Cocotal Inn & Cabanas
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Very Good 4/5
Excellent 5/5
Las Terrazas Resort(San Pedro)
Hotel del Rio(San Pedro)
Caye Casa(San Pedro)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsgarden cabanahonor barthe main houseresort dogbeach pathbeachfront casitawater taxiin townambergris cayegolf cartfull kitchenfree bikesfront porchself containeda short bike riderum punchbring a flashlight
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We just got back from a 9 day trip :(. We hate leaving San Pedro as we love it so much! Stayed much further north this trip and it was delightful! First night we stayed in a cabana--spacious and so much charm and the AC worked GREAT!!!! Then we moved to the lower home unit, which was spacious and well equipped as well. AC only in the bedroom but it was sufficient to keep the rest of the area cool for the most part.We loved being able to kayak in the lagoon and out to the buoy to go fishing or snorkeling. The rum runners at the honor bar were the best ever! The pool was also very nice and all the help very kind and willing to answer any questions you may have. We also LOVED Mara, the resident dog, as she is so sweet and once you give her a snack she is your buddy for life! One afternoon I took off for a walk on the beach by myself and next thing I know she is by my side the entire way--as if she did not want me walk alone! I thoroughly enjoyed her company. Very quiet and relaxing atmosphere at Cocotal...loved it!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night, we would have stayed longer if we didn't have a wedding we needed to go to more north on the island. We were trying to get to a rehearsal dinner when the water taxi didn't stop for us. The staff at Cocotal was amazing and helped us get to our rehearsal dinner safely and on time. The cabana was wonderful and we wished we could have stayed longer. If we return to San Pedro we will stay here again. My only recommendation is to make sure you know how you are getting to Cocotal if you are coming from San Pedro.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We spent 5 nights at Cocotal in 03/2013. We were picked up at the San Pedro airport and dropped off right at the doorstep of our lovely little cabana, #5. I say little cabana, but in reality the space was more than ample. Inside was a well outfitted kitchen with refrigerator, clean bathroom, and comfortable king-sized bed (plus a television that got very little use). Cabana #5 was located halfway between the road and the beach on the large very nicely maintained property, a short step to either the oceanside or lagoon docks.

Ernesto, who is on-site from 8:30 - 5:00, was a great concierge. He hooked us up with 1/2 day snorkeling trips (Mexico Rocks one day, Hol Chan the next), water taxis to town, restaurant recommendations, and of course daily use of the bikes and kayak. I think our bike rides up the beach to Sundivers (bar and restaurant) and down to Jolly Rogers (bar and restaurant) were some of our best times...good food and beachside Belikins. Also loved kayaking out to the reef where we tied up in chest-high water for some easy, unguided snorkeling.

Long story short? Highly recommended! A great introduction to Belize and Ambergris Caye, in my humble opinion.

One recommendation? If you're getting picked up by Cocotal's appointed taxi, if you're looking to buy any fruit or veg, be sure to stop by the stand next door to the liquor store...Much better selection of fresh stuff than the grocery. (The grocery did offer some terrific fresh salsa and tortillas.)

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Loved the quiet location outside of San Pedro. Free use of bikes and kayaks, hammocks on the beach. The cabana # 4 was the best for proximity to the beach with a view - but not too close. Rum punch welcome drink on arrival. Friendly staff and nice pool. The honor bar was really appreciated as well as full kitchen facilities. Nice deck to relax on after a ride into town. Value was good too. Would definitely come back to Cocotal Inn when on Ambergris Cay. Oh yes, free taxi ride if you stay 4 or more nights and the driver will stop at the grocery store on the way out to the cabana.

Room Tip: Cabana number 4 is the best location for a view of the beach.
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We visited Ambergris Caye for the first time. Selecting Cocotal was a matter of blind selection, and we were very impressed.

Personnel were polite and helpful. The Cabana was well equipped with A/C, full kitchen, shower and comfortable bed.

As an aside, I dropped my expensive serengeti sunglasses after returning one night and, in conversation, mentioned to the staff that I had lost them and wondered where to get a new pair. Almost immediately I was hailed by one of the employees. He had found the glasses and had secured them hoping the owner would be found. In many places we've been to I would be still missing them.

A concern with us was the location north of town and north of the bridge. Do not worry about this. The resort bikes are free to use and water taxis are available.

In closing, we could not have asked for anything more. Clean, comfy bug-free rooms; pleasant, honest, helpful staff; well-appointed kitchen.

We highly recommend Cocotal to anyone interested in visiting Ambergris Caye.

NWD