“Absolutely Amazing!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Ambergris Caye
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at Tranquility Bay for 8 nights from August 24 through September 1. Our boat ride to the resort was rough due to the bad weather, but we survived! We saw a dolphin on the way to the resort which was really cool. Upon arrival, Katherine, the manager, and her staff, met us on the dock with a refreshing rum punch for us in hand. Katherine walked us to our room (budget traveler's room) and provided us with all the information that we needed to know about the resort, restaurant, activities, etc. Our luggage was delivered promptly to our room. We were impressed by how quickly and well organized everything was handled.

We stayed in the budget traveler's room, which we absolutely loved. It was perfect for the two of us. It has a comfy king size bed, a kitchenette with a small fridge, microwave, coffee pot (coffee, sugar, and creamer provided - we loved this!) a sink, and a huge counter space. Their is also plenty of seating in the room as there is a sofa, a chair, and a coffee table. The bathroom is a good size and the water pressure in the shower is awesome. Shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel is included in a dispenser in case you forget yours at home. The room has a/c and a remote to control it. We had no complaints at the a/c at all. It worked extremely well. The housekeepers, Elda and Karina, did an amazing job cleaning the room and providing fresh towels daily. They were so nice to talk to and joke around with.

There is one restaurant/bar at the resort. The food is not fancy, nor is it 5 star, however, it is very good and there is something for everyone. Our favorite meal was the fish tacos. The coconut shrimp was also very good. My husband requesting fried fish filet (not on the menu), and the cooks prepared it for him. It was delicious! I think it would be a great addition to their menu. He also requested garlic shrimp and they prepared that as well, which was great. We ate most of our meals at the resort, but skipped lunch a few times as we brought food and snacks from home. Breakfast was included with our stay. It was very good. The waitstaff, Cesar and Anita, did an excellent job through our entire stay. They were quick and super friendly. We enjoyed talking to them. They were so friendly and always had a smile on their face. Cesar makes some really good drinks, too. His sea grape mojitos were delicious! He also made me a dirty banana drink that was so good. The cooks were the sweetest and friendliest ladies. They were always smiling.

The resort was not full when we were there (we didn't mind as we pretty much had the entire place to ourselves!) and we wanted to go snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan. They normally only go when they have at least 4 people booked, however, they made special accommodations for my husband and I to go since there was nobody else to join us. This was definitely the highlight of our trip. We are still talking about it. Yemin, the dive master, and Winfield, the captain, took us out on one of the smaller boats. I cannot say enough about Yemin. He is the best snorkeling guide ever! He made us feel very comfortable. My husband is not a strong swimmer and gets very nervous being in deep water, however, he did well with Yemin as our guide. Yemin pointed out several types of marine life. At Hol Chan, we saw so much marine life. We saw 3 huge sea turtles, a baby nurse shark, string rays, a great barracuda, 2 green moray eels (the coolest thing ever!), parrotfish, hogfish, lobster, Christmas tree worms, and butterflyfish (I told Yemin that they were my favorite fish, so he pointed a few of them out to me - very cool!). Shark Ray Alley was cool, too. We swam with tons of nurse sharks and stingrays. I can't wait to go back and do this all over again!

The beach and grounds at Tranquility Bay is spectacular. The water is clear and is great for snorkeling right off of the beach. There are tons of coconut trees. Hugo, the maintenance staff member, cut fresh coconuts for us and even made us a giant jug of coconut water to keep in our fridge in the room. He is seriously the nicest guy and most hardworking guy we have ever met. We really enjoyed talking to him and anything and everything. We even went snorkeling with his 13 year old son. He showed us some cool snorkeling spots just north of the resort. We had so much fun.

The resort is very remote as it is about 14 miles from San Pedro. There is nothing within walking distance, however, you can take a stroll up the beach. One late afternoon, we took a walk and came across Elda, the housekeeper. She took a walk with us and told us all about the area and how it is living there. During our walk, we saw a stingray swim up to shore that my husband was fascinated by. Elda got the biggest kick out of this because while she and I continued walking, my husband stayed behind checking out the stingray! It's not everyday we get to see a stingray up close and personal, so it was pretty awesome. :)

Tranquility Bay is not fancy at all. There is no night life, no loud music, etc., however, it is exactly what we were looking for. At night, there are lights in the water right below the restaurant/bar where you can see tarpon and stingrays feeding. We became friends with all of the staff very quickly. We enjoyed talking and joking around with all of them. My husband even made some friends with some of the locals who live nearby and hang out at the resort. Everyone was super nice. We did not want to leave and are already planning our next trip to Tranquility Bay sometime next year. Katherine, the resort manager, is very pleasant and will accommodate just about any request. All of the staff who we talked to had nothing but good things to say about her, which is always nice to hear. A very special thank you goes out to everyone at the resort including Katherine, Hugo, Cesar, Anita, Yemin, Elda, and Karina, and everyone else who we missed. The staff is what really makes this resort so wonderful. Make sure that you tip them well - they all work very hard to make your vacation extra special. We miss everyone at Tranquility Bay and plan to return next year! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Mesquita92

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I had long wanted to visit Belize. We came to TBR by using Trip Advisor and searching web sites. It's secluded and intimate nature was attractive to us. We are not fond of crowds, nightlife and ultra-fancy, ultra-pricey services. But TBR was amazing. It is not five star. It is not elegant and fancy. It is very real, very friendly, very comfortable and nearly perfect in our humble opinion. We want go back.
We arrived for our two week stay in mid June during a tropical depression, nearly a hurricane. We were forced to overnight in San Pedro because the TBR boats were grounded and the boat trip would be unsafe. TBR arranged for and paid for our accommodation at an adequate hotel in SP. The next day we were whisked to TBR in a bumpy, soaking ride and met the incredible Panni. That first day was spent acclimating and hoping the weather would change. And it did. We then began our vacation. First, my wife had forgotten her blood pressure meds. Kathryn was an angel and arranged for us to get her meds, without prescription, at pretty much the same cost as home in San Pedro. Thanks Kathryn She was also our coordinator to multiple tours we took to zipline, cavetubing, the Mayan ruins. So helpful. We also did the Hol Chan shark ray alley, Mexico Rocks (awesome Belizian piranha!) and I did a half-day deep sea fishing with Panni (two grouper, three barracuda, a mackerel and some sunburnt legs...not bad). We were very busy. And had plenty of do nothing days as well. Having only one restaurant to eat at was a concern at first but the menu is varied, plenty and delicious. Sometimes the service could be slow if everyone came to eat at the same time...but what the heck. Have a drink and watch the rays and other fish off the per at night. We were also there during Lobster Festival, a big event in San Pedro. My wife loved the fact we could just walk out our front door and start snorkeling as the reef is right there just minutes away. The local iguanas and hermit crabs are interesting and we really never experienced mosqitoes till the very last day. And they are prepared for that. The staff is friendly, laid back and more than ready to help. We met some nice people. And came home relaxed, rested. What more could you want.....if you like to fish, this place and Panni are the best. Another couple was down to attempt a "grand slam" with his fly pole and spent some big bucks getting a special tour guide out of san pedro. Funny thing though, he got two of his three fish(tarpon, permit) just off the dock there at TBR restaurant. And Panni knows how to fish it all. Keep that in mind if you are big fishing fan. One minor complaint - beer selection is very limited in Belize. Not their fault though. So we drank the bar specials. A fun problem solved by Coconut mojitos. Next time we go we plan to take advantage of the PADI scuba shop and get certified to enjoy the reef even more. Blue Hole isn't far from there too for scuba freaks. I'd be glad to answer any questions. Just love the place and the people there. You won't be sorry if you go there.

Room Tip: there are only ten places, they are all good, the beach is fabulous, ask Hugo to cut a fresh coconut...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank quickcda
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Felt I had to write a review about TB. We spent a week here for rest and relaxation as part of an 18 day trip to Belize. Following on from four days trekking in the rainforest, it was just about everything we could have wished for. Because of its remoteness, there is no choice but to relax. As has been said before, the cabanas are right on the beach so you get the sea breezes during the day. We had air-conditioning in our bedroom and large fans elsewhere. There are windows all around the large living area and no curtains or shutters, so there is very little privacy at night when the lights are on. My one criticism would be the lighting. No lamps at all in the living room - only the bright central lights if you wanted to read, which we did. So we tended to adjourn to the air-conditioned bedroom in the evening where there were bedside lamps. The accommodation could do with a bit of an upgrade but this really didn't bother us at all.

The restaurant stands out over the water and the tarpin come in at night to get fed. I would say it was quirky but again could do with a bit of mood lighting for atmosphere. The food was great, not fancy but very tasty, more like good home cooking. Lots of sea food which was right up our street. Our compliments go out to the cook, and to all the staff at the resort who were all very friendly and helpful. Our special thanks must go to Yemen who took us out on a trip to Mexico Rocks where we enjoyed wonderful snorkelling with a wide variety of fish, including southern stingrays and nursing sharks! It was truly such a thrill. The snorkelling from the beach was good too. The easiest way was to take a kayak out and tie up to a buoy, as sometimes the current was quite strong for swimming. There is also a lot of sea grass nearer to shore.

My last mention must be of Catherine, the manager who was excellent. I actually took an infection near the end of our stay here and she arranged a doctor's appointment for the next morning in San Pedro and transport there and back by boat and taxi. She could not have done more to alleviate the worry of becoming unwell in a foreign country in such a remote part of the Caye. Luckily, armed with antibiotics, the following day we set off for the jungle again on the next stage of our travels. We will definitely never forget our time here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Our family travelled to TBR July 11 to 26. We had a great vacation. We stayed in cabana 8 and had no issues. The cabanas have a microwave, bar fridge and AC in the bedrooms. We arranged to have cases of water, beer and pop in our room before we arrived and very glad we did. The staff is friendly and helpful with any needs you might have. The manager Katherine is great. She will help make your stay at TBR very comfortable and help with all your off resort activities. She planned our trip to shark ray ally, cave tubbing, lamanai, trips to San Pedro, fishing trips and snorkelling trips. She even had a piñata and birthday party set up for one of my daughters. We just signed for our meals and off resort activities and paid at the end of our trip. No need to carry large amounts of money with you. Weather was great we had light showers every few days and only one rainout day. The snorkelling is very good right out in front of the beach, only a 2 min swim in 5-8 feet of water. You will also see lots of fish and even eels around the restaurant piles. The reef is very easy to kayak out to, and they have many places to tie off your kayak. In many of those spots it's only 4 feet deep. The water is very clear and warm. I would recommend hiring Panny for the day, he is great. He takes you fishing, snorkelling, sight seeing and will take you to shore and cook your catch for a wonderful shore lunch. The kids are still talking about the time spent with him. He is very funny and great with kids. The food at the restaurant is very tasty and we had no issues. With such a small resort you get to know the staff and other guests which makes it feel like you are with family. Everyone knows your name and takes the time to get to know you. If you want a party pit this is not the place. If you want a relaxing vacation with all the activities but not the crowds this place is for you. I would recommend TBR and can't wait until we travel back. Great people and a great country.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Dean T
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Four of us went to Tranquility Bay Resort in early July 2013 for 7 days, for our 30th and 25th anniversaries. We picked a great place to relax and have fun. We had the beach, bar and restaurant to ourselves most of the time. The place is beautiful. We stayed in the Prime Minister's Suite. It was perfect. It had great King beds, awesome deck upstairs, and air conditioning throughout the unit. After dinner we would fish from the dock and hooked up with some big Tarpon, bone fish, and other reef fish. If you are going to fish, bring some shrimp like flies (Crazy Charlies), and split shots. Daniel, the local boy is very helpful with the fishing. We took the kayaks out snorkeling, fishing, and even found 4 Manatees and swam with them one day. We cannot say enough about Tranquility Bay Resort. The staff was so nice and accommodating. We even had an anniversary dinner on the beach. Thank you Kathryn, Panny, Caesar, Jacob, and all of the Tranquility Bay staff that made our vacation the best one ever.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CARL W
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We just returned from an extended family vacation Sunday, July 20. There were 5 adults in our party, no children. For years I have been looking for a quiet place with turquoise water, snorkeling from shore, and a friendly environment to play and withdraw from the world for a few days. I found Tranquility Bay through TripAdvisor, then my husband researched it through youtube. We read every review on this site, and we were very impressed. When I told my sister what we had found, she asked to come with her son. What a wonderful time we all had! A hammock between palm trees to rest and relax, beautiful tropical fish just a few yards away, actual living coral (much better than we have found elsewhere). But the most important part about Tranquility Bay is its staff! They are all so kind and interested in providing you with an unforgettable vacation.

We traveled during rainy season and expected that the resort would not be very busy. But we found that many of the travelers were here at Tranquility for their third and fourth times. After staying here for a week, we can understand why Tranquility Bay received the 2013 Award of Excellence. We have absolutely no regrets about our stay here, and will come back in the future. As my sister said on our last day, "This has been my best vacation ever!" I agree. Many thanks to Tranquility Manager Katherine, Jacob, Panny, Anita, Cesar, Hugo, Elda, and everyone else. The food was wonderful, but all of you made our stay transformative. I am returning to work with a huge smile on my face and incredible memories.

Room Tip: Cabanas with higher numbers have the best view, but the wifi is by the office. If you want the Prim...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AZUhl2
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Tranquility Bay Resort on Ambergris Caye is a wonderful place to enjoy Belize's coral reef. We stayed in the Prime Minister cabana, and really enjoyed the beautiful and comfortable lodgings, and the second story balcony. The water was thirty steps away from the front door. From the beach at the resort, you can easily snorkel to the amazing reef. We saw barracuda, angelfish, parrotfish, and nurse sharks, to name a few of my favorites. Guests at the resort also have unlimited use of sea kayaks. The dive shop (PADI) can outfit you with a mask/snorkel/fins, as well as dive equipment. The wonderful staff can arrange dive, snorkel, and fishing trips, as well as trips inland to explore Belize. You can enjoy an amazing meal at The Aquarium restaurant. I am still craving the Caribbean fish, Belizean chicken, and rum cake!! I recommend this resort to any family looking to have a fun, relaxing, unforgettable reef experience! Thank you Tranquility Bay Resort, for
amazing memories!