“Really loved this place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Pedro
Sunset Beach Resort
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This complex is lovely, clean and well-located. The view from our room was of palm trees, hammocks, sand and water. We found our unit to be roomy, well-stocked and comfy. The patio was a wonderful place to sit and eat or read while enjoying the ocean breezes.

The pool was nice, and there was a grill available out there, though we didn't use it. We do like to make our own breakfast, and found the kitchen to be well-supplied. There is a cute little grocery store literally steps from the complex, which we found to be really handy.

We looked around the island and really prefer this southern part- less touristy and easier to get to town. The condos have their own pier and palapa, where the tour boats will come pick you up to go on excursions, which was very convenient. We also liked sitting out on the pier to watch the fish or just have a drink and watch the sunset.

We had a great time here and will definitely come back!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Just finished up another great trip to sunset beach. This was my fourth trip and they have all been great. The ocean front view is amazing and with a constant breeze off the ocean it is a great stress reliever to just sit out on the dock under the palapa or in one of the many hammocks located around the property. The palapa is also a great place in the evening to see tarpon and rays come in, I think they are attracted to the light, not sure but it is pretty neat to see them there. There Suya Tours is right next door and I went diving with them again. As always great dives and great service. overall a great trip and I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I will start out with, the location is great, on the ocean, nice pier and Palapa hut on end. But we stayed in C-2 and from day one had AC unit problems. WE reported it every day the the caretaker in the beginning was nonchalant about it. We kept harping about hot sleepless nites and each day he would say I am going to get it fixed. Even after we asked to be moved, we were promised it was going to be fixed. Then on the 10th day we were told we had to move to unit A-6. This was not until having to contact other people to help us get this done. On C-2 if you are going to actually prepare your meals there, beware, very poorly stocked with sharp knives and utensils for cooking.

We moved to A-6. AC was great. A lot smaller unit than what I had rented at C-2 but was nice. All was going well till sitting at the dining room table and water kept dripping on my head from loft above. Water was coming through the wall and down to the lower level. Called the caretaker Chapin, and he just looked at it and said he would see what was what. Could not determine where it was coming from but did nothing else, not even mop it up or put and cloths to hold the leak. We had to do that continuously till we left two days later.

All in all, I just don't think this Resort is well maintained and kept up. Not sure if the owners know or it is the maintenance company.

Room Tip: This is a self service resort. If you are challenged with steps then be sure to book a downstairs u...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Susan A
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Sunset Beach is a wonderful place to stay. I highly recommend it. You have everything that you need right within reach. Even a little grocery store on the corner that we used a lot. We meet some great people while there from Texas to Illinois. Chapin the property manger is a great gentlemen and security is great. You never feel uneasy or in any harm.
This was our first time to Belize and from the time we landed we were welcomed by the guys from Tropic Ferry. We chose to take the boat to our first rental which I will post later on the property. Trust me when you read my review you will understand why we moved to Sunset Beach for our final 5 days. Anyway the guys took care of everything for us. We had a great time with them. Rum Punch was waiting for us when we boarded the boat. They talked to us and explained the country. Told us where to go for lunch. Book with them they are great and you will never forget this trip. When we moved to Sunset Beach all I had to do was email them and let them know. Within a day they were in contact with me and picked us up right at the dock in front of the resort. Back to Sunset beach....Great Place....Awesome Beach....Great People....And I can not forget the fishing guides. We had a awesome fishing trip with Suya Charters.....Highly recommend them. Even though I lost a fish at the boat that was OK because the beautiful water and my fiancé caught 3 which kept getting better than the last one. Go Figure....
Over all I love Sunset Beach and hope to return one day.
You can see a lot of my pictures from Sunset Beach on Facebook. Please take a look. Just Beautiful....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank stone123
DebBennett, Owner at Sunset Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

I am glad you enjoyed C1 , our condo at Sunset Beach. We have owned it since 2003 and love it!
Come back and stay with us again soon. Thanks, Deb Bennett

Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at the condo for 1 week(A-2), and it was everything we could have hoped for. The pics are exactly how the condo looks. It was clean and a very relaxing place to stay. Chapin, the manager on site even repaired my husband's suitcase frame!
The south end of the island is wonderful. San Pedro is only a short golf cart or bike ride away. The beach at the condo was expansive. We even had a massage on the beach from Mel. She was professional, and very caring. She even brought her own table. I would definitely make that a fun indulgence while you're there. Christine helped us book flights to the island as well ad tours. If we had a question or problem, she was there to help us. The owners communicated by email and made sure we had all the information we needed. They were very thorough. We are definitely coming back next year, but we are changing one thing - a longer stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in A-2 which is the middle condo. Very nice but no windows on either side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We recently stayed at one of the 3-bedroom units (C3) at the Sunset Beach Resort. The view from the condo was spectacular, and the condo had plenty of room for six. The condos in the development all appear nice from the outside, and the small, shared-pool was well-maintained. The caretaker, Chapin, is often seen working around the place keeping the buildings and grounds nice. There is a very small grocery a few feet from the condos which carries a few items, but otherwise a trip to town is required for more substantial groceries. A trip to town takes about 10 to 15 minutes. The first half of the trip is along a bumpy, poorly maintained dirt road, and a golf cart is required to go into town for restaurants and shopping. Suya Tours is located across the street for tours. We did a dive with them that was absolutely awful (dive master with a serious attitude took us on one dive in 20 feet of water and then a second dive where there was nothing to see), but then did a cave-tubing tour a few days later with Suya Tours with a much more friendly guide, Luis, that was terrific. (For diving, I would recommend calling Blue Heaven Dives with Michael Cain. We dove with them later in the week and it was great. They'll pick you up at the dock, and they'll make sure you have fun!) Kayaks are available from the caretaker, and we used them once. Bikes are available, but no one uses them. There is no available internet in unit C3. There is a washer and dryer in a shed behind one of the buildings, but, again, you have to get access from the caretaker. There's a charge to use the washer and dryer, so all-in-all its not very convenient.

My biggest complaint was that we had to go outside the unit toward the pool to use the internet. I needed to be able to check emails for work, so the lack of internet was a deal-killer for me, and I wouldn't have rented this place if I had known the truth. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up on this complaint from some other reviewers. (They could probably fix this problem with a newer, wide-range router.) Also, the AC went out one day, but Chapin got it working.

A few general recommendations for Ambergris Caye: Try "Robins" for great Jerk Chicken and the "Baker" for excellent baked goods, especially the cinnamon bread, granola bars, and peanut butter cookies. Also, please note that the bridge was out In town. So glad we didn't rent north of town because that would have been awful. Finally, don't forget the bug spray. Some days were almost intolerable because of the mosquitos.

Overall, Sunset Beach is nice, but there's room for improvement.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank DougL
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Sunset Beach Resort is a very comfortable and convenient condo for a week's stay at Belize. Located 2.5 miles south of town, one needs a golf cart to access the town of San Pedro for restaurants and shopping. But the distance from the crowded streets of San Pedro is a welcome respite for those who want most to experience the Belizean skies and waters. Our condo (A5) had beds for six, with two decks, which provided good privacy for teens and adults alike. The caretaker Chapin is excellent. A tour/dive operator is located right across the street for easy access to organized tours. The proferred kayaks are less than useful, as the heavy boat traffic between beach and reef make kayaking unattractive. while the bicycles are also free, we saw few use them. The a.c. was extremely loud, but compared to the alternative we made a fast adjustment! Towels are provided for a good pool/beach area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Banyan Bay Suites
Banyan Bay Suites
#21 of 55 in San Pedro
Grand Caribe Belize Resort and Condominiums

Been to Sunset Beach Resort? Share your experiences!