“Feel your stress melt away at Tranquility Bay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
Ranked #28 of 57 Hotels in Ambergris Caye
Reviewed 1 December 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a week in November 2010. After a beautiful 30 minute boat ride along the coast of Ambergris Caye we arrived at paradise: Tranquility Bay. The staff was ready to greet us and brought our luggage to the cabana while we enjoyed a cocktail and food at the Tackle Box bar & restaurant. The lodging was comfortable and well appointed with a fridge, microwave and coffee pot. The bed was comfortable and the fact that the room was air-conditioned was wonderful . My favorite part of the cabana was how the front doors opened wide, inviting the beach into my living room. Apart from sleeping we didn't spend much time in the cabana, not when the beautiful white sand beach beckoned us! There were plenty of cushioned lounge chairs and hammocks for us to use and we spent a lot of time just enjoying the sun. The reef keeps the waves relatively calm on the beach and we enjoyed swimming and snorkeling in the turquoise blue water. The dive shop rents snorkel equipment and we took advantage of this all week, snorkeling everyday. If you've never tried snorkeling, this is the place to do it! The depth of the water doesn't get more than 5-6 feet and we could swim out to the reef and still touch sandy bottom if needed. The staff arranged for a day trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley and I would definitely recommend this trip for we saw huge grouper, barracuda, nurse sharks and large sting-rays which were amazing. Jamal was our snorkeling guide and he was fantastic, diving down to point out eels and bringing sea cucumbers to the surface so we could touch them before he returned them to the ocean bottom.
My husband & I enjoyed all the food at the Tackle Box. The menu is heavy on seafood but also has American favorites such as cheeseburgers & fries as well as pork chops. Try the hummus and shrimp ceviche! Delicious. Hill was our "go to" guy and offered fantastic service. Some of the other staff were brand new to the resort but everyone we met was friendly and approachable. Isabelle & Carlos, the managers, were welcoming and knowledgeable and helped make our stay more comfortable. They were willing to plan day trips such as visiting Mayan ruins, zip lining and cave tubing among other activities. They also offered us an opportunity to go into San Pedro for an afternoon. This was a perfect resort for unplugging from the "real world" and getting down to the basics of rest and relaxation.

2  Thank fightplaque

Reviewed 27 November 2010

The Resort is 12 miles from town. NO WAY to get there for a day trip. Management makes you feel like it is such trouble to take you into town...and if you hitch a ride in, you need to be ready shortly after arrival because the boat is NOT waiting for you. It's a 40 minute ride from resort...and bumpy. You are quite HONESTLY trapped at this location.
The resort has a decent restaruant the " Tackle BOX " BUT it is the ONLY place to eat....and they charge WHATEVER they want...because you have NOWHERE ELSE to go for meals. Food was Average....when they had what we ordered. OFTEN...and I mean OFTEN they were out of something on the menu. " Succulent Stuff Pork Loin " OUT ! and they never had it all week. PineApple Juice...NOT TODAY !!! French Fries...NOPE. Orange juice....Nada !!!! it was like that all week. We were NOT the only people unhappy with Tranquility bay...I am sure you will see more negative reviews...BEWARE. Price gouging is in full swing here.
The front office is run by a YOUNG couple. No postings of daily events. No day trip planning. You want to do something...you better know what it is because they will not assist you. They are too busy with showing you their new Baby. Inexperienced !!!! and it shows.
SUZIE, the ONLY waitress at the ONLY restaruant...is so bad.....Horrible does not quite do her justice. I am away from the table speaking with a guest, and she goes to the table and ask my wife if we are ready to ORDER ????? I'm NOT there ????
ALEX, busy texting. No time for customers.
For CUSTOMER SERVICE.....it was a very disappointing trip...we were happy to leave.
" Hill and Jamaal were the only bright spots. Hardworking and friendly !!!! Bravo Boys !!!
BEWARE - There is NOTHING near the resort. Prices are very high. And many times they did not have certain things that you might reaaly want on the menu. ONE time I ask SUZIE, " What DONT you have today ??? She shows me the LUNCH menu...and says that. We order the " SUCCULENT stuffed PORK LOIN " That the staff HIGHLY recommended....and SUZIE say's " OH we dont have that......I just asked her 2 minutes earlier !!!!

Stay away, you will enjoy yourself more if you stay at Xanidu or Las Terrazas.

The snorkling was not that good....and the DIVE MASTER was terrible. Never explained where we were going or what we might see. When asked, he shruged and said " We'll see .
Dont say I did not warn you !!!! I read all the reviews before I decided.....and was very disappointed that NONE really were correct....Seems like the STAFF may be writing these...NOT the guest !!!!

9  Thank Poppbo
TBR-Manager, Manager at Tranquility Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2010

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. Isabelle and I and our staff have had a streak of good reviews since we started managing the resort, but you can't please everyone. Yes all of our reviews are written by our clients! I must say I am astounded by the negativity of this review as the gentleman in question seemed quite happy while he was here and therefore never gave us a chance to explain or correct any of the problems. In fact he even told Hill our bartender that he would be back.

Yes we are 12 miles from town and we try to make that quite clear to our clients before they arrive at the resort. The water taxi does not come as far as Tranquility Bay Resort so we try to offer the service for our clients. We charge $10 one way to town on our boats when they are going, this is the same price the water taxi charges from half way to town. Our boats do not run on a fixed schedule and usually only go to town with client arrivals/departures or tours. That being said we try to work with clients and if we have clients arriving we will go in early so that the person has the time they want in town. If our boat schedule does not fit your needs we will also charter a captained boat starting at $75 U.S. For daylight hours to San Pedro based on availability. (I don't believe I have ever told anyone it wasn't available)

The duration of the stay in question we were never once out of Orange Juice or Pineapple juice. I have confirmed with Hill that they received O.J. Every morning and in their alcoholic beverages during the afternoons. That being said we are located on a Tropical Island and yes sometimes the stores run out of produce. I was unable to purchase Basil for almost a week therefore making the stuffed pork tenderloin unavailable. We did change the type of our French Fries from typical shoe string style to potato wedges during this period. I was informed by the staff that some of the clients did not like this. I tried to get more shoe string style fries but the store was out! The wedges were available.

We do not gouge our clients. In fact when we took over management of the resort we lowered all of the prices in the restaurant so that they are equivalent to prices in town for similar restaurants. Again we are on a tropical island and food prices are quite expensive due to shipping. I might mention that the reviewer is living in Central America and not DC as his username suggests. We also hope to have our menu on the website soon! Belize prices are generally higher than Central America yet cheaper than the rest of the Caribbean. The client was on his first trip to Belize and yet recommends to you the reader another resort that he has never been to and is generally more expensive than we are.

All of the tours available in town are available at Tranquility Bay Resort. Some cost a little more due to the distance others are the same price. What costs you more, you save by being able to snorkel directly from the beach everyday. During the welcome speech on arrival we explain all of the tours available. The reviewer asked about a helicopter trip to the blue hole. We verified the price and told him which he then declined. We offered other options which he also declined as he seemed to really dislike the boat ride to and from town. I did not try to “push” other trips or tours as he did not seem to want to make the trip to town. He himself states that he read all of the reviews and somehow he missed the fact that we are a thrity minute boat ride from town. The snorkeling at the resort is great but you do have to get in the water to enjoy it! The client did dive once but I nor any of the staff I have questioned ever saw him out snorkeling. The week previous we had other groups of clients who would go out snorkeling for hours at a time and marveled about it.

As for our staff some of the comments were just mean. We are very happy with our staff this year although some may need a little tweaking. We will work with them to try and help them make sure customer service stays a priority. When I was making rounds of the restaurant with my new daughter I was actually asking how things were going and trying to make myself available to the clients. This would have been an appropriate time for the client to let us know that he was discontented. I asked this client daily if everything was o.k. As I try to ask all of our guests. During the day we have a baby sitter taking care of her and we don't take her out much as babies younger than 6 months are not supposed to wear sunscreen. We are more than available to our clients.

In summary Tranquility Bay Resort is not for everyone. We are not fancy, I consider it “laid back luxury”. The luxury of your private cabana on one of the nicest beaches on the island. The only resort on Ambergris Caye where you can snorkel from the beach to the reef. The boat ride to the resort is a thirty minute scenic ride inside the Meso-American Barrier Reef.

Cheers,
Carlos

Reviewed 9 November 2010

Beautiful beach, water, reef. Great food and service. Total relaxation. If you are looking for a quiet, secluded, small resort, this is it. There is no night life except for going to the restaurant/bar, and visiting with other guests. The reef is close enough to snorkel to even if you are not an expert. Shorts, bathing suits, t-shirts, and bug spray are all that is required.
The staff will set up excursions for you if you choose to leave the resort to sight see, fish, or visit the Mayan ruins.
Hill the bartender, waiter, whatever you need guy, made sure we had everything we wanted or needed. The rest of the staff was also helpful and friendly.
The ONLY complait we had was there were no fans in the restaurant/bar, which on one particularly still and buggy evening, sent us to our air conditioned room to read a book.

Reviewed 30 September 2010

Relaxing, awesome snorkeling, fantastic daily sunrise & sunset, private, secluded, swim from shore to reef in minutes, look down upon tarpon, rays, barracuda and more right off the restaurant porch/dock, friendly, attentive staff, excellent food (Sonya), excellent management (Carlos, Isabelle & their newborn), excellent service (Hill, our attentive bartender & new friend, Boat Captain Winfield, Boat Captain Harrison, Dianie, who arranged our stay with perfection from arrival to departure, Marceni, who made sure we had outstanding room service, and other staff who worked to maintain and keep the facility and beach clean during our stay. This is the best vacation we have ever had. We've been to Cancun, Cozumel, Mexico, stayed in town (San Pedro), and been numerous other places in and outside of the US but NOTHING can compare to this vacation at Tranquility Bay Resort. And, we were able to keep within a budget, including flights, of under $3,500. Needless to say, we will be going back to Tranquility Bay contrary to other destination plans made prior to this vacation. When you've had the best, it's hard to want to go anywhere else. To everyone at Tranquility Bay Resort, you made our vacation week the most heavenly week of our lives. Thank; we love you and will see you again soon!! Bob & Brenda

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bob_and_Brenda_10
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I went to Tranquility Bay with my husband and another married couple in August. We stayed the first 2 nights in town to experience that end of the island and then went to Tranquilty to just relax. We couldn't have picked a more perfect place. It's as far from the hustle and bustle of our daily life as we could get. I think the beach and water is the prettiest on Ambergris. You can walk way out into the water without going through sea grass and the color is beautiful. With the many palm trees on the beach, it looks like a post card. The bungalows are very attractrive with alot of wood and colorful furniture and pictures. The bar/restaurant was a great place to hang out and meet the staff and other visitors. Instead of TV we had a live aquarium off the porch of the restaurant. We would stand out there with our boat drinks and watch marlin, barracuda and many stingrays float by. We also enjoyed taking the sea kyacks out to a beautiful patch of shallow light blue water not too far from the resort. The staff was some of the friendliest I've encountered anywhere. Hill the bartender was great and took superb care of us. He wouldn't let us life a finger for ourselves. We had a substitute manager while we were there who was so wonderful she became one of the family. The usual managers, Carlos and Isabelle had just had a baby (who we got to meet before we left). They also were wonderful. I was extrememly impressed with the food which I enjoyed much more than one of the fanciest resorts in town. They even let us try the food they fixed for the staff which I told them should have gone on the menu it was so good. The last night we were there they had a beach bar b que with a bon fire and a fire dancer. It was a great way to end the trip. We are already trying to plan a trip back there for the winter. If you want night life and shopping, this may not be your spot. If you want beautiful surroundings, wonderful people, great food and drink and time to just enjoy with your spouse/friends, this is your place.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachgoers21
Reviewed 20 August 2010

OK people, if you're looking to get in the water and snorkel in one of the best places on earth you found it. This is the only place on the island (and just about anywhere else on the planet) where you can snorkel right off the beach. Amazing clear water and all the sea life you could want right there. We saw Barracuda, tarpon, rays, lobsters, crabs and tons of colorful fish! Grab a kayak or just go right off the dock at the restaurant. Most anywhere else you'll need to charter a boat or join a group boat trip to get to the good snorkeling. Here's its free right out your door, AWESOME!

We also went fishing, chilled out on the beach and enjoyed our favorite food in the world right there at the restaurant/bar. Its great just to have one place to go for everything, that's vacation. Can't make it clear enough what an awesome place this is, its a stand out in all of Belize. San Pedro is bustling, Tranquility Bay is paradise. Go here and enjoy one of the best places on earth!

Oh yeah and the folks who run the place and all the staff are amazing. The sweetest people. They make your stay into an experience you won't want to miss.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jrsturges
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Super friendly management and staff...willing to go the extra mile to make you feel at home and have an amazing experience ! Breathtaking views, privacy galore, everything you need in a vacation spot and more. Went here for a union ceremony and it could not have been more perfect! Love it and will be returning!