“Have to know what you're getting”
Review of Hotel del Rio

Hotel del Rio
Ranked #37 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 19 February 2012

First of all let me say that I absolutely loved Hotel Del Rio. And for WHAT IT IS it's excellent. I say for what it is because it's a budget travel type of experience period. This is a small single owner hotel. Not a resort. We stayed in the newest cabana that had a double bed and two twin beds. the double bed was about the size of a small sofa pull out sleeper and no way were both my husband and i sleeping on it. I slept in one of the twin beds and at 5'3 was just able to not roll off either side. There was no air conditioning just two overhead fans and lot's of shuttered screened windows. But we were very comfortable in the room temperature wise. I understand some rooms have air conditioning. But as far as out of the country budget travel goes.. this place in my opinion was top notch for these reasons: very very clean! the staff was exceptional. Extremely helpful, responsive and friendly. It felt more like staying with friends than hotel living. I had one complaint and when the manager heard about it he had it fixed in about 20 minutes. The kitchen was awesome and they provided a coffee pot and for a small charge a water cooler. The location is also kind of low rent for the island. But I liked that. It felt homey and not touristy. The biggest downside for me was the noise. The cabanas are all located around one central gathering area and if people are out there talking at night they might as well be in your room. There are a lot of island dogs and they bark a lot and you can even hear some people out on the street behind the resort. The other downside is that while it is ocean front there is very little "beach" to speak of at this spot. to be oceanfront you pretty much have to go out on the dock. In summary... if you're looking to go to San Pedro and not spend a ton of money but stay in a clean, safe and friendly spot... this is it!

Reviewed 13 February 2012

What a pleasant time we had here! My wife and I spent four nights at this hotel, one in the Cabana Calista and three in the Cabana Chica (both at about US$ 85p.n.). Both were very nice, we thought; but we had asked in advance to have the Cabana Chica, since we had read that it was somewhat nicer, and indeed it was. We moved into Chica when we could. Chica has a wrap around porch and views straight across to the beach and ocean. We very much enjoyed sitting out on our porch in the mornings having our breakfast, and in early evenings having some rum & sprite before heading out for dinner.

The Hotel del Rio is the last good place north on the main beach road, as you approach 'the cut.' The seaside is the very best location, generally, if you are going to stay in the main part of San Pedro. The seaside road is a lumpy, sandy, unpaved one that is used mainly by pedestrians and golf carts with tourists. It is contiguous with the beach (such as it is) so that you don't feel as though you are by a road, really, when you're staying here. Further south, beyond the main square, you don't have a road by the seaside. But the prices go up around here, and I'm not sure that your situation really improves. I wouldn't have traded our place, for example, with a seaside place at Ramon's Village, which would have cost two or three times more. Apart from the wretched barking dogs--a universal curse of the third world, from a tourist's point of view--the hotel is generally quiet.

The staff that we met--Javier, Sweeapa (sp?) and Sylvan--were as nice and as helpful as could be. We were very grateful also to have an unlimited supply of bottled drinking water, available in the office from a large dispenser, which we used to fill up our smaller bottles. These we put in our fridge.

Perhaps the main drawback to this place is that the social, public area is right out front of the Cabanas so that if you have a really lively crowd of friends staying here, who want to socialize here rather than at a bar, you may feel intimidated about asking them to shut up. I don't (didn't), but then I'm a fairly aggressive sort of person, especially where this sort of thing is concerned.

My wife and I thought the location of the Hotel del Rio was ideal, really. It's very easy to walk from here down into the very centre of town. You don't at all need a golf cart, unlike those who choose posher, much much more isolated places north of the cut. If I were to come back to Ambergris Caye, I'd stay here again.

But I don't think I will come back, if you care to know. You can't really swim from the beaches, here; the snorkelling soon becomes an old story, with the stupid guides feeding the rays and sharks so that everyone gets a show; and the diving is mediocre, compared with that on Glover's Reef, where we spent a week, or other atolls. Where are the fish, I want to know? It's rather barren, comparatively, and much of the coral is dead. Boo hoo.

Room Tip: Generally the cabanas seem to me the more attractive options, here. The rooms in the main block be...
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We pictured these thatched roof cabanas on a remote beach----we did get a thatched roof cabana but the location is far from remote. There was a lot more noise & people than we expected and the beach is lined with guest houses and inns. But after being there for a day, we grew to like it. The cabana was basic but clean & inexpensive. We liked the rustic look and the porch was great. It is a plus to have a refrigerator & coffee maker and if you want prearrange it, they'll bring in supplies for you----we had them get us water, beer, coffee & cream. It quiets down quickly in the early evening and we laughed at the morning dog serenades. There's a great bakery just around the corner, and we had some really good local food within walking distance. Don't miss the lobster burritos & tacos, the pupusas and coconut ice cream at Waruguma's. There's a tiny yellow rest. a couple of blocks down that has great local breakfast & lunch. Can't remember the name---something Norte, i think.
You can get a boat to take you fishing or snorkeling right out front.

1  Thank LJCBRH
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I have stayed at the Del Rio on two occasions in 2008 and 2010. Both times I was in Casa Blanca on the upper floor, and it was a excellent deal (and view) for the dollar. At the northern end of the island, but still only 10-15 mins away from downtown, the hotel is ideally located. A huge plus was the Casa Pan Dulce bakery a block behind. Fresh baking at 7:30 ..... yummy! Comfortable and laid back; attentive, yet not intrusive, the atmosphere was just right. The circular table and palapa out front was a great place to meet people from around the globe. The only downside was the lack of a coffee maker in each room. There were some available and you can generally get one if you ask, but why they are not a standard feature in the room made me wonder. I can't speak for the cabanas, but I can say that Casa Blanca was a very good value and the a/c was nice to have when needed.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank islandiver7
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed in the basic rooms not in the cabanas. The room was clean, had a refrigerator, hot water, and AC. It was very affordable, and I'm glad we stayed here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We started our trip at this hotel because it had great reviews in the books. Great location, SUPER clean, and nice place. We stayed in the larger building in a room with a queen and single bed in it. Awkward set up but it worked and had AC. clean bathrooms with hot water. For the dollar it was a good place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank TravelLotsOPlaces
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Me, my girlfriend and two friends stayed at the Dream House. We don´t like the all inclusive big hotels so Hotel del Rio is a great option for this kind of travelers. The Hotel is like ¨a non commercial Ramone´s Village ¨ with better location. You will feel like you are really in Belize.
No A/C but at nights we even had to turn the fan off. Lots of wind enters throug the windows. No swimming pool as well but there is a nice dock right in front of the hotel to get into the sea and some sun.
The hotel is more or less near to the center. It´s a 10 minute walk but you can do it walking with your feet on the sea so it´s nice.
We did the fishing experience, caught some fish and the captain prepared them for lunch. It was the best fish I have ever had! Ask the staff about what you want to do and they will give you good recommendations.
I did not enter the other rooms, I can only say the dream house was a dream for us.
Fridge, hot water and kitchen worked well. A nice lady cleaned the roomm every morning

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends