“It lived up to its reputation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ambergris Caye
Tranquility Bay Resort
Ranked #22 of 56 Hotels in Ambergris Caye
illinois
“It lived up to its reputation”
Reviewed 8 January 2011

After a lot of research and bothering other reviewers with our questions this appeared to be a pretty place with acual snorkeling from shore. It is. After Carlos picked us up at the water taxi in San Pedro we checked into the budget room which was a nice studio and the great price allowed us to stay 6 nites..It is behind a cabana so you do have have to walk an extra 15 feet to get to the lounger under a palm tree (just like in the pictures). With the room you get a great breakfast and as suggested we brought snacks for lunch. Gallon water jugs are avilable at the bar for a great price. The bar has a great happy hour (thank you Mr. Hill and Alex).and at nite there is a constant underwater parade of schooling fish, tarpon, and rays. The snorkeling at the resort was nice at our leisure with lots of fish and decent coral. It was a little intimidating to swim over the break in the reef and see the bottom about 50 feet down. The highlight of the trip was a combo tour with a nice couple we met there. They wanted to fish and we wanted to see the Mayan canal nearby. Jamal put us together in a small boat and we first all went to an empty area (seeing dolphins on the way) which had incredeble areas of waving coral. Then off to the canal where some manatees were present. Right in the canal our friends fished and you could see the red snapper before they even bit. Finished the trip to the empty west side of the canal and visited a looming unexcavated Mayn ruin. The day finished with a shore lunch of grilled fish and vegtables, tortillas, fresh coconut and of course Belikan beer at the pretty little ranger station. Saw a nice sunset on the way back and still made the end of happy hour. Not being real hungry we split one of their fine dinners which they allways allow with a "no problem man". To top it off the nite star show was spectacular as there are hardly any lites at the far north end of the island.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank gregIllinois

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We were so fortunate to be able to stay at Tranquility Bay Resort for our 2nd visit to Belize. I was blown away by the beauty and location of this resort. It was so peaceful and relaxing. The staff was equally as wonderful. I can't say enough about Carlos and Isabel the managers. They met us at the dock when we arrived in San Pedro and from there on couldn't have been any more helpful. Everyday they would make it a point to come and find us to see if there was anything we needed.

The food in the restaurant was delicious, so good in fact that I had to force myself to try something other then my favorites at every meal. My husband went fishing one morning, when he got back they cleaned the fish and we were able to pick any way that we wanted them cooked for lunch. We settled on the fish tacos which are making my mouth water just thinking about them.

Susan our server was so sweet and accomidating. Hill and Alex, and Jamal were so personable and fun to be around. They always kept things on a high note. It was great to wake up in the morning, go eat breakfast and get greeted by the staff that we now consider our Belizian family.

The views were beautiful, beds were so comfortable and the cabanas were equipt with everything that we needed.

I would highly recommend this resort and can't wait to go back.
A huge thank you goes out to the staff of Tranquility Bay for making another stay in Belize the best!
Jeanne W.

2 Thank Jeanne18
Florida
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We decided this would be a great getaway vacation, with day trips to ruins and other cays or the mainland, and it worked out well. The managers were a very friendly, efficient couple who made our stay enjoyable, and the day trips seamless. And, the rooms/cabanas are very comfortable and clean.

The restaurant here has an array of dishes that were very good for all meals, and we did not even get to try everything there in a week's stay. The waitress, Susan was very accommodating to how we wanted things and gave us excellent service. When she was not there, we depended on Hill as our waiter, and he too, went way beyond our expectations with a special lunch and birthday cake over- looking the ocean!

The snorkeling/kayaking right off the beach is spectacular. We saw turtle, eel, barracuda, tarpon, , anemone, several types of coral and sponges, crabs, angelfish, and all kinds of colorful, tropical fish. And, you can go for long walks/runs on the deserted beaches for miles.

Thanks to everyone at Tranquility! You truly delivered a tranquil and fun vacation to both of us!

Stayed December 2010
1 Thank borderlover
Raleigh
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We just returned from 5 nights at the beautiful Tranquility Bay Resort (TBR), where we had such a good time that we did not want to return home. We first wanted to comment that the recent negative review on trip advisor did not at all reflect what we experienced on our stay at Tranquility Bay which had a fabulous location, snorkeling and accommodating staff.

We thoroughly enjoyed the lovely boat ride from San Pedro to TBR. Although it is a solid 30 min ride, the water is beautifully blue and it is a great way to see the coast of Ambergris Caye. We did not find it particularly bumpy.

The snorkeling, beach and location are the highlights of the resort. TBR is located in the Marine Park and is the only place where you can walk out your door into the water and snorkel on the reef. The fish, coral and other marine life in this portion of the reef are really fantastic. The beach is lovely and because of it's distance from town is very private. Often we were the only ones on the beach enjoying the beautiful view of the coconut trees, beach and waves crashing over the reef.

The staff were fabulous!! They went out of their way to accommodate us and make sure we were happy with every detail of our stay and it is clear the managers, Isabelle and Carlos want nothing more than there guests to be happy. For example, we scheduled a trip to the blue hole which leaves VERY early in the morning. Three of the staff were up at around 4 to make sure we were up, out the door and Gordo(the fabulous boat captain) drove us to our pick up location at 4:50am. The trip was great and the stars at that time of the morning are worth getting up for!

Hill and Alex are the excellent bartenders who not only make great drinks but are attentive, fun and always up for answering questions or contributing to conversation.

We went on a fabulous trip arranged by TBR to the north of the island where we went snorkeling, saw ruins and went fishing. The staff really made the trip. For lunch we went to the ranger station where the multitude of snapper we caught was then cleaned and cooked up by the Jamal and Gordo while Mr Orlando cut coconuts and opened them for drinking and eating. The trip and lunch were AWESOME.

We did not experience price gouging of any kind and felt the prices were reasonable and fair. We also hitched a ride with outgoing guests into and out of San Pedro for shopping etc and TBR was really at our service. It can be buggy at night if the wind is low but TBR provides fans and bug spray that deal with the problem.

If you want to snorkel, enjoy a lovely beach right outside your private cabana you will not be disappointed with Tranquility Bay. I know were weren't.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nchomebase
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 December 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a week in November 2010. After a beautiful 30 minute boat ride along the coast of Ambergris Caye we arrived at paradise: Tranquility Bay. The staff was ready to greet us and brought our luggage to the cabana while we enjoyed a cocktail and food at the Tackle Box bar & restaurant. The lodging was comfortable and well appointed with a fridge, microwave and coffee pot. The bed was comfortable and the fact that the room was air-conditioned was wonderful . My favorite part of the cabana was how the front doors opened wide, inviting the beach into my living room. Apart from sleeping we didn't spend much time in the cabana, not when the beautiful white sand beach beckoned us! There were plenty of cushioned lounge chairs and hammocks for us to use and we spent a lot of time just enjoying the sun. The reef keeps the waves relatively calm on the beach and we enjoyed swimming and snorkeling in the turquoise blue water. The dive shop rents snorkel equipment and we took advantage of this all week, snorkeling everyday. If you've never tried snorkeling, this is the place to do it! The depth of the water doesn't get more than 5-6 feet and we could swim out to the reef and still touch sandy bottom if needed. The staff arranged for a day trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley and I would definitely recommend this trip for we saw huge grouper, barracuda, nurse sharks and large sting-rays which were amazing. Jamal was our snorkeling guide and he was fantastic, diving down to point out eels and bringing sea cucumbers to the surface so we could touch them before he returned them to the ocean bottom.
My husband & I enjoyed all the food at the Tackle Box. The menu is heavy on seafood but also has American favorites such as cheeseburgers & fries as well as pork chops. Try the hummus and shrimp ceviche! Delicious. Hill was our "go to" guy and offered fantastic service. Some of the other staff were brand new to the resort but everyone we met was friendly and approachable. Isabelle & Carlos, the managers, were welcoming and knowledgeable and helped make our stay more comfortable. They were willing to plan day trips such as visiting Mayan ruins, zip lining and cave tubing among other activities. They also offered us an opportunity to go into San Pedro for an afternoon. This was a perfect resort for unplugging from the "real world" and getting down to the basics of rest and relaxation.

2 Thank fightplaque
Dcusa
Reviewed 27 November 2010

The Resort is 12 miles from town. NO WAY to get there for a day trip. Management makes you feel like it is such trouble to take you into town...and if you hitch a ride in, you need to be ready shortly after arrival because the boat is NOT waiting for you. It's a 40 minute ride from resort...and bumpy. You are quite HONESTLY trapped at this location.
The resort has a decent restaruant the " Tackle BOX " BUT it is the ONLY place to eat....and they charge WHATEVER they want...because you have NOWHERE ELSE to go for meals. Food was Average....when they had what we ordered. OFTEN...and I mean OFTEN they were out of something on the menu. " Succulent Stuff Pork Loin " OUT ! and they never had it all week. PineApple Juice...NOT TODAY !!! French Fries...NOPE. Orange juice....Nada !!!! it was like that all week. We were NOT the only people unhappy with Tranquility bay...I am sure you will see more negative reviews...BEWARE. Price gouging is in full swing here.
The front office is run by a YOUNG couple. No postings of daily events. No day trip planning. You want to do something...you better know what it is because they will not assist you. They are too busy with showing you their new Baby. Inexperienced !!!! and it shows.
SUZIE, the ONLY waitress at the ONLY restaruant...is so bad.....Horrible does not quite do her justice. I am away from the table speaking with a guest, and she goes to the table and ask my wife if we are ready to ORDER ????? I'm NOT there ????
ALEX, busy texting. No time for customers.
For CUSTOMER SERVICE.....it was a very disappointing trip...we were happy to leave.
" Hill and Jamaal were the only bright spots. Hardworking and friendly !!!! Bravo Boys !!!
BEWARE - There is NOTHING near the resort. Prices are very high. And many times they did not have certain things that you might reaaly want on the menu. ONE time I ask SUZIE, " What DONT you have today ??? She shows me the LUNCH menu...and says that. We order the " SUCCULENT stuffed PORK LOIN " That the staff HIGHLY recommended....and SUZIE say's " OH we dont have that......I just asked her 2 minutes earlier !!!!

Stay away, you will enjoy yourself more if you stay at Xanidu or Las Terrazas.

The snorkling was not that good....and the DIVE MASTER was terrible. Never explained where we were going or what we might see. When asked, he shruged and said " We'll see .
Dont say I did not warn you !!!! I read all the reviews before I decided.....and was very disappointed that NONE really were correct....Seems like the STAFF may be writing these...NOT the guest !!!!

9 Thank Poppbo
TBR-Manager, Manager at Tranquility Bay Resort, responded to this review, 2 December 2010
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. Isabelle and I and our staff have had a streak of good reviews since we started managing the resort, but you can't please everyone. Yes all of our reviews are written by our clients! I must say I am astounded by the negativity of this review as the gentleman in question seemed quite happy while he was here and therefore never gave us a chance to explain or correct any of the problems. In fact he even told Hill our bartender that he would be back.

Yes we are 12 miles from town and we try to make that quite clear to our clients before they arrive at the resort. The water taxi does not come as far as Tranquility Bay Resort so we try to offer the service for our clients. We charge $10 one way to town on our boats when they are going, this is the same price the water taxi charges from half way to town. Our boats do not run on a fixed schedule and usually only go to town with client arrivals/departures or tours. That being said we try to work with clients and if we have clients arriving we will go in early so that the person has the time they want in town. If our boat schedule does not fit your needs we will also charter a captained boat starting at $75 U.S. For daylight hours to San Pedro based on availability. (I don't believe I have ever told anyone it wasn't available)

The duration of the stay in question we were never once out of Orange Juice or Pineapple juice. I have confirmed with Hill that they received O.J. Every morning and in their alcoholic beverages during the afternoons. That being said we are located on a Tropical Island and yes sometimes the stores run out of produce. I was unable to purchase Basil for almost a week therefore making the stuffed pork tenderloin unavailable. We did change the type of our French Fries from typical shoe string style to potato wedges during this period. I was informed by the staff that some of the clients did not like this. I tried to get more shoe string style fries but the store was out! The wedges were available.

We do not gouge our clients. In fact when we took over management of the resort we lowered all of the prices in the restaurant so that they are equivalent to prices in town for similar restaurants. Again we are on a tropical island and food prices are quite expensive due to shipping. I might mention that the reviewer is living in Central America and not DC as his username suggests. We also hope to have our menu on the website soon! Belize prices are generally higher than Central America yet cheaper than the rest of the Caribbean. The client was on his first trip to Belize and yet recommends to you the reader another resort that he has never been to and is generally more expensive than we are.

All of the tours available in town are available at Tranquility Bay Resort. Some cost a little more due to the distance others are the same price. What costs you more, you save by being able to snorkel directly from the beach everyday. During the welcome speech on arrival we explain all of the tours available. The reviewer asked about a helicopter trip to the blue hole. We verified the price and told him which he then declined. We offered other options which he also declined as he seemed to really dislike the boat ride to and from town. I did not try to “push” other trips or tours as he did not seem to want to make the trip to town. He himself states that he read all of the reviews and somehow he missed the fact that we are a thrity minute boat ride from town. The snorkeling at the resort is great but you do have to get in the water to enjoy it! The client did dive once but I nor any of the staff I have questioned ever saw him out snorkeling. The week previous we had other groups of clients who would go out snorkeling for hours at a time and marveled about it.

As for our staff some of the comments were just mean. We are very happy with our staff this year although some may need a little tweaking. We will work with them to try and help them make sure customer service stays a priority. When I was making rounds of the restaurant with my new daughter I was actually asking how things were going and trying to make myself available to the clients. This would have been an appropriate time for the client to let us know that he was discontented. I asked this client daily if everything was o.k. As I try to ask all of our guests. During the day we have a baby sitter taking care of her and we don't take her out much as babies younger than 6 months are not supposed to wear sunscreen. We are more than available to our clients.

In summary Tranquility Bay Resort is not for everyone. We are not fancy, I consider it “laid back luxury”. The luxury of your private cabana on one of the nicest beaches on the island. The only resort on Ambergris Caye where you can snorkel from the beach to the reef. The boat ride to the resort is a thirty minute scenic ride inside the Meso-American Barrier Reef.

Cheers,
Carlos
Satsuma, Florida
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Beautiful beach, water, reef. Great food and service. Total relaxation. If you are looking for a quiet, secluded, small resort, this is it. There is no night life except for going to the restaurant/bar, and visiting with other guests. The reef is close enough to snorkel to even if you are not an expert. Shorts, bathing suits, t-shirts, and bug spray are all that is required.
The staff will set up excursions for you if you choose to leave the resort to sight see, fish, or visit the Mayan ruins.
Hill the bartender, waiter, whatever you need guy, made sure we had everything we wanted or needed. The rest of the staff was also helpful and friendly.
The ONLY complait we had was there were no fans in the restaurant/bar, which on one particularly still and buggy evening, sent us to our air conditioned room to read a book.