“Totally unreliable and misleading”
Review of Hotel del Rio

Hotel del Rio
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We inquired with Suyapa Leslie regarding staying in a cabana. She quoted the rates for the Cabana Chica and Cabana Casita. We sent her a deposit (50% of the total) for either one of those 2 cabanas. Over 24 hours later, she emailed us and said that those cabanas weren't available but that Cabana Grande was for an additional charge. We agreed to that as the Lonely Planet and tripadvisor recommendations for the hotel were very good and it sounded like a place we really enjoy. The next day we received another email from Suyapa stating that the Cabana Grande is only available for the first night of our stay. She offered us the opportunity to stay in motel style room called Casa Blanca. Not exactly the same ambiance as a grass thatched roof hut overlooking the ocean which is the reason why we wanted to stay at Hotel Del Rio. She offered us a 5% discount off the previously quoted rates for the inconvenience. We emailed her back and requested a 10% discount off the quoted rates as we would only get 1 night in the cabana and have to switch rooms in the middle of our stay. I felt that was a very fair offer in light of the gross mistakes made by her. I requested she email us back by 10am the following day. We had already purchased airline tickets due to her assurances that the Cabana Grande was available. These were non-refundable and she didn't let us know that the cabana wasn't available until 5 days prior to our departure date. We needed to know immediately as otherwise we had to find other accomadations (which is virtually impossible at the last minute). Suyapa did not bother to email us back and we were forced to rent a condo at over twice the price that Hotel Del Rio was originally.

As an airline employee, I have had the opportunity to travel all over the world with my wife. I can honestly say this has been the worst experience we have had in over 10 years of travel. If you can't afford to have your reservations changed or cancelled at the last minute, don't stay at Hotel Del Rio. It looks great and I'm sure is a beautiful property but they have really added a lot of stress to our vacation by being completely unreliable regarding reservations.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CAL737

Reviewed 24 January 2010

We enjoyed our accommodations here, which were convenient -- a short walk from town and very reasonably priced for an oceanfront cabana. The staff was very helpful with great suggestions about shops, dining and a snorkeling tour.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I took the advice from the Lonely Planet guidebook and decided to give Hotel Del Rio a try and I don't regret it at all. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and the room was good enough for what I needed...there were nicer rooms available but I was trying to keep it cheap. The only downside was that it was about a 10 minute walk to get to the main drag in town, but it didn't bother me. I'd stay here again if I come back to San Pedro.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2009

loved this place. so peaceful and quiet yet a 5 minute bicycle ride into town. the cabanas are so sweet with a constant cool breeze coming in from the sea. you might want to rethink staying in one of these thached roofed cabanas if you have a problem sharing with wildlife. We had to move into one of the rooms as we could not cope with the cockroaches visiting us after the heavy rains. The 3 cats that hang out at the place are lovely, we had a frog visiting us on our porch every evening and the geckos to help us control the mosquitos. it was going so well till the cockroaches decided to show up too! this is when we changed rooms but def not hotel as the people who run it are great and the privacy and location are unique.
will def stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2009

My wife and I recently stayed three nights at Hotel Del Rio and were generally pleased with the hotel. We spent the $60/night for the Cabana Casita at the sea and that's what we got. The room had a double bed with mattress supplemented by egg crate foam in an attempt to make it softer. However, the room did have hot water, a coffee maker, and refrigerator, which came in handy. The room did not have A/C, but we didn't think it was necessary as the only thing between you and the breeze are some palm trees. We had the windows open at night with the fan on and felt very comfortable.

The hotel is about a ten minute walk from the busier center of San Pedro where most of the shops and restaurants are located. It will cost you around US$5 for a taxi to the hotel. I wouldn't try to walk it with luggage! Because of the distance from the town center, it was relatively quite around the hotel at night.

All in all, this was a budget friendly accomodation in a quite part of San Pedro. If you're looking for much more than a place to sleep and shower, then you might want to pull out your wallet and consider less budget-minded hotels.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sgerdesii
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Del Rio for 3 nights recently and I can't imagine a nicer stay. Our Cabana was the closest to the ocean (which is right across a sand path/road) and had a perfect little porch to hang out and just watch the day go by.

The room was large and had a little fridge and coffee maker with cups, etc.

The bed was comfy and although it was hot during the day, the breezes that came through at night when we opened the windows (actually large wooden horizontal blinds) made it more than comfortable.

It's a nice, safe, 10 minute walk into the heart of San Pedro along the beach to get into town, which is much better than actually being in town.

Considering the high cost of most hotels on Ambergris Caye, this was a bargain.

Highly recommended and I will stay there again if/when I go back.

The cabanas have to be the best bargain on Ambergris.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank markinoc
Reviewed 10 March 2009

Very friendly and welcoming staff, decent location and good price. Not terribly close in to the centre of town, but only a 10-15 minute walk.

Room was really basic. Just one sheet on the bed - nothing else (weather wasn't so great, so something more would have been better). No view from the room I was in (even though it was on an upper level, the view of the water was obstructed by another structure).

I would recommend it to a friend, keeping in mind it is a no-frills kind of place and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo