“If you go to Lamanai - take this tour - best tour ever”
Review of Tanisha Tours

Tanisha Tours
Ranked #58 of 78 Tours in San Pedro
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers various tours in Belize, including snorkeling, Maya ruins, wildlife, Belize River, Altun Ha wildlife, Lamanai ruins, cave tubins, Belize Zoo, zip lining.
Reviewed 3 March 2011

What a trip. If you are going to San Pedro, or near to San Pedro Belize, then you must book yourself a trip to see the Mayan ruins at Lamanai with Daniel Nunez of Tanisha Tours. I specifically say to do this tour with Daniel because he's the best tour guide we've ever had.

Take with you:
Good footwear for walking (they won't get wet unless it rains).
Bug spray (just in case - we didn't need it).
Suntan lotion.
A bottle of water (you will be fed and watered, but you may wish to have extra as it's not available all the time).
Tip money (it's deserved).
A CAMERA!!
A hat or scarf if you have long hair - the boat ride to the mainland will turn your hair into a disaster zone. You may want to bring a brush too.
A light jacket - the boat ride on the open sea can get a little chilly.
Sunglasses.
A small snack if you're a hungry horace.

Our day began with a 6:45am pickup at our resort's dock. We stopped just two more times to pick up others and then headed to the mainland where we exited the open sea and entered a lazy river. We then meandered to a stopping point to view the manatee. After telling us all about them, Daniel continued down the river, pointing out iguanas, crocodiles and numerous birds. His knowledge of the wildlife is immense, his ability to spot camouflaged fauna from a distance, astounding. We stopped for a brief restroom break, having eaten a breakfast of freshly squeezed orange juice and butter buns (delicious). I'm an early riser, so I had already eaten breakfast, but that didn't stop me having brunch :) After the break, we stopped to look at some wild spider monkeys. One of them was so tame, she climbed on to the boat! My niece was ecstatic. The monkey was a delightful, pregnant little thing. Continuing on, we saw lizards and turtles, stunning birds, beautiful flowers and more crocodiles. Daniel takes his time going down the river, pointing out the hidden creatures and stopping to allow time to view.

We got to Lamanai at about lunchtime, where lunch was provided. I love Belizean food - Beans and rice, potato salad, coleslaw, a really spicy pepper and onion dressing. There was chicken too, which was apparently very good (i'm a vegetarian, so i'm passing on my boyfriend's opinion here). Water, soda and beer (Belikan beer is the local brew and it is fab) was also provided. There are gift shops here, and a small museum. My niece bought a bracelet at a reasonable cost.

Before heading of down a jungle trail to begin touring the Mayan ruins at Lamanai, Daniel took 15 minutes to give us a detailed history of the region. He then took time on the walk to tell us about the native flora, particularly the trees. It was all fascinating stuff. Walking down the jungle trail was fun. It's a well worn trail, an easy stroll.

We approached 3 different temples at Lamanai. The Mask Temple, the Royal Temple and the Jaguar Temple. We were invited to climb the Royal Temple. It's high and steep, but well worth the view. A little 4 year old climbed with us. It was her family's 4th visit and all of them with Mr. Nunez. Those who didn't wish to climb remained at the bottom watching the howler monkeys climbing through the tree tops. At the Jaguar Temple, we saw two howler monkeys feeding. They didn't seem to be bothered by our presence and so allowed us to get great photos.

Once back on the boat we rode the river back with beers in hands. The return trip was speedy, though not so much that Daniel wouldn't stop to see something worthwhile (we saw a huge croc on the return trip). We stopped one more time for a restroom break. The boat ride back to Ambergris Caye on the open sea was lovely. We were given more beers/sodas/bananas and watched the sun setting.

It's a long day (we got back about 6:30pm) and we enjoyed every minute of it. Next time I go back to Belize, I will call Daniel and do this tour again.

All reviews
"culture"
in 3 reviews
"rainforest"

Reviewed 27 February 2011

I can't say enough about my experience with Daniel and his staff at Tanisha Tours. I went on three different tours with Tanisha Tours while I was in Belize. I was amazed at the knowledge of Daniel and his assistants. We would be going down a river or across the open water and the boat would come to a complete stop so they could show you a sea turtle, sting ray, crocodile and etc. The one thing I enjoyed the most was I never felt rushed on any tour and any question anyone had they were happy to answer. I will diffently be going back to Belize and will use Tanisha Tours again on new tours. I would highly recommend Daniel and his staff for any tour.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

We have been to San Pedro several times and gone on tours. They have all been great, BUT our tour with Danial and Tanisha Tours was outstanding.
He was amazing, showing us stuff along the way that wasn't even related to the tour. He is so knowledgable about his country and its many charms. We went cave tubing and he was very attentive, especially to one lady who he ended up having to tow along the way. He never rushed us and he is genuinely nice.
After you go on a tour with them, go to Hurricanes for a drink or for dinner and meet his family. They are as amazing as he is. Josh makes great margueritas from scratch.
I can hardly wait to go back to San Pedro to see this family again.

Reviewed 3 January 2011

We took the Altun-Ha and Belize River jungle cruise, an awesome cruise where you really get to experience the diversity of Belize. Daniel, the owner, worked with our small group to make it work. We took a tour with just 3 of us on his boat from San Pedro directly to the mouth of the Belize River (much better than other options where you have to take water taxi's to the mainland.) Along the way we saw dolphins, and up the river we saw crocs, iguanas, howler monkeys, and lots of birds. Daniel was a great tour guide and spotted many of the creatures hundreds of feet down river before we even had a clue they were there, so we were able to creep up on them and we got some great photos. He had breakfast for us consisting of some tasty homemade empenades, and our lunch was at a local eatery. After our tour up the river he had a van waiting for us to take to the Mayan ruins of Altun Ha. At the site Daniel explained the history and significance of the site and was patient while we snapped away our photos and climbed to the top of the ruins. On the way back we took the van back to the boat and took a slow ride back down the river at sunset. Then, with night setting in, we jetted across the Caribbean with our rum punches and sat back as the stars came out over the calm water. Amazing tour, very knowledgeable, talkative, accommodating and personable host. After the tour we went to Daniel's restaurant on the dock over the water and got the best ceviche we had all trip and huge lobster skewers.

I really would recommend this tour because it gives you an idea of what mainland Belize is like. You see some great scenes along the river, check out the Mayan ruins, and see some of the jungle creatures. I would also recommend Daniel, he communicated well with us and was very knowledgeable. He had everything set beforehand so it was effortless for us, very professional, and he really took pride in making sure we were having a good experience. And the price is really competitive, especially considering the convenience of his boat taking us directly up river and us not having to take a $30 water taxi to the mainland. Definitely a great tour and we're glad we did it!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I couldn't be happier with our choice of Tanisha Ecotours. Daniel (owner, tour guide) gave us an amazing tour.. full of wildlife, mayan ruins, and rum punch.

I was part of a group of three traveling in low-season (early December before the holiday rush arrives) and we couldn't find a tour-operator that could take us both to the Altun-Ha Ruins and the Baboon Sanctuary. We were told we would need a minimum of five people to book a tour. Daniel fairly negiotiated with us and agreed to take only three - the plan would be a river tour up the Old Belize River and then onto the Altun-Ha Ruins.

The tour EXCEEDED my already high expectations. Daniel's knowledge, personality, and knack for spotting wildife made for a perfect day. We left San Pedro early on a small boat and were accompanied by dolphins as we headed towards the river. We were given a delicious breakfast with some freshly squeezed fruit juice. Upon entering the river Daniel immediately spotted some crocs. For the next two hours we cruised the river and he was able to manuever the boat so that we got very up close and personal with the crocodiles, iguanas, basilisk lizards, and howler monkeys.

After the river cruise we traveled by van to the Altun-Ha ruins. After stopping for lunch (which was included), we beat a larger tour group in and had the ruins to ourselves. Daniel's knowledge of the history, Mayan Culture, and excavation process was superb. We got to really explore the ruins.. we were not rushed.

After Altun-Ha we met our boat back at Ladyville and had an awesome trip back to San Pedro. The sun was setting behind us and the rum punch was plentiful. A perfect end to a great day.

I WOULD RECOMMEND going with Tanisha - flexible tour, great guide, lots of fun!

1  Thank GlobalMiz