“great place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
Ranked #25 of 57 Hotels in Ambergris Caye
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We loved it here. When I go again I will book slightly later.. in Mid January there was still some rain. Wonderful snorkeling.. Pany is a great guide.. bone fishing.. kayaking.. we stayed in the budget travelers room. Coconut Mojito is to die for… trust me. It was wonderful! Service was good… and there were nice touches for their guests.. like a book with your name on it when you arrived with tours and information inside… free use of kayaks.. lots of ocean life. GO!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rnman

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My friends and I didn't stay here but our resort arranged a boat to take us to spend the day on Tranquility Bay Resort's beach. It's a beach paradise! The cabanas are adorable, lined up and brightly colored just steps from the beach. Hammocks and loungers available for anyone who shows up and coconuts everywhere, we even got to drink a few thanks to a nice gentleman. The only place on the island where you can snorkel from the beach and at $10 for the entire day for gear, it's a bargain. I'd like to go back and stay here!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We were looking for a beautiful but simple beach resort in Belize where we could snorkel right from the beach. We definitely found it at Tranquility Bay, which lives up to its name. Accessible only by boat from San Pedro, the small resort consists of a few bungalows on the beach, a bar/restaurant/dive shop on a small wooden pier, and some palm trees and hammocks. The Belize barrier reef is right there, one can swim or kayak to it from the beach. The reef in front of the resort is not 100% alive and thriving, but does support a great variety of marine life. We took a half-day snorkelling expedition by fishing boat to the Bacalar Chico marine reserve a few miles up the beach, and the reef there was spectacular!
The staff at Tranquility are exceptionally friendly and helpful. If you're looking for luxury or great dining, this is not the place, but if you want to get away from it all and experience the reef, I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 16Anna1963
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This resort is nearly a half hour by boat from San Pedro and I would sincerely recommend it to anyone who wants to be as far from a town as possible without sacrificing air conditioning! Taking into consideration the seclusion of this resort, one must understand the difficulty of accessing everyday things like water, food, and supplies. That said, the resort is in need of some updating, but I can understand why it's hard to do so. Ultimately, the room was provided with a really comfortable king size bed, air conditioning, and diligent room cleaning which is all we really required. The people and the seclusion was the main draw and it totally lived up to our expectations.
So here's the nitty gritty. We stayed in the budget travelers room, it was a mere twenty feet farther from the beach than the other rooms, for 10 days. The weather was not very cooperative, but three to four days of calm sunny weather was enough to book some mainland tours. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Snorkeling right in front of the resort is a definite must. I don't think it would have been possible at any other resort because of the boat traffic farther south and the sea grass. We brought our own snorkels because we are a little picky, but we saw they rented them out for a small fee. They also lent us a fishing rod to fish from the dock for fun. We released everything but were told they would cook up any fish we caught.
The tours that they offer seem to be some of the best tour operators we've encountered. They were so knowledgable and seemed to genuinely enjoy what they are doing. We snorkeled hol chan with Yemen and toured the Caves, zip linned, and Ruins with Babar and Carlitos. The later included an abundance of rum drinks irreverently titled "panty rippers". Would do again in a heart beat.
We stopped in town on the way in to pick up 4 liters of rum and a large quantity of pineapple juice, was a great money saver as 1 liter of rum was about 8 dollars and equivalent to one drink at the bar. The restaurant was great, really wished they had whole fried fish on the menu because of the abundance of seafood.
Thanks for the wonderful time Ms. Catherine.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crystalene
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Recently I decided to take my family to see coral reefs, one of the Earth's great and endangered wonders. I heard Belize had amazing reefs back in the '80s while traveling in Quintana Roo, but couldn't get there at the time. With this in mind I slowly scanned Google satellite images of the Belizean coast. The distance between the beach and barrier reef varied - it varied from a hundred feet or so to miles and miles. Tranquility Bay Resort appeared to be the ONLY resort in Belize where you could wade directly to the barrier reef (please see the attached image).

When we arrived we found this to be true! Except you don't need to wade... they have scattered seaworthy kayaks along the beach in front of the cabanas, and provided mooring buoys out by the barrier reef. The reef is alive and teaming with life. One guest snorkeled with a manatee near reef channel South by Southwest of the resort in the image.

Everything else was fine: rooms, food, service, and the people were exceptionally nice. We availed ourselves of many of the activities including a trip to Mayan temples at Altun Ha, fishing, snorkeling, and in fact my wife and I became PADI certified!

I could wax on about the coolness of this place - but I'll finish here by saying if you want to experience the great barrier reef of Belize, there is almost certainly no better place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chitistone
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This was my first time to Belize and we clearly made the right choice staying a week here. Having reef access directly out front made the whole week for me. Snorkel, kayak, scuba, swim lounge, then repeat. The day excursions are really good as well. Visiting Bacalar Chico is a must. Exploring the pristine reef, all alone for miles is something impossible in most destinations. Basil Jones Canyon and Basil Jones Aquarium dives right outside the reef were both amazing. Three minutes and you are in the water. I went out with the great dive master and captain and it is really some of the best diving in the Caribbean. Scientists and students worldwide come to this area of the Caye to study the reef.

The cabanas are really great and accentuate the natural environment. The restaurant served an energizing breakfast, plenty of fresh seafood options and variety of good drinks. They even set up a wonderful family style New Years Eve dinner in the sand. This is the real Caribbean and very unique. Everyone is kind, authentic and do everything to make your visit what it is. Highly recommended place for adventure seekers and those who love engaging in local culture.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rhoughta
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I, and our 12 and 14-year old sons spent a week here and it was wonderful! The resort is beautiful and clean. The staff was personable, knowledgeable and went out of their way to meet our needs . The weather wasn't great, but that didn't stop us from fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving and generally enjoying the water and the reef.

The food was fantastic - I can't say enough about the shrimp ceviche!! Best in Belize - and try it spicy! My sons loved the seafood, but also ate cheeseburgers galore.

We'll be back for sure. Great opportunity to reconnect with your children as it's very quiet and remote. You're forced to rely on one another for entertainment and conversation. I loved that.

I recommend taking a lap-top and a few movies, a deck of cards or game you like - just in case the rain lasts too long.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family