“Beautiful Resort, Friendly People”
Review of Coco Beach Resort

Coco Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Beautiful Resort, Friendly People”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for half of our honeymoon in Belize. We were there in the rainy season, so there were only a handful of other couples at the resort at the time we stayed there. It was quiet, but we enjoyed ourselves. There were no children at the pool, we had it all to ourselves with a few other couples. Our Casita (#5) faced onto the large pool with jumping rock and slide. I imagine it might be loud during the high season, but our casita was very quiet with doors and windows closed and AC on! The casita was very comfortable and spacious. It's great to have the full kitchen, though I wasn't about to cook on our honeymoon. We didn't use the stove, etc., but our champagne stayed cold in the refrigerator! We traveled by boat into town several times. We should have purchased the pass for $30 from Tuff Nuff boat taxi, but we didn't think we would be going into town as often as we did. Coco Beach staff was always very friends, from the time I booked and asked questions about how to get there, to the moment we left, they were always very friendly, helpful in getting to our other resort in the jungle, and make every effort to call you by name when they see you lounging at the pool.
Getting there we took the Ferry Boat from Belize City, but it was a long ride and we had to wait to get on the ferry, so rather than waste a n entire day traveling between resorts we asked the staff to help us make flight plans to our next resort. They did so quickly and easily. It was no trouble, one young guy at the desk was from the area of our next resort so he even called a friend of his who is a taxi driver to meet us at the airport for transfer to our resort. They really went above and beyond and our honeymoon was wonderful!
We had dinner at the pool bar one evening, the burger was very good. We had dinner one night at the restaurant also, we were the only people dining there so service was outstanding and the food was good too (not our favorite, but good). We also walked to Palapa Bar, the food was really great, great atmosphere and unique experience since it's located over the water at the end of dock. (don't walk there too late in the evening as it gets dark very quickly) The boat taxi will pick you up there ant take you back to Coco Beach. One thing I would take with me next time is a good flashlight for walking around outside the resort at night & ponchos come in handy in the rainy season in case you get stuck out in a surprise rain. Oh, and the "rainy season" isn't too rainy to enjoy your visit, but there are fewer options for dining, etc. as many things close for a month or two that time of year.

Room Tip: Casita #5 faces the large pool, so may be loud during peak season when families are at the pool, but...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Highland, Utah
Reviewed 12 October 2013

10 Days at Coco Beach Belize = Paradise Found: Our stay was nothing short of Unbelizable! From the moment we arrived and were greeted by the General Manager with drinks in hand and given a private tour of the entire resort we felt at home and pampered. Our room was beautiful and opened directly onto the pool deck yet it was never noisy. We were literally 10 ft from the edge of the pool. (Best pool complex on the island) This was one of our most relaxing trips ever and yet we were busy every day doing one or two of the numerous activities available. Manellie, Billie, William and the staff at Tuff E Nuff took care of our every activity need from snorkeling/diving at the reserve and Shark Ray Alley to visiting the Maya Ruins on the mainland. The sunset cruise was awesome and the mainland tour guides (Ali and Cayno) were over the top knowledgeable and accommodating. The food was amazing both in San Pedro (the staff will coach you - just ask) and at Coco Beach (Pool bar, Coco Blanco Italian, Island Tavern and excellent room service) It helps that you are able to take advantage of all the amenities at all of the Sandy Shores Resorts. Without question, the most enjoyable part of the trip was the people of Belize and the Resort - so friendly, personable and helpful. From Mike the bartender to Edwin and Candy on the boats all the way to Larry the pool guy - They all made our stay with them one in a million. They will be greatly missed and forever remembered. We will see you again soon as this has now become one of our favorites! You better Belize it baby!

Room Tip: Ground floor pool rooms are awesome. Biggest thought to keep in mind: The Belize City International...
1 Thank Bill G
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was planning a three part trip with my boyfriend: Business, Vacation, and His Birthday. From the time I booked the flight and hotel I have nothing but GREAT things to say about Coco Beach Resort. Here it goes:

- Caesy (reservations agent) was helpful, sweet, and friendly! She informed me about the complimentary transportation to and from San Pedro which she set up. She even helped me surprise my boyfriend with a couples' massage and birthday cake. She made it a lot less stressful planning the trip. She even help arrange some potential business trips to another island and gave me very informative info.
- Once in San Pedro a taxi picked us up and took us to the dock where we were greeted by a man from Sandy Points Resorts that took us by boat to the resort (he was so friendly and sweet- too bad I can't remember his name)
- Arriving at the dock of Coco Beach we were greeted by Zoby and Amy who filled us in on the resort and some of the amenities. (They too were great throughout the entire trip). We were met with welcome drinks and fresh towels.
- At the Reception Desk Omar took care of all the paperwork with a great smile and wonderful personality! And we were even able to meet Caesy.
- Zoby took us to her rooms where she gave us so much helpful information about the taxi's, reastuarants, town, etc (definitely take her recommendations on the Xtan Ha beach and O restaurant).
- We had two absolute favorite people at Cocobeach and it was Jeff (the pool bar) and Milahla (Tuff enuff on the dock). They were so sweet, friendly, and gave us honest and truthful recommendations about everything. We adore these two!
- We went to Xtan Ha (Coco Beach's sister resort) and met Elder and Lester- two GREAT guys as well! They were the bartenders and took care of us the days we visited. I found a rock and Elder even carved it into a dolphin for me. Elder and Lester gave us great tips about Ambergris and made our trip so much fun!

LOVE:
- complimentary kayaks, paddle boats, paddle boards, and sailing (if you know how- which good thing my bf knew how)
- complimentary wifi (Omar gave us a MIFI that we could take around and use the whole time we were there)
- complimentary DVD players and movies and games
- the drinks were AMAZING
- the Resort was always clean, never a single branch out of place.
- the staff at Coco Beach was BEYOND FRIENDLY and definitely made us feel right at home. From the front desk staff, to the reservations staff, the bartenders, to the maintenance guys and pool guys they were all so sweet and friendly.
- the room was always clean
- the Resort itself is BEAUTIFUL!!! There is not ONE bad thing about the staff or the features of the resort!
- the sister resort Xtan Ha has an amazing beach as well as GREAT snorkeling!!!

DISLIKE:
- Honestly the food is not the greatest. it's not horribly bad but definitely not as good as some of the other resorts. If Coco Beach had better food and more varieties I think the resort would be unstoppable.
- I hated the bike ride through the beach areas to Palapas Bar; the bikes are a little rusty and the "trail" was not for Me! It was definitely a difficult ride... so difficult I convinced my bf on getting a taxi with the bikes back to Coco Beach.

Favorite Restaurants:
- O (at Trevezza Hotel?)- the risotto was the BEST we've ever had, guacamole and ceviche was great as well
- Captain Morgan's- their beer jalapeno battered shrimp were amazing
- Waraguma (in San Pedro)- we ate here 3 times! Seafood platter was the BEST and it was only $25. The Papusas were sooooo good I made my bf take us back literally 20 minutes before our flight to get three more for the plane ride home. Great prices!
- Palapas Bar- EVERYTHING is good here! and Great prices

We had an amazing time and it was all thanks to Coco Beach and the staff there and at their sister resorts. We loved every bit of it and can't wait to come back! The only downfall of the trip was when we checked our bags into United Airlines at Belize International some THIEF stole my laptop and my boyfriend's sports watch out of our bags. When we landed in IAH- Houston our bags had been completely rummaged through and our items were missing. In hindsight I should have carried on my laptop but I was just carrying so much stuff already and did not want the extra weight. We are pretty upset about the stolen items but thinking about Coco Beach and the amazing time we had together (as well as the photos that remind us) makes the stolen items bearable. Coco Beach Staff- maybe you guys can let your guests know about our situation that way your guests won't pack any valuables in their checked luggage?

Anyways, this is DEFINITELY a resort that we recommend and where we want to revisit... hopefully this will be a yearly trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in the luxury hotel room (king size)
1 Thank Vivian N
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very simple, but very clean and very spacious. The service is awesome! Jose at the front desk was always helpful and Larry the pool guy was great too. The location is perfect for getting away from reality and being close to dive sites. I highly recommend Blue Heaven Dives with Michael Cain. He will pick you up at the resort. Overall Coco Beach is a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013
South Carolina
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a few months back on a business trip with some of my business partners. The hotel is great and the whole pool area is extrodinary. The staff are great, only complaint I could think of would be that is a nice haul to town via a very bumpy dirt road. All in all it was a great place to stay. Do be weary of the local cops. The officials are very corrupt and you can find yourself being shook down for money.

• Stayed May 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I have traveled extensively throughout our lives for work and pleasure and have had the fortunate occasion to be able to stay in some very prestigious 5 star hotels/resorts along the way. I have never had one that out does the experience at Coco Beach. I have never written a review in my life about anything involving the internet. I have never done so because I have never felt strongly enough about any place to do so. We stayed at Coco Beach to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I had emailed in my reservation that it was our special anniversary, and when we arrived, they had given us a beautiful room poolside with flower petals spelling out "Happy 20th Anniversary" on the bed with a wonderful bottle of wine. The staff was so wonderfully accommodating and friendly. And not just the staff that were waiting on us. Anywhere I walked in the resort, from the groundskeepers to maintenance staff, everyone would stop and say hello. The personal attention was outstanding and definitely made us feel so warm and comfortable. Some of the staff that introduced themselves by name as the week progressed, felt like friends. Anything we wanted, they found a way to accommodate. Several particularly stood out. Larry, who worked poolside, picked a flower and gave it to me every morning as he passed and asked if we were doing okay and needed anything. I could never say enough and I highly recommend. My husband and I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Holly H
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 October 2013

BRING BUG SPRAY! (Don't forget)
Ok, now that I got that out of the way...

My wife and I stayed at Coco Beach Resort in mid September 2013 for our anniversary. Travel to and from Belize City airport and Coco Beach resort was set up through the front desk. Be sure to take the 15 minute flight from Belize City to Ambergris Caye instead of the 2.5 hour ferry. We were met at the dock with washcloths and our luggage was taken to the room. Upon arriving in our "Pool View" room on the ground level we noticed that our "Pool View" was obstructed by trees and shrubs. We asked if we could be placed in a higher room, the staff at the front desk granted our wish. This made such a great difference in our stay. We now had a full view of the resort, pool and a good slice of the ocean. I would strongly suggust a top floor if you don't mind walking up stairs since there is no elevator. If you plan on going into town more than 3 times, be sure to use Tuff E Nuff's boat service, it is well worth the cost and the people there are very friendly. Don't expect them to be on time though, everything on the island runs on "Belize Time."

One day we rented bikes for $5/day each in order to check out our other choice of hotel which was X'tan Ha because it has the only beach without sea grass. Upon arriving at X'tan Ha we were extremely glad we chose Coco Beach. The beach at X'tan was not as big as we had thought it would be and the pool couldn't come close to Coco Beach's. The pools at Coco Beach areamazing! The swim up bar can be found in the middle pool. The interior pool features a slide/jump platform and the ocean side pool is shallow and features a volleyball net. There is currently construction next door but it was done at reasonable times during the day and it didn't bother us one bit. They are also doing minor maintenance on the hotel itself since this is low-season and most of the island is shut down or being fixed-up for the next peak-season. Again, this didn't mind us one bit. One highlight for sportsfans: we were there for a Saturday night Floyd Mayweather fight and Sunday football both of which they brought out a tv to the swim-up bar area for viewing. Side note: Belizean people are very friendly and seemed to love mingeling with tourist.

Value:
We went during "low-season" so it was half price. The clouds dominated for the majority of the time but it was still warm in the mid 80's

Sleep Quality/Rooms:
Very comfortable. We had an issue with our A/C not doing what we wanted but we didn't address it with staff because it wasn't really an issue. We could either turn it on or off, no in between. This could have been user error. We really didn't spend much time dealing with it. No biggie, just slept with the A/C on and a window or two open. (Don't let this discourage you)

Cleanliness:
Resort never had a spec of dirt or litter

Location:
Far enough from town to have an island feel, but close enough to take a Tuff E Nuff boat to town for shopping, adventure or dinner.

Service:
The real reason I decided to write this review is the service. It was fantastic! Certain people needed to be acknowleged for their outstanding customer service:

First, Larry "the pool guy" as he labeled himself. Larry was EVERYWHERE! By the pool, in the office, on the beach, at the rooms and boats picking up and delivering luggage. When you turned around, there he was. He ALWAYS asked how you were, if you needed anything and what you planed on doing that day. He was genuinly interested in making your stay unbelieveable. He called us by name everytime we saw him. We even ran into him in town one early morning while he was on his way to work and he stopped to talk to us. Larry made our stay extremely pleasant. My wife and I hope he gets rewarded for what he brings to the atmosphere around the hotel.

Also, Jeff the pool bartender. Jeff was another stand out example of what exemplary customer service should be. He also called my wife an I by name whenever we saw him. He went out of his way to find us at any of the three pools and make sure we were taken care of. He provided us with plenty of good places to eat in town (local spots with much better food that most tourist places, although Elvi's was very good.) Jeff was very fun to visit with and is a great asset to this hotel and we hope he gets acknowleged as well.

Must-do adventures:
Hull Chan and Shark Ray Alley (Half day excursion,we booked in town because it was half the price of Tuff E Nuff)
Xunantunich Mayan ruins/rain forest zip lining/cave tubing (Full day excursion booked through Tuff E Nuff tours)

Again,