“Don't even think about staying elsewhere!! We came to "DIVE"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coco Beach Resort

Coco Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Windermere, Florida
“Don't even think about staying elsewhere!! We came to "DIVE"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Where do I begin??

We just got back from Coco Beach Resort yesterday and I couldn't wait to write about my experience on tripadvisor....

Once you arrive at Sand Pedro you will take a 5min cab ride to the boat dock where you will be greeted by the friendly staff and taken on a 15min boat trip to Coco Beach Resort. The boat ride is a breathtaking reminder of what you're about to experience in Coco Beach Resort/San Pedro. You will be greeted with a tropical drink and the friendliest staff who will cater and pamper you like no other on the island. We visited Coco Beach during the off season (September19-24) which I "highly" recommend. Everyday was sunny for us with two showers during the evening. The resort is much quieter during off season and it feels more exclusive. We stayed in the Two Bedroom Sea View Suites, words can't explain the colors, decor, ambiance and most importantly THE VIEW!! This suite was worth every penny. The pool/s with swim up bar, high jump guratto, beach like entry one ending into another are amazing and super fun. Larry the pool guy was fabulous!! He and the rest of the pool/bar staff will keep you entertained and comfortable, but don't stay at the pool the entire time, you must take advantage of at least one or two excursions during your stay at Coco beach. My husband and I were there to Dive...AC the dive master was fantastic, he took us out to the Marine Park at Hol Chan for our first dive... 30 feet max here but you will see the most beautiful Marine life and "the second-largest barrier reef in the world." The next day down to 66 feet at Cypress and 88 feet at Coco Tres. Simply Stunning!! My husband and his dad went fishing on day 3 and caught over 30 fish (red snapper, yellow tail, etc...), they also provide complimentary canoes for families to snorkel not too far out from the resort.

The only minor issue during our stay was the food situation, Coco Beach was in the process of building a restaurant as well as a bakery shop while we were there so we had to visit their sister resort next door to eat. However, they will deliver to your room and pool at anytime through out the day from the restaurant next door. Nevertheless, I'm certain the restaurant on the property will be built and ready to go once the season starts. Please visit "Rendezvous" the most amazing Thai restaurant about 5 miles north while you're there (you need to rent a golf cart from the resort to get there.) This place is to die for!!

I could go on and on, but words can't truly describe our exotic, soothing, breathtaking, adventurous experience at Coco Beach Resort. You must see it and experience it for yourself!

Thanks to the general manager and all the staff at Coco Beach Resort for making our trip a beautiful experience that is now engraved in our memory for years and years to come.

Ps. Please get a massage on the beach!!

Room Tip: One and Two Bedroom Sea View Suites have to be your first option if you can go in on it with another...
1 Thank Mona H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

After an airplane, island hopper and water taxi ride later, we are finally at Coco Beach. You are greeted by Zoby, very friendly and welcoming manager. The rooms are very comfy/big and overlooked the pool. We went during off season, it was the most relaxing time I've had on a vacation. The staff was always attentive, from the bartenders (Joe) to the groundskeepers (Larry). Get Joe to make you a Piña Colada and Larry to get you a coconut. Splurge on the beach side Belizean massage, it is so worth it. Beware of the $17 dollar (US) pizza at the bar, it's good, but a bit over priced. Get a week pass if you are planning to go into town a lot. I will be returning for many years to come. After all, I did fall in love with San Pedro.

Keller, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I had been to Belize last year when I got engaged. Right away I knew I wanted to come back. I did a lot of research and found Coco Beach Resort. I emailed and got prompt and enthusiastic responses. I made the plunge to have the wedding at Coco Beach with 13 of our closest friends and family. WHAT A GREAT CHOICE! First, all communication was easy and very polite. I know that I asked many questions and had tons of emails back and forth to the wedding coordinator Melany, who was always polite and more that happy to answer my questions along with questions from friends and family. Esmi who also helped with wedding plans and the wedding day was nothing but smiles every time I saw her. We had plans down to small details covered (even though I do not consider myself OCD or very picky), non the less nothing I asked was every impossible for them to help me with. We reached the resort and was promptly greeted, shown the resort and room and left to our devices. The next day we went over our wedding plans and that was it! If I had any questions through out the stay they were always happy to help. Staff at the resort gets a 100 in my book. I work at a retailer who is known for being the best at customer service and the staff at the resort was WONDERFUL. Joe, Deon, and Milton at the pool bar ALWAYS had a smile on their face and was ALWAYS happy to see you. They learned our names and how we were all related and part of the group. Nick the operations manager was always happy to help and tell you where the best places in town were to eat( if you did not eat at the resort).
Always on site was a representative from Tuff-E-Nuff tours. They had daily specials on excursions and was always willing to put something together that would accommodate you, never you accommodating to their time.We went snorkeling to the reef and the shark/ray alley, MUST DO THIS! This excursion was wonderful. My husband went diving and had the "best dive ever". The boys of the group also went deep sea fishing. We rented golf carts and went into town to buy groceries and visit local restaurants and shops. The road to town is HORRIBLE. But I would rather take a cart and go at anytime then have to wait for a water taxi.
We went during the off season and will NEVER go during busy season. Rates are cheaper and weather is just the same. It rained one morning and was done by 9 a.m.
The rooms where magnificent! WOW! They are done so tasteful and relaxing anywhere on the resort.(many of my guests had different kinds of rooms and they were all wonderful).
There are two pools on the resort, one 10ft with slide and jumping area(we had a blast on the slide) and a shallow pool that had a volleyball net and connected to the swim up bar.
The only down side is that it is not an all inclusive so you pay separate for the drinks and meals. I still would be more than happy to come back again!
I do warn whoever decides to visit, you will have severe depression when you come home, you will want to be back at the resort enjoying you morning beverage (or any beverage for that matter) on the patio or on the stool of the pool bar wishing you were still there.

Also, DO NOT TAKE THE WATER TAXI TO/FROM THE AIRPORT. The water taxi is a grooling 1.5 hour ride when the plane ride (in a puddle jumper) is only 17 minutes.

Room Tip: Beach front was amazing!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

A bit far from town, but the best resort we have ever stay at, we where treated like a king and a queen, upon arriving we where met at the dock by the manger with a glass of rum, the staff carry our things to our room for us while the manger gave us a tour of the resort! The pool was always amazing, temp was just right at all times! Anything we needed the staff would go out of there way to get it for us! The excursion where a bit pricy, but also worth the money! We enjoy the scuba diving, horseback ridding,zip lining, and cavetubeing! Only downfall was the last boat leaves the city @10:30 pm aftermath you have to hiring a private water taxi to get back and could cost you almost $40 per person...we will definitely be going back soon!!

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

This resort was awesome. Comfortable beds, great rooms with view. Prompt service! Everyone is so nice and accommodating from the time you arrive to your departure date. The lady I don't remember her name but the one that greets you at the dock n checks you in is so nice. She made our experience great. Joe the bartender makes the best piña coladas. Yummy! Larry is so nice and friendly he cut a coconut for me from a tree. Thank you Larry! And thank you to everyone that i didn't mention by name. Also to the ladies that massaged us on the beach they were amazing. I will definitely go back to Belize!

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view room. First floor so u can walk out from your room to the pool.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

We are seasoned global travelers and highly recommend visiting Belize and staying at the Coco Beach Resort. We originally planned to stay at the Belizean Shores Resort (next door, same management company) and were extremely disappointed to learn that the pool would be out of service during our stay. Thanks to Amy at Delta vacations for helping us to upgrade our accommodation to the nearby Coco Beach Resort (at no charge - can you believe that?!?). What we liked about the Coco Beach Resort is that it catered equally to young couples, families, singles, and seasoned travelers.

It's a long day of travel to Belize, so we recommend taking the short flight from Belize City to San Pedro. Maya Air gives great service - the planes are small with a single engine turbo prop so sit in front behind the pilot for a great view! We were greeted in San Pedro, taken by taxi (1.5 blocks) to the water taxi, and then accompanied to the resort. The resort staff welcome you at the dock with cool, refreshing towels and a tasty rum cocktail during check-in. Nick was especially cordial and helpful during our stay, and his attention was representative of everyone at the resort (bartenders, pool staff, housekeeping, grounds crew).

One of the best room locations in the resort, we stayed in 6C which was a 2 bedroom villa on the third floor with a full kitchen, open shower bathroom, and living room. The BEST feature was the open veranda which had a view of the pool area and panoramic views of the resort with the ocean in the distance. Thank you, Nick! On the third floor veranda, we enjoyed home made breakfasts in the early morning and dinner by candlelight with cooling breezes. We brought insect repellant but with the evening breeze from the veranda, we had no problems with mosquitoes whatsoever. The housekeeping staff is excellent and we would be remiss to not acknowledge how well they maintained our villa and made our experience a positive one.

Other reviewers from tripadvisor noted that food costs are higher in Belize. We therefore chose to preorders groceries online from matagrande grocery and were welcomed upon checkin with all of the basic groceries that we ordered already stocked in our kitchen. Breakfast and dinner fare, locally made chips and salsa, Belizean beer, the freshest local fruit, cheese, bread, local fish, fresh brown eggs, a bit of prosciutto, wine and fruit juice, etc. We brought a few basics from home (olive oil, spices, etc) and had gourmet meals every day. The resort did not yet have a functioning restaursnt but had an outdoor Sunday BBQ with excellent food. Take the water taxi into San Pedro and try the local restaurants (eat there or order food for take out). The local merchants and restaurant staff are very friendly and service oriented. We always felt safe and asked questions about the local food. There are three small main streets (front, middle, back) in San Pedro. Some people rent golf carts for use in town - use your legs because the streets are short and golf carts are a waste of money. Walk along the streets and visit the local shops or street vendors. Try the papusas and burritos at Waraguma (it looks a bit rustic but we are foodies and found the food to be sublime) or a local beer at a seaside bar like Rubie's or the Holiday Hotel while watching the children swim in the ocean - it was all tasty and a great experience. Other resort guests commented positively about Elvi's Kitchen and El Fogo. I disagree with other reviewers and would not recommend Capricorn's food (15 minute walk from the Coco). The Coco Beach staff or Tuff E Nuff folks will give you good recommendations where to go to eat.

There is a LOT to do in Belize. The people are very proud of their young country and will go out of their way to educate you on their history and best ways to enjoy the country's resources. Go into town each day and appreciate the culture and people - purchase the multiday water taxi pass($30). We used Tuff E Nuff Island Tours because of convenience and the staff give excellent service. Rico, Ariel, Rick, etc etc, were ALL highly customer focused and gave excellent service. We took one day to travel with Tuff E Nuff into Belize to tour the Mayan ruins (morning) and cave tubing (afternoon), and a second day to go snorkeling in the marine reserve. Would we do these trips again? Absolutely! Remember to tip your tour guide - they work hard to ensure you have a great stay.

The Mayan ruins are close to the Guatemala border - it is a long drive from Belize City and it is very hot; take a hat, wear good walking shoes for the pyramid climb and use sunscreen. The Tuff E Nuff staff took care of everything, and even had a cooler with ice, soda, water and beer (yes!) in the air conditioned van. Refreshing! Our guide was energetic and highly educated on the country, its history and culture, interpretations of the carvings on the pyramidal ruins, and he even pointed out local plants and animals along the way. The howler monkeys were in the forest making a lot of noise, so we took a few extra minutes to locate and quietly observe them as they rested in the trees. We were nearly the only tourists at the ruins - what a treat! We stopped at a local restaurant for lunch (breakfast and lunch were included in the tour) and enjoyed a satisfying and tasty plate of rice, beans, chicken, potato salad, and fried plantains. It was a long trip back to the caves and we now realize that there couldn't have been a better way to finish the daylong trip - floating by innertubes into the cool caves, appreciating its formation, and tasting the freshest, sweetest water that has been filtered through limestone for thousands of years was amazing. (Yes, we drank 5000 year old dinosaur urine! Ha!). Again, our Tuff E Nuff guide and driver were an excellent hosts and were both informative, careful about our safety and really fun. It's a long walk on a river rock pathway to the caves while carrying your inner tube and miner's helmet, so bring water shoes or water sandals and a beach towel. They have restrooms available to change into and out of your swimwear.

The snorkeling trip to the marine reserve was the BEST, and we are glad we saved that trip for the end of our holiday. Tuff E Nuff was our guide and the staff were simply excellent. Some folks went scuba diving and some did snorkeling. We've been to the Great Barrier Reef and snorkeling in the Belizean marine reserve is just as beautiful. Our snorkeling guides pointed out different types of fish, coral and other sea life. Forget about what you've previously experienced at your city's aquarium and thoughts of Finding Nemo. The Belizean reef was absolutely pristine with new coral growing everywhere (have you ever seen electric blue coral or brain coral the size of a nuclear watermelon?). The waters were teeming with HUGE schools of the most colorful fish (in the deeper part of the trench portion of the reserve, the groupers were larger than me!). We snorkeled with and among the fish - swimming in technicolor! The second part of the trip for the snorkeled was a trip to the shark and ray alley. Upon arrival, the staff added chum to the water and we were suddenly surrounded by huge numbers of manta rays and nurse sharks of all sizes. THEN we jumped into the water with the staff and swam with the rays and sharks. The staff knew how to handle the animals and ensured our safety while we touched the thick skin of a shark fin and appreciated the contrast of its soft underbelly. Surely, these will be some of the best pictures of our trip.

If you can't afford the tours, no problem. The Coco Beach Resort offers complimentary 2-seater sea kayaks that guests can use to paddle out to the reef, anchor to the buoys, and snorkel to your heart's content. The reefs located to the north or south of the buoys are in great condition and teeming with beautiful coral and fish (and we even saw a nurse shark). We brought cooked spaghetti noodles from a dinner that we made in our villa and enjoyed watching the small clouds of fish swarm around the little bits of spaghetti noodles that rained down from above. The reefs were so fun that we snorkeled for several hours every single day, so bring good sunscreen, water, and consider a UV guard shirt/UV swim shorts to prevent sunburn on your backside. We finished every kayak trip with a relaxing swim in the gorgeous resort pool. The pool was always clean and you could always count on having a bar staff member stop by to check on your drinks. We included Belizean rum ( a lot of it!), fresh fruit, and fruit juices in our online grocery order from matagrande, and used the blender in our kitchen to produce the best frozen rum cocktails for poolside or post dinner relaxation on our magnificent veranda with the panoramic view.

Time, money and an honest opinion are precious these days - this is why I took the time to share details of our experience and opinions of what to do/not do in Tripadvisor. If this review was helpful, let me know so that I would be motivated to write again. Would we visit the Coco Beach Resort again? It's romantic, it's decadent, it's incredibly affordable in the off season, it's suitable for people at all stages of life, and it has well-trained and service-oriented staff. You better Belize it!

Room Tip: Ask for the 2 bedroom villa 6c. It's a climb to the third floor but you will be rewarded with a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
26 Thank IMAbbyNormal
Grand Prairie, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

This resort was awesome to say the least. We arrived Thursday evening and upon arrival we were delivered a disturbing message. We had suffered a lost in our family while on route. The general manager showed empathy and went out of his way to ensure our stay was as comfortable as possible. The bar tenders; Joe,Deon,Milton, etc are the greatest. They treated us like family, not tourist, although we had our cameras in hand 24/7. The staff was easy to talk to and worked diligently. It feels good to go to another country and relax, but nothing supersedes the treatment received abroad. A wise person said that people will forget what you've said, people forget what you've done, but they will never forget how you made them feel. I feel like we have gained friends for life. The resort is far enough from the city to have your privacy, although not to far to experience what San Pedro has to offer....I/we will be back...stop,breath, and submerge yourself in the beauty of this country. Enjoy!!!!

Room Tip: Casitas were great...rooms well kept
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family