All reviewstackle boxsan pedrohol chan and shark ray alleyfishmexico rocksdive masterdive shopbudget roombarrier reefbaby oilboat trafficnurse sharksaquarium restaurantremote locationminute boat ridesea grassgreat snorkeling
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Remember that Chorus from Cheers? "Where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came....."

During our week In this intimate setting of warm sun, coconut palms waving in tropical breezes and beautiful azure water, the TBR mgmt and staff treat guests family (in a good way). Their smiles are contagious and no reasonable request is left unsatisfied. As for the Cheers reference, the friendly staff and the small size of the resort create an atmosphere where guests can relax and share life, if they choose. Each morning, we enjoyed new fishing, diving and travel stories shared between tables by smiling guests while enjoying fresh squeezed juices and tastey breakfast fare.

Before arrival, i was concerned about the logistics of getting to the resort. Not to worry. We walked to the Tropic Air desk at BZE and told them we were going to SanPedro and then on to TBR. The rest was effortless. Ask to sit in the jump seat (co-pilot) on the plane. It's a great view and the landing is a blast.

The queen size beds were surprisingly comfortable. We're accustomed to a larger mattress, but slept very well at the resort. If your A/C has a recirculation setting, use it. The room will stay much cooler and dryer.

Hats off to the cooks! The food at the restaraunt was wonderful. We ate all our meals there except for the day we spent shopping in SanPedro. The menu had excellent variety and given the monopoly, reasonable prices. All the fish and shrimp dishes were delicious. Don't miss the coconut pie and coconut ice cream - YUM!

If you're a diver, it's just a short (<10 minutes) trip to Basil Canyons (and other sites) just outside the reef with the TBR divemasters. The coral and sponge are healthy & beautiful and fish were abundant. The all-day trip via Amigos del Mar to the Blue Hole / Lighthouse Reef is worth the effort. The Blue Hole is one of those "bucket list" dives, but the Half Moon Wall dive was i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e; maybe the best dive I've ever made. Amigos has some mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but I found their boat to be clean and comfortable and their guides were personable and attentive. The TBR staff made all the arrangements for me.

Fishing and fish / ray sighting from the TBR dock seemed to be best later in the evening after the restaraunt closed and most guests retired for the night. The resort offers several options for fishing trips. We didn't catch the "big one", but enjoyed our sunset fishing adventure.

Don't bother taking your PC. The satellite internet connection is painfully s-l-o-w. Don't expect to check your email.

The resort setting is beautiful, quiet, relaxing..... but secluded. For you Type-As that find too much relaxation to be stressful, stay in touch with whoever is manning the front desk and ask when the resort boats are scheduled to make the trip to SanPedro or ask about other activities.

Room Tip: #9 is a wonderful 2BR. A/C in both BRs was powerful. Great view of the beach & water. #7 has two beds. One is in a private BR with A/C; the other, in an open loft - no A/C, but a great breeze and ceiling fan. Great view of the beach & water.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OKzhnalTourist
TBR-Manager, Manager at Tranquility Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thanks for the great review! I loved cheers! lol!! Look forward to seeing you at the resort again soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here for a week earlier this year and our experiences were quite mixed. Having read some reviews we knew not to expect luxury, we are quite used to staying in budget places so didn't think it would be a problem. However given the price we paid (which certainly wasn't budget) we expected a little more.

The towels were stained and full of holes, sheets also had holes, the towel rail was hanging off the wall, sofa felt damp. But the WORST thing of all was the lighting in both the cabanas and the restaurant/bar which was horrible. A really bright, stark light that made everywhere feel an unpleasant place to linger after dark. This was especially a shame in the restaurant/bar which with just a little TLC (and not much money) could have been really nice. As it was we ate and left promptly as it just wasn't a nice place to sit and relax. The food was also mediocre at best and wasn't super cheap so didn't feel like great value. You can walk to the neighbouring resort (which we did a few nights for dinner) where the food is a bit nicer and the environment is so much better.

The saving grace for this place is it's location. It is gorgeous - super quiet, right on the beach with plenty of hammocks and beach chairs to relax on. To walk out of your cabana and be right on this beautiful beach is amazing. The staff were also very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

Overall would I stay again? Probably not.

Also upon leaving I was asked not to put anything negative on trip advisor - I wonder if this accounts for the overwhelmingly positive reviews??

Room Tip: Go for the budget room - much cheaper for the same level of accommodation. You are just a few more steps from the beach
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Curfrine

Thanks for the compliment on our website! We are proud that none of the pictures are photoshoped and what you see is what you get. We are a laid back Caribbean beach resort. I think Hemmingway probably would have approved. TBR is the way the Caribbean used to be and probably should be.If you are looking for a fancy resort with slate and stainless steel TBR is not it. I would like to apologize for the towels, the holes where unexcusable and they have been replaced. I would also agree that our location is our true asset!

Cheers,
Carlos

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Recently spent an outstanding week of treking in Guatamala and Belize with Wildrness Inquiry. We stayed at some nice hotels and resorts and at a private home in the beach in Hopkins. We had decided that after all that exercise, we wanted to relax before flying home and we found the perfect spot at Tranquility Bay. Right on the beach, clean and neat casitas with chaise lounges outside our door. We were 5 minutes from the Great Barrier Reef by kayak for awesome snorkeling. Isabel and Carlos are gracious hosts and work very hard to please their guests. The highlight of the resort is the restaurant, right on the water with fish swimming under the dock. Albert and Hill are excellent servers and the ladies in the kitchen are very talented. The food was delicious, I had fresh fish everyday! We will be back for a week in 2013!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the great review! Look forward to seeing you next year!
Cheers,
Carlos

Reviewed 30 March 2012

So where do I begin. I almost want to give a bad review so I can keep this place a secret from everyone else. But really I couldn't even think of something bad to say. First you are met by the TBR boat and are treated to a scenic boat ride to get to the resort. If you have looked at the TBR web site you have a great idea what the resort is like. They have done a great job of not over or under selling the resort on their site. So when you reach your destination it looks just like what you expect. The only thing they can not display online is the friendliness and kindness of the entire staff. If you need something or forgot to bring something, just ask any of the staff and they will do their very best to get you what you need at retail cost. They don't even charge extra for getting it to the resort. They are amazing. House keeping was fantastic. And so friendly. Hill the bartender/waiter is awesome. Spent time during his beaks to do activities with us. Staff even played soccer with all the kids in the early evening. Tours are available and same cost as the ones located much closer to the activities. Food at the resturant was sometimes fantastic but never less than above average. We were always happy with what we ordered. We brought snacks and had happy hour on our deck with other guest. Everyone here gathers and does activities together. It Was great. I'm sure we have met some life long acquaintances. So much fun to spend time in a small resort and meet new people. The beach is clean and great to swim or snorkel in, even at night when the dock is lite up. The cabanas are very comfortable and bedrooms have air conditioning. Really just a piece of paradise. I only have two things that aren't complaints but just suggestions. One is that if possible it might be nice to have a chalk or white board that has the times the boat is scheduled to pick up or drop off guest in town the next few days. That way you have an idea if you want to see if there is room to catch a ride. I know things change daily but this way you can ask a few days in advance. Not that it's a problem just a suggestion. THey really do their best to accommodate your needs, but this might help coordinate things. Two is with the resturant being small, it might be best not to allow reservations, And have it first come first serve. If you have a 7:00 reservation the table may sit empty for awhile trying to make sure it is ready for you at 7:00 making it hard for other guest to sit inside and eat that have already arrived. Again really not a huge issue. The staff will do their best to get you a table with very little wait, but it's hard to see a table sit empty for 40 minutes well you wait. I know the staff tries to please everyone so this request might be a double edge sword. So after a LONG review I hope this is helpful for fellow travelers. We love TBR and will be back. A special hug goes out to hill and the rest of the staff! Thank you so much for all of your kindness. Carlos and Isabelle keep up the fantastic work!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank goanytimeanywhere
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and kids and I all agree in giving a big thumbs-up to Carlos and Isabelle and the tastefully low-key resort they run half an hour by boat from San Pedro; I hope we can return there, and I'll certainly recommend Tranquility Bay to people in my world.

The cabanas are eminently pleasant, and well set-up for families. The restaurant's got a rather limited menu, but we quite liked a number of things we ate there; anything the menu lacks in sophistication is more than made up for in the incredibly personable and efficient service, which characterized pretty much every aspect of our stay at Tranquility Bay. Andres and Hill and the others in the restaurant were super good-natured, and especially good with our kids, who quite came to like them over the five days we spent here. Jamal heads up a good fishing trip, and Orlando is a most effective scuba instructor; obviously experienced and kind of stern but with a twinkle to his eye, he definitely made my wife and me feel we were in good hands in first learning to dive.

Carlos and Isabelle, too, took wonderful care of us. Isabelle's invariably charming solicitude included the provision of invaluable help in accommodating the one of our kids who was too young to come along scuba diving with everyone else. And while Orlando ably introduced me and my wife to the basics of diving, Carlos did so for our son, to whom he gave confidence-inspiringly one-on-one attention.

Various levels of scuba instruction are among several things Tranquility Bay is set up to provide and facilitate; every day we were there, trips went out (some of them half-day, some full-day) to places like Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley, which were totally amazing. And great snorkeling is available from pretty much right on the beach; you can swim out or paddle a kayak out and tie up to a buoy right at the edge of what I'm reliably informed is one of the world's largest and most impressive reefs -- snorkeling just 100 yards or so out from your cabana.

The combination of comforts, service, and readily available recreational opportunities made for just the right balance between adventures and activity, on one hand, and unscheduled down-time on the other. The well-kept beach (thoroughly provisioned with hammocks and lounge chairs) is great for reading a book (so, for that matter, are the cabanas), and there's a swankier resort just a 15-minute walk (along a sometimes rather fetid path) down the beach, offering a very nice pool and an alternative bar and restaurant -- when we weren't doing something more venturesome, we walked with the kids to the pool so they could swim while we read and napped.

Really a thoroughly nice time was had by all of us -- my wife and kids and I all found Tranquility Bay a lovely place offering just the right balance of beauty, quiet, and a wide variety of available opportunities for recreation. In the course of what was for us an unusually long stay somewhere, we never got tired of it, and I do hope we make it back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family