“The perfect place to be on Ambergris Caye!”

and 1 more site!
Cocotal Inn & Cabanas
Portland OR
“The perfect place to be on Ambergris Caye!”
Reviewed 1 April 2010

From the moment we stepped off the plane, to the moment we stepped back on 1 week later, our experience could not have been better, but it could have been LONGER! Beaulah, Carlos, Miss Christine, and Tanya are all truly wonderful people who never made us feel like we were anything but honored guests. I have already started looking for accomodations in that area for our next visit with the entire family. I can tell you that if there is ANY way to affordably accomodate 7 people at Cocotal, we will not be staying anywhere else. It really IS THAT GOOD.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Louisiana
Reviewed 29 March 2010

The service was absolutely wonderful! They take care of everything for you,
no worries at all. All we had to do was tell Beulah what we wanted to do, and she took care of reservations, billing, and even scheduled pickups from the pier for all of our activities.

We will definitely be returning, and hopefully very soon!

If you are going for a week or more, we recommend renting a golfcart and getting a weeks pass on the toll bridge to go to and form town. It just gives you a level of independence that taking water taxis doesn't. Its rougher on the back, though. Bumpy roads are fun! You can take off north and have a days adventure and picnic, that was one of our best days.

Quiet and peaceful is an understatement. Catching sunrise over the Carribean Sea while readin gin a hammock on the pier was one of my favorite things we did.

Speaking of the pier, we jumped in on our first day to do some light snorkelling and were blown away by all the marine life. Tons of lionfish, conch, pufferfish, and barracuda! Didn't even have to go to the reef!

All in all, I don't think I will ever make reservations anywhere else on the island. The place was just that good.

Give them a try, I know you'll think the same thing!

PS - When you go, make sure you spoil Mara (the resident doorbell dog). She totally deserves it...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AaronandCris
California
Reviewed 26 March 2010

My third trip to San Pedro - This is the place i'll return again and again.
The property is beautiful: lovely plants flowering bushes and Almond and Palm trees. I had the Garden Cabana - spacious ,clean, had everything I needed. (except hair dryer - if you need one, bring your own. I made do without but, i have a feeling that if I had requested one, it would have been made available to me.) The cabana porch is wonderful. Beautiful Palaple wood roof and wood furnishing in the cabana gave a Central America feel. 3 ceiling fans made use of the air conditional unnecessary. A fully equipped kitchen and dining area made eating in a pleasant option. You will have use of well maintained bikes, gas BBQ, Kayaks. There are 2 small markets within walking distance for essentials and many good restaurants a walk on the beach or bike ride close. Take good bug spray - I recommend 100% Deet and some Skin so Soft for the "no seeums". There is a long pier on the property with benches and a hammock under the covered pier end from which you can enjoy sunrise and sunset over the ocean. To get to and from town or the south part of the island, you can take the water taxi or rent a golf cart. Both are great fun.
I went diving with Banyon Bay -ask for Will - he is a wonderful dive master who knows where to find the turtles, sharks, barracuda, Queen Angels, lobsters, eels and can also point out the corals and little marine life critters. He is fun, patient, calm and will keep you safe, comfortable and happy. I also went diving with Scuba Steve of Belize Ocean Divers and had some truely exciting and memorable dives. Steve must have gills - he is a man/fish and fun to be around.
The folks at Cocotal will be like your family - very friendly, generous, warm people. Just being around them as they live everyday island life will enhance your trip.
Beaulah will be able and willing to help you arrange anything you want to do or anywhere you want to go, or anything you need. She is so very gracious. Linthon and Carlos keep the place running - from grounds work, repairs, maintanence, helping you out of jams ( I woke Linthon up about 5:30 AM to help me get my golf cart started so I could get to my fishing boat on time) carrying things for you, ANYTHING!) Tanya, the owner, was on site while I was there and she is lovely!
This is a great place for the solo woman traveler - away from the ruckus of town , away from the persistant street venders - but, near enough to enjoy the action when you want to.
I recommend that you take a day trip to Blue Hole or Turniff Atoll ( or even overnight which includes your fresh fish dinner cooked for you on the beach) with Unique Diving Adventures ( Beaulah has the brochures and can make the contact for you. You can customize this trip to include diving, snorkeling, fishing - or anything else. The boat is new, beautiful, has a top deck and covered area and a bathroom. The guys who own the buisness will be your guides. They speak perfect English and will do anything for your comfort and to ensure your dreams are fulfilled. They showed me how to fish and helped me catch 3 Barracuda and a red snapper.
Also, I fell in love at Cocotal - with the dog - MARA who loves to have her belly rubbed and her ears scratched!
You will love Cocotal!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
RI
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We just spent a week at cocotal in the two-bedroom cabana with friends. Accommodations were very nice, much nicer than the pictures make it appear online. Beds were incredibly comfortable. There is a/c in the bedrooms and good ventilation in the main rooms. There is a great grill for cooking as well as a convenient honor bar. The staff are very attentive. Beulah is there to arrange anything you want. Carlos is always eager to help you with bikes, kayaks, etc. Althought the water is drinkable, there is free filtered water in the cabana. The hotel is a relatively close kayak ride to the reef where you can snorkel. I don't think that there are many other resorts on the island that have free bikes, kayaks, and snorkeling equipment.

San Jose, CA
Reviewed 20 March 2010

My husband and I stayed here based on other reviews. We did not want to stay at a big resort and we wanted a bit of the local feel. We were not disappointed. The pictures online are exactly how it looks. It's very clean. The staff is wonderful. They were ready and willing to help with whatever we needed. Their local recommendations served us well. We stayed here for five days. They have great hammocks and lounge chairs for sunbathing. Best part- there aren't beach vendors like there are in Mexico--so you can lounge and sip in peace. I felt relatively safe in Belize and was not worried about napping on the beach by myself. We were concerned about being "out of town" but we are really glad we stayed out of town. San Pedro is a bit on the dingy side for me; the music is LOUD (even though there were no crowds); and its mostly high-energy techno/rap type music.
Be sure to bring a flashlight for walking at night. We stayed during the record cold spell, so I don't have advice about clothing. But, what you've heard about the mosquitoes is no joke. We stayed covered in bug spray the whole time so we only had a couple of bites, but those few were enough.
Our routine started with scuba diving with Ecologic Divers in the morning. Their boat picked us up at the Cocotal pier. We would dive until noon or 2pm and have lunch in town. Then we'd get a water taxi back to Cocotal, nap, and go somewhere near the hotel for dinner. We'd come back, have a few drinks and play cards on the patio near the pool, and go to bed by 11pm or so. Normally we are night owls and stay out til 2 or 3am, but there wasn't any night life happening when we were there. In fact, some fellow guests had trouble finding a place to eat after 10pm. But, there are plenty of Belikins around and the Belize Single Barrel Rum is pretty darn good, too.
We made an effort to go to Belize cultural night (Tuesdays) at Captain Morgans. It was ok. My expectations may have been high because it was the hotel used for the tv show, Temptation Island. It looked really nice on the show, but now it's just "ok". I'm not sure it was worth it, but a lot of other restaurants closed on that night so our options were limited. This was a good place to get souvenirs. Belize doesn't really have quality souvenirs or jewelry. Your best bet is a tshirt.
As for restaurants, the Capricorn was GREAT, the Palapa Bar SUCKED, the Rojo Lounge was great for ambiance and "ok" on the food, El Fogon (in town) was worth the experience, Fidos (in town) is a great place to plop down after a day of diving and get some grub and a drink, White Sands (next door to Cocotal) was good, Blue Water Grill (in town) was ok.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Upstate NY
Reviewed 15 March 2010

This was our first trip to San Pedro and we wanted something relatively close to town but still quiet and peaceful. This was EXACTLY what we wanted! It's about a 15 minute cart ride or bike ride into town, it's perfectly situated within walking distance to some great restaurants, has a wonderful staff and is all the amenities we needed. We booked a fishing trip ahead of time but I wish we had waited until we got to Cocotal. Beaulah booked us a couple more trips and she did such a great job and made it completely painless, I would have rather had her book all of them. Carlos and Lintin, the caretakers are friendly and very accommodating. Tanya, the owner, was there for part of our trip and she is wonderful! Told us where to shop for incidentals and minor groceries, and gave us some interesting info about how things in town work. Mara, the Inn dog, was our constant companion for the 11 days we were there and we love her. Wish we could have brought her home! We highly recommend the Cocotal Inn and will be returning there for our next trip to Belize.
If you stay, we recommend the following:
Aji's Restaurant just south of Cocotal - beautiful atmosphere!! Great food.
The Lazy Croc BBQ a little farther south - exceptional bbq'd chicken and pulled pork!!
The SpinDrift in town on Front Street - gotta see the Chicken Drop on Wed night
The Cubano Cafe on Front Street - the best cuban coffee. The very best.
The Palapa Bar and Grill a bit farther south of Cocotal than the Lazy Croc - great rum punch and the best views!
Watch out for:
Captain Morgan's Resort - it's a time share and they are not very friendly if you aren't interested. Lousy service at the bar, weak drinks.
Watch out for the Village Reef guys. More time share and everyone wins 'the big prize'
they tell you 90 minutes... three hours later you might get out. We speak from experience. They accosted us at the dead end of Front Street and blew most of our day. Save yourselves.
We rented a golf cart for the entire time we were there, 11 days. We could have easily goten away with a weekend or four days tops and used the bikes the rest of the time. Tanya has a cart she rents hourly if you really need to get to town. The Village Grocery was decent and you don't need to pay the bridge toll to get groceries there. Bridge toll is 10 Belize round trip. It adds up if you don't plan well.
Oh!! Don't fly from the mainland to the island!! We were a little leary of the long boat ride (an hour) as opposed to a mere 15 minute plane ride to the island. HOLY COW. Take the boat. We ended up taking the boat to Ladyville on the mainland for a Mayan Ruins tour and it was smooth and very nice. The plane ride is terrifying. The boat is way cheaper and oh so much easier to live through. We can swim, but we can't fly.... we won't be doing THAT again.

boston
Reviewed 10 March 2010

My boyfriend and I traveled to Belize and stayed at Cocotal Inn and cabanas for 3 and a half days. The grounds were beautiful. The garden cabana was just perfect for us. The staff was very helpful and very friendly, especially Robbie who really went out of our way to make our stay extra special. They have a dock that boats for scuba trips, etc will pick you up on and you can also snorkel off the dock. They also have sea kayaks which allows you to paddle out to the barrier reef to snorkel. What a great opportunity! When we went there was a couple in the ocean front casita the first night and then we had the property to ourselves for the rest of the stay as itt was the "low" season in Belize. It was pretty spectacular and I recommend staying here. And also take the bikes to town!

I put together a video of our first day on Ambergris Caye which features Cocotal Inn and Cabanas: http://belizeantravel.com/2010/01/video-arriving-ambergris-caye-cocotal-inn-cabanas-coconut-tree-climbing/

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
#11 of 53 in San Pedro
Captain Morgan's Retreat
Captain Morgan's Retreat
#26 of 55 in Ambergris Caye

Been to Cocotal Inn & Cabanas? Share your experiences!