“A small paradise”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
Ranked #28 of 57 Hotels in Ambergris Caye
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed at TBR for 5 nights at the beginning of July. After spending the previous week having a wonderful time in the jungle we were looking forward to enjoying our time on the beach. We were not disappointed. Even our arrival was a small adventure as we took the small aircraft from Belize City to San Pedro, a very short taxi ride to the boat dock and then climbed aboard our speed boat to get to Tranquility Bay. I must admit I was expecting a more leisurely boat ride but zipping along the coast line with the wind in your hair was quite refreshing after the humidity of the jungle. Carlos and Maya (his beautiful daughter) were there to great us when we arrived with a welcome drink. He gave us a quick introduction to the resort with information on the various trips we could do during our stay and then showed us to our bungalow. The bungalows are all very quaint with bright paintwork. Inside they are very comfortable with 2 good sized bedrooms with their own bathroom. There is also a good lounge area with comfy seating. It also has a small kitchen area with a fridge and microwave. If you have time before you get on the boat on arriving stock up on some drinks and snacks to bring with you.

The beach was my dream come true with lovely white sand, hammocks strung between coconut palms and turquoise water. It was lovely to come out of your bungalow straight onto the sand and then be in the water in about 10 steps. The staff do a great job of raking the beachfront every morning. The water was lovely and warm (something we are not used to coming from England!) and full of the most amazing fish (we even swam with a stingray one day). My husband is not a strong swimmer so the fact that the water never gets very deep and gets shallower near the reef was perfect for him to snorkel with confidence. Being able to have use of the canoes was also good. Whilst we were there we did the snorkel trip to Hol Chan which was an amazing trip - saw lots of the bigger fish and plenty of nursing sharks and stingrays.

The food at TBR was excellent and the service from all the staff (who were extremely friendly) was very good. If you want a relaxing break away from the world then this is the place for you. I have a picture of the beach as my desktop so I can always dream I'm there as a look out my window at the murky gray skies here! Would love to go back some day.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank TheSwissFamilyF

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We went in Nov 2011. It's all been said in other reviews. A great place to disconnect from electronics and chill. We loved the staff. You could go for a week with two bathing suits, and a few tshirts or a sundress. No need for anything dressy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carla1016
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at TBR for about 4 days and were blown away. We both looked forward to the snorkeling when we visited Belize, and TBR was perfect for this. The beach was phenomenal and you can just step right into the ocean and enjoy acres of beautiful reefs. The staff gave us directions on where we could find manatees nearby, so we kayaked out one afternoon and enjoyed a close encounter with one. The staff did a great job setting up our day trips for snorkeling elsewhere, would definitely recommend Shark Ray Alley. Although you only have one choice for meals, the restaurant had a nice selection. The staff was phenomenal, from our arrival to departure. If you'd like a secluded, relaxing, beachfront stay with a multitude of available water activities then Tranquility Bay is the place to go.

2  Thank Travln_Bdgr
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We started our Belize honeymoon staying on the mainland in the jungle. We did the obligatory (and quite amazing) tours and spent our fair share of time in the mountains. It was beautiful! BUT...the second we landed in San Pedro my level of relaxation skyrocketed. The boat ride to Tranquility Bay was the perfect way to begin our time on the island, and Hill (usually the server/bartender but filling in on the town run this particular day) was truly entertaining on our way! We instantly felt welcomed, especially when we pulled up to the dock to a waiting Carlos, Isabelle, and Foodie (the newest TB dog - a GREAT addition). I had seen this place online for so long during the planning (and dreaming) process, and I expected it to be beautiful, but pictures absolutely can not do it justice. It is stunning! The beach, the restaurant/dive shop/dock, the cabanas, the kayaks, the palm trees, the hammocks, the Turtleman's shack up the beach...this place exemplifies what a tropical beach resort should look like. The best part of TB is the comfortable environment...nothing is too perfect so you don't feel like it's stuffy/stifling, the staff is the best I've seen anywhere at making you feel welcome, the other guests all become friends by the time you've been there a few hours. I am a rather shy person, and I found myself talking with everyone, even to the point of introducing myself to new faces when new guests joined us or visitors came in for lunch or dinner.

The setting of TB is perfect for water play; and if you have kids, you need to RUN to TB. The reef causes the waves to break on the far side of the reef, so the water in front of TB is easy to swim, play, and snorkel in. From the cabanas to the reef it never gets more than 8-10 feet deep and the depth comes back up by the reef, so even kids can swim/snorkel safely. The kayaks are free to use and make it so easy to paddle around or tie-up on a mooring buoy and hop in. If you are lucky, you may be joined by manatees! The food at TB was amazing...especially handy since there's only a few options up that way. We happily ate every meal there but one while in San Pedro after a snorkel trip. Each day began with a delicious free breakfast. The gals in the kitchen know what they are doing...pork tenderloin, great fish dishes, and the best coconut ice cream I've ever had!!

The cabanas are great, too. We had a 1 bedroom with a loft and the BR had air, a nice change from our time in the jungle and a welcome break on our few buggy days. If I had anything at all negative to say about TB it would be that I would like to see some updates and some more attention to detail in the cabanas. I don't expect the Ritz and I would never want it to be upgraded to the point of being too fancy, but given the nightly rate, I'd expect a sink with a stopper somewhere and lighting that isn't so harsh along with some other minor details that would be an easy fix and not a distraction to an otherwise perfect setting. That said, however, when I am luckily enough to make it back to Belize (we agreed that we'd return for our 10th anniversary if we haven't made it back by then), I will head straight back to TB and will recommend it to anyone and everyone I know who may ever go to Belize. The staff, the setting, the food, the beach, the remoteness, the community atmosphere...pure Tranquility!!!

Room Tip: The lower the cabana #, the closer you'll be the restaurant/dock which may block your view. we h...
5  Thank jgnteach
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My wife and I loved TBR. The location is so key for what we were looking for.

A World class reef we could swim to
Away from the noisy tourist stop of San Pedro. The beach is actually a beach unlike other resorts on tge Caye. There is no boat traffic. I caught bonefish right in front of our cabanas. The prevailing wind was so relaxing as it put us to sleep on the beach.

Insider tip:

Buy beer and rum in San Pedro before you take your ferry to TBR. The cabanas have mini fridges and it was crucial to be able to have bold beer on the porch each evening before walking to dinner.

Definitely go to Hol Chan to snorkel. It is better than any carribean spots.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Rushman18
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We came to tranquility bay at the end of our trip to belize. This was the perfect way to plan our trip. We did all the crazy adventure jungle stuff in San ignacio first, then we went to caye caulker and did all the diving/snorkeling and we came to tranquility bay to just chill out. And that's exactly what we did. It was incredible. The beach is wonderful, perfect for evening strolls. The rooms were fabulous and have incredible views of the water. I took a picture with my phone and it honestly reminded me of the stock photos that come loaded on your computer.

The food was amazing. The staff was even better. Each day we woke up, had a great (FREE!) breakfast and then headed to the beach or out snorkeling. I have never been so relaxed in all my life.

The resort is 12 miles from San Pedro, so it's definitely secluded. Don't come here expecting to go out to dinner in town (you don't need to... the food here is so great, you won't miss anything). When we were headed back to catch our flight, we walked through SP a bit... and I'm glad we were so secluded. I wouldn't have wanted to be that close to all the chaos anyway.

I would recommend this place WHOLE HEARTEDLY to any couple, family or anyone looking for their own slice of heaven.

Room Tip: All the cabanas are very nice... the budget traveler's room is actually a great room, just on th...
2  Thank kcj523
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Low key to say the least, but just what we were looking for. Everything you want they set up for you; Diving, Snorkeling, Fishing...and it's usually just you and the captain. The diving was exceptional and they have the best beach on Ambergris too, white sand for a few miles north of the property. It's a long boat ride (we never actually went back to town) and there are only about 10 cabanas, so it's a small resort and you get to know your neighbors. The cabanas are rustic, but nice, just don't expect a flat screen. The restaurant's TV was down too, but it was easy to forget about that thanks to the location. The service was off the charts, from the dive master to the bartenders (Hill is the man), everyone was eager to make our vacation awesome. The restaurant on site was really the only one around, but the food was beyond great. The whole trip was perfect. There's no pool, but you can make up for that by drinking at the bar, jumping off the dock, showering off in the outdoor shower, then drinking again at the bar. This is why you come to Belize.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple