All reviewstackle boxsan pedrohol chan and shark ray alleyfishmexico rocksdive masterdive shopbudget roombarrier reefbaby oilboat trafficnurse sharksaquarium restaurantremote locationminute boat ridesea grassgreat snorkeling
Reviewed 30 March 2012

So where do I begin. I almost want to give a bad review so I can keep this place a secret from everyone else. But really I couldn't even think of something bad to say. First you are met by the TBR boat and are treated to a scenic boat ride to get to the resort. If you have looked at the TBR web site you have a great idea what the resort is like. They have done a great job of not over or under selling the resort on their site. So when you reach your destination it looks just like what you expect. The only thing they can not display online is the friendliness and kindness of the entire staff. If you need something or forgot to bring something, just ask any of the staff and they will do their very best to get you what you need at retail cost. They don't even charge extra for getting it to the resort. They are amazing. House keeping was fantastic. And so friendly. Hill the bartender/waiter is awesome. Spent time during his beaks to do activities with us. Staff even played soccer with all the kids in the early evening. Tours are available and same cost as the ones located much closer to the activities. Food at the resturant was sometimes fantastic but never less than above average. We were always happy with what we ordered. We brought snacks and had happy hour on our deck with other guest. Everyone here gathers and does activities together. It Was great. I'm sure we have met some life long acquaintances. So much fun to spend time in a small resort and meet new people. The beach is clean and great to swim or snorkel in, even at night when the dock is lite up. The cabanas are very comfortable and bedrooms have air conditioning. Really just a piece of paradise. I only have two things that aren't complaints but just suggestions. One is that if possible it might be nice to have a chalk or white board that has the times the boat is scheduled to pick up or drop off guest in town the next few days. That way you have an idea if you want to see if there is room to catch a ride. I know things change daily but this way you can ask a few days in advance. Not that it's a problem just a suggestion. THey really do their best to accommodate your needs, but this might help coordinate things. Two is with the resturant being small, it might be best not to allow reservations, And have it first come first serve. If you have a 7:00 reservation the table may sit empty for awhile trying to make sure it is ready for you at 7:00 making it hard for other guest to sit inside and eat that have already arrived. Again really not a huge issue. The staff will do their best to get you a table with very little wait, but it's hard to see a table sit empty for 40 minutes well you wait. I know the staff tries to please everyone so this request might be a double edge sword. So after a LONG review I hope this is helpful for fellow travelers. We love TBR and will be back. A special hug goes out to hill and the rest of the staff! Thank you so much for all of your kindness. Carlos and Isabelle keep up the fantastic work!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank goanytimeanywhere
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and kids and I all agree in giving a big thumbs-up to Carlos and Isabelle and the tastefully low-key resort they run half an hour by boat from San Pedro; I hope we can return there, and I'll certainly recommend Tranquility Bay to people in my world.

The cabanas are eminently pleasant, and well set-up for families. The restaurant's got a rather limited menu, but we quite liked a number of things we ate there; anything the menu lacks in sophistication is more than made up for in the incredibly personable and efficient service, which characterized pretty much every aspect of our stay at Tranquility Bay. Andres and Hill and the others in the restaurant were super good-natured, and especially good with our kids, who quite came to like them over the five days we spent here. Jamal heads up a good fishing trip, and Orlando is a most effective scuba instructor; obviously experienced and kind of stern but with a twinkle to his eye, he definitely made my wife and me feel we were in good hands in first learning to dive.

Carlos and Isabelle, too, took wonderful care of us. Isabelle's invariably charming solicitude included the provision of invaluable help in accommodating the one of our kids who was too young to come along scuba diving with everyone else. And while Orlando ably introduced me and my wife to the basics of diving, Carlos did so for our son, to whom he gave confidence-inspiringly one-on-one attention.

Various levels of scuba instruction are among several things Tranquility Bay is set up to provide and facilitate; every day we were there, trips went out (some of them half-day, some full-day) to places like Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley, which were totally amazing. And great snorkeling is available from pretty much right on the beach; you can swim out or paddle a kayak out and tie up to a buoy right at the edge of what I'm reliably informed is one of the world's largest and most impressive reefs -- snorkeling just 100 yards or so out from your cabana.

The combination of comforts, service, and readily available recreational opportunities made for just the right balance between adventures and activity, on one hand, and unscheduled down-time on the other. The well-kept beach (thoroughly provisioned with hammocks and lounge chairs) is great for reading a book (so, for that matter, are the cabanas), and there's a swankier resort just a 15-minute walk (along a sometimes rather fetid path) down the beach, offering a very nice pool and an alternative bar and restaurant -- when we weren't doing something more venturesome, we walked with the kids to the pool so they could swim while we read and napped.

Really a thoroughly nice time was had by all of us -- my wife and kids and I all found Tranquility Bay a lovely place offering just the right balance of beauty, quiet, and a wide variety of available opportunities for recreation. In the course of what was for us an unusually long stay somewhere, we never got tired of it, and I do hope we make it back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Dan A
Reviewed 24 March 2012

After a somewhat rocky start to our vacation (our previous stop did not go exactly as planned) from the moment we arrived at the San Pedro airport, all of our worries started to dissolve away! The transfer from airport to San Pedro dock to Tranquility Bay boat was smooth as silk! Upon our arrival at Tranquility Bay we were warmly greeted by Isabelle, our luggage was promptly whisked off to our Casita, and our welcome drink, a "Naked Iguana" was in our hands before we knew it!!! After our orientation to the property with Isabelle, we were shown to our Casita, #6, and that is when we truly began to unwind and enjoy!!!
This is truly a special place, that we feel honored to have had the opportunity to share this spot with some truly special friends!
The staff: What can I say? This is the kind of resort that after a very short time you are on a first name basis with everyone, and are made to feel so welcome and at home. Unlike a huge resort where nobody knows your name, here you are one of the family!!! Hill and Albert are two of the most witty, charming ("Talk to me Sweetie Pie") and personable bartenders/waiters that we have ever had the pleasure of meeting! Where else can you say you got your own personal wheelbarrow ride on a dock in the Caribbean??? And what a wicked Pina Colada they make!!!! I can still feel the warmth of their genuine smiles!!!:)

The Accommodation: We had Casita #6, a 2 bedroom, it was perfect for our needs. Cleaned daily by dear Elsa, we were all very comfortable. One recommendation I would make would be to stop somewhere prior to boarding the boat and perhaps stock up on snacks, drinks, etc. That way you have the ability to make your own if you so choose.

The Food: WOW!!! WOW!!! Those ladies in the kitchen have a way with food, we certainly did enjoy everything that we ordered and were very impressed with the quality of the food that was coming out of that tiny kitchen!! We even had our own personally catered private dinner in our Casita on our last evening, making our 25th Anniversary trip so very special!
We did the Hol Chan Marine Park and Shark Ray Alley excursion, Orlando was such an excellent guide and we had the most awesome day, so full of interesting things and lots of fun! Included in the excursion was a stop at Caye Caulker, very laid back and interesting place, and also a stop in San Pedro where we had an opportunity to check it out....I have to say, although San Pedro is very unique in it's own right, I was happy to be back on our boat and heading North to our peaceful setting at TB!!

We went kayaking and saw a group of 8 or so rays, snorkeling, walked the beach, viewed many many rays, a nurse shark, barracudas, squid, tarpon and many other fish at night time off the dock, laid in the sun, ate and drank to our heart's content, and above all really and truly relaxed and unwound!! We left feeling like we had made some wonderful new friends, and are so glad that our paths in life have crossed. Isabelle, Carlos, Hill, Albert, Elsa and the rest of the kitchen ladies, Ian & Lucy, Orlando, Winfield, and little Miss Maya,(pleas forgive me if I have forgotten anyone) all of you are special people and we are so happy to have met you!!

If a peaceful and relaxing vacation in an idyllic setting is what you are looking for, with incredible views of the early morning Caribbean sunrise, give Tranquility Bay Resort a try, you will not be disappointed. We also suggest booking directly with the resort, they are more than accommodating and you will get what you asked for!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cindrizzle
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Our vision of the ideal wedding was on an intimate beach without the stress of actually planning an event or dealing with endless details. We found exactly what we were looking for at Tranquility Bay Resort! We literally arrived and three days later were married on the beach outside our cabana. Isabelle and Carlos, (the excellent resort managers) took care of absolutely everything, attending to even the most minor details. Our dream of an intimate beach wedding was realized to perfection! Isabelle arranged an amazing photographer (see photos!), flowers, hair and make-up, staged the ceremony, private sunset from the boat in the bay (the driver kayaked back!) a private dinner afterwards in our cabana and breakfast delivered the next morning . We were genuinely charmed by the service we received by all of the very capable staff. At a boutique resort like this one, you get to know the staff (most of them were on the dock welcoming us when we arrived). The seafood we ate was pulled fresh out of the sea and prepared to order. The snorkeling and diving at the resort was phenomenal. The cabanas were lovely with plenty of space and nice decor. The northern location of the resort is on the northern limit of the water taxi route, which means much less boat and foot traffic. The only resort that allows safe snorkeling and diving from the beach to the reef. The cabanas, boats, snorkeling and scuba equipment were high-quality and well-maintained. No corners were cut during our stay at Tranquility Bay nor were we ever "nickel-and-dimed." We have only the best memories of our wedding weekend thanks to Isabelle and Carlos and all of the great folks at Tranquility Bay! This resort will get a return visit!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The best place I've ever been!!!! The staff and management have been worderful! Nothing negative to say. Everything was just perfect! The food (thanks chef! note: try the tenderloin stuffed pork, wonderful!), the beach, the cabanas were awesome! We did snorkeling each day just in front of our door!!! Tours were wonderful (turtles, sharks, rays, fishing, etc). This place is perfect to rest, enjoy nature, run on the beach at sunrise and do some discoveries!!! Too hot!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple