went to snorkel Shark Ray Alley first and leave the crowds behind.

We arrived and had the whole area to ourselves. The twenty or so nurse sharks joined us along with a similar number of sting rays. Obviously they dispersed as we joined them in the crystal clear warm water.

Snorkeling was amazing with families of nurse sharks, some larger than 2m, sting rays as big. A large sea turtle grazing on the eel grass made the trip.

We'd normally go scuba diving, but due to a broken collarbone I couldn't. This snorkel trip surpassed many of our previous dives in and around the Caribbean. Stunning!

1  Thank NeilAWalker
Reviewed 30 September 2013

There are few Americans - perhaps few people on the planet - more innately afraid of sharks than I. I read Jaws, then foolishly saw the flick. Believe me, the book is scarier, just like The Exorcist. A slight digression. So imagine the astonishment of my family when I not only agreed to the Shark Ray Alley excursion, I actually caught a nurse shark by the fins and rode her until she was able to shake me off. In fact, that shark could have been a male - I still suffer from the gender-identification constraints of the '60's; you know, pink for girls, female nurses, male astronauts. It's a factor of age. Another digression - and you probably only want to know about sharks and rays. This trip is a blast. There are sharks and rays everywhere and the locals will swear the sharks are harmless. This was one of my favorite activities during my trip to Belize and I highly recommend it. By the way, be careful when booking your trip to Belize that you do not rely upon American connotations of words like "resort". Our hotel actually boasted the word "Resort" in its name and I was stunned-to-tears when I saw the exposed bulb hanging on a cord that was our illumination. We DID adapt, however, and enjoyed our vacation, as soon as we were able to recalibrate our expectations. Cay Caulker was our only destination. Next time, we will try another of the Cays.

2  Thank browneyesoftexas
Reviewed 4 September 2013

If you would have told me that I would jump into the middle of a bunch of sharks and sea rays before I went to Shark-Ray Alley, I would have told you that you were absolutely nuts! No way! But, when in Rome . . . So off we go to Shark Ray Alley with our Discovery Expeditions guide. He explains that a local fisherman used to fish these waters and cleaned his fish there and fed the pieces to the sharks. Soon the sharks recognized his motor and followed his boat each time he came. So now, the sharks assemble each time they hear a motor. That said, he explained that as we pulled into the Alley with the sharks following our boat, I should slip into the water. I did just that. My wife stayed on board asking who had my life insurance. So there I was facing all of those sharks. What the guide didn't tell me was that he was going to throw chum right where I was so that I could get a close up view of all of the sharks and rays. Fortunately, as soon as the sharks eat the chum, they are pretty much gone to follow the next boat coming into the alley. It was truly fascinating. I am so glad I did it. Don't pass up this experience.

2  Thank a36redbaron