We are so glad we choose Cocotal! We had a fabulous time and Cocotal was the perfect spot for our vacation. Much of what I have to say mirrors the comments of other reviewers so I’ll put it in a list format for easier reading.
-The staff, Raul, Ernesto, Calvin and the housekeepers do an excellent job of making you feel at home. If something needs to be taken care of they do it with a smile. The property is in excellent condition. They obviously take a lot of pride in running the place.
-The cabanas. We were in the newest one (too far back, more later) that is very nicely furnished. Bed was very comfy and there was plenty of closet/storage space. They have provided just about everything you need. The wood ceilings are great, AC works very well and the fans are there for when you don’t need the AC. Full kitchen is very handy.
-Location is very good if you want a little peace and quiet. We rode the bikes into town (along the beach) on several occasions
-Mara- A lot has been said about her, but it bears repeating. She’s about the best dog, ever (see photos). She just adopts you and makes you feel so at home. She took us to dinner at Capricorn and folks at another table thought we were locals since we had the dog. She’d hear us riding up on the bikes and run out to greet us and be so excited to see us. The owners really lucked out when they adopted her.
-Free use of bikes and kayaks- is a big plus and Calvin will take the kayaks out to the pier for you.
-Kayaking out to the buoy and snorkeling was great fun and convenient
-The newest cabana is a little far back on the property and has more mosquito problems than some of the other areas of the property. The owner is considering building a couple more cabanas with one perhaps closer to the beach.
-A nice addition would be to have some sort of floor mat inside by the door to wipe your feet so there is not so much sand inside.
-Would be nice to have tours arranged through some additional vendors. Coral Divers tour was OK (Ismael, one of the guides, was great), but the tour could have been better. Searious Adventures had two boats break down on one trip. It may be that Cocotal uses these vendors as they will come out to the property, but might be good to investigate some other options.
-We never did get our “Welcome Drink”
-Mara likes Goldfish snack crackers
-The casita books up early and has the best location, however the kitchens in the cabanas are a little larger (ex. casita has a small fridge where cabanas have a full-size fridge)
-As with many European locations and the rest of the island, don’t flush paper, etc. down the toilet or it will plug.
-You will mostly take water taxis or ride bikes for transportation around the property and into town. The road is in very bad shape.
-The water taxis will pick you us at the pier next door (White Sands), but even if you have a reservation make sure to flag them down as they come near or they may pass you by.
-If you ride into town, but don’t want to ride back you can put the bike on the water taxi for an extra $5BZ
-If you are staying for more than 5 days or so consider getting a week long pass from Coastal Express (water taxi).
-The pool bar at the Grand Caribe (a 5-10 minute minute bike ride) has good food including fabulous ceviche.
-Ak’Bol (about a 5-10 minute bike ride) is great for breakfast (see photos)
-You can kayak out to a buoy in order to snorkel, but make sure you locate the buoy before you start out (or take binoculars in a watertight bag). The buoy is white and blends in with the tide off of the reef and can be difficult to locate.
This was our first trip to Belize. It won't be our last and it won't be our last tay at Cocotal!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cocotal Inn and Cabanas is a beachfront hotel and vacation property located 2- 1/2 miles north of San Pedro. There are eight units available for nightly rental. Intimate and low key, Cocotal is still only a bike ride from town in a quiet area of resorts and private homes. Our units are well appointed with fully equipped kitchens, air conditioning, cable TV, wifi and maid service. There is an in-ground pool, honor bar, BBQ, and free bicycles and kayaks for guest use - a beautiful property and a great value! This description is based on information provided by the specialty lodging. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Cocotal Inn & Cabanas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocotal Inn And Cabanas
- Cocotal Inn & Cabanas Hotel San Pedro
- Cocotal Inn & Cabanas Belize/San Pedro